Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

First thing I thought of when I read this thread was the anti marijuana ad that aired during the Super Bowl shortly after 9/11 that implied that if you smoke pot you somehow support terrorists, but drat if I can find that fucker. I remember watching it, and was probably high at the time or maybe about to get high at halftime or even get high when I got home, and realizing for the first time that the fall of the twin towers was about to be exploited for right wing purposes. It was the most stupid god damned thing I'd ever watched and I recall being personally insulted by it.

It was the first time I went "Uh oh. So much for unity". I think it aired the same year that U2 did their awesome halftime show too, which somehow made it even worse.

It was real, I remember it too. Had a girl with some pot and showed a bunch of pictures as it went something like:

"This is the weed I bought from the dealer, this is the cartel the dealer got it from, these are the terrorists that grew the weed for the cartel... and this is an innocent family those terrorists murdered just so you could have that weed."

Cut back to the weed girl horrified because she realized she murdered a young family.

Maybe it's the same one? I remember also thinking it was dumb because it showed a cartel as just being one dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Even more disturbing... one goon animated that.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

ninjahedgehog posted:

Oh come on, you can't just say that and not post it.

I don't think I have the ability to post pics, but on checking my folders, I don't seem to have it saved anywhere... :smith:

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

It's not really obvious until you see the commercials, but yeah, they're basically minions with noodle arms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWW_ZBmn-fs

That creepy minion/box thing reminds me of that talking food bag character that Rally's has now. Except the happy meal box is kind of unsettling the more I look at it.

Maybe it's that lower-eyelid thing it has going on? Just looks really unhinged, but not in a fun-crazy way. More like a last-thing-you-see-before-it-eats-your-face-crazy.

:unsmigghh:

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Cleretic posted:

One of the guys from the Yogscast once talked about this exact thing from back when he worked packaging potatoes (I believe) as a teenager, every single brand and quality level came from the exact same stock. There wasn't even any difference; people generally tried to put the badly-shaped ones in the store-brand bags, but that wasn't a rule.

I worked at a fruit processing/canning factory and the only difference between brands was the label. There were boxes and crates of labels, they'd get loaded in, slapped on cans as they went by until the run of labels ran out. The line would stop, they'd pop in the next brand of labels and fire it back up again. This went for the applesauce, cherries, pie fillings and juices.

Also we'd get cans of nacho cheeses shipped in to be labeled as all different brands. This was in northern Michigan, and after some research I found most of the brands were store brands from the deep south or southwest. Also some of the brands would have versions like sharp cheddar, and then "value sharp cheddar" which was the exact same thing.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
There was a new burger place that opened nearby about 5 years ago. Was going for the whole 50s style thing. I went there one day and tried to order an olive burger and was told they couldn't make those. Only what was on the menu. The menu wasn't much more than:

Hamburger
Cheeseburger
Hot Dog
Fries
Pop
Shakes

I ended up just getting cheeseburgers which weren't all that great anyhow. Place closed about a month or so after opening. Was talking to a friend and he said he went there quite a few times and ate all kinds of things.

Apparently there was a "secret menu" but you had to go online, find their website, (which wasn't mentioned in the restaurant or on any of their stuff) and jump through a few more hoops to get the list of code words.

I guess it was meant to be a fun game for the local college kids or something? Apparently olive burgers were called "BOBs" (Best Olive Burgers). And that's what you had to ask for. Or you simply could not get them. The thing was, either the employees didn't know about the secret menu, or they were just told to refuse special orders without the codes.

And when like 80 percent of your menu is "secret" and you won't do special orders, nobody's going to eat at the place that just has maybe 10 choices total.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

What the hell is an olive burger? Just olives on a hamburger?

Yeah pretty much. Green olives. Melted cheese. Usually mayo. Really one of those things that doesn't sound like it would work, but it does. Pretty common at bars and burger places, most even have it right on the menu.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Looks like it's just a Michigan thing. :ms:

Well I am from Michigan, and somehow I never knew that.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

sweeperbravo posted:

Was it a 5 Guys? When I went there for the first time recently that about describes their menu. Actually I don't think they even had shakes.

It was some strange one-off thing, not a franchise or chain. Had a weird "leave it to beaver" 50s style look. Was called Oh My! Burgers and Fries! Or something like that I think. Only went that one time.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

5er posted:

Since we're on about McDonalds advertising being awful for the bulk of our living memory... the worst ads are the ones where they're trying to suggest that people are making their poo poo food a part of their identities. Radio ads with monotone soccer moms describing the chores of their banal existence and McCafe being a critical part of it. Their ridiculously racist 'urban demographic' ads with minorities in low riders babbling in trendy slang about McD cheeseburgers are how dey roll.
Nobody is going to wear a shirt with a McDonald's logo on it, just around. Nobody is going to make that brand part of their every day wear, even hipster-ironically (though I bet it has been tried / done). I don't think they'll ever stop trying though.

I seem to remember a while back it came out that McDonalds had tried to pay rappers to mention the Big Mac in their music and not one would do it.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
Not sure if it's marketing or not, but it struck me as a bit creepy. I had to renew my license a while back and i picked up a pamphlet about organ donation to read as I waited. The last part was a picture of a bunch of people staring out at me with the caption along the lines of

"We're on the waiting list for your organs, so please don't smoke or use drugs---We want your organs healthy!"

Just felt a bit weird and morbid. Like they were cheerfully hoping I'd die soon as possible.

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Poorly planned yes. But please, still be an organ donor. It's important.

I definitely am, though hopefully it's now going to be printed on my license instead of a sticker, you wouldn't believe how many gas station clerks have tried to peel it off when I had to show ID, or have warned me to take it off myself, lest the paramedics make no attempt to save me and just gut me like a fish right on the spot.

It was always only the older women clerks for whatever reason. They seemed really concerned. But now I haven't smoked in about 4 years, so cleaner organs, and no weird conspiracies for me. Woohoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robox
Mar 15, 2010
Does anyone remember a few years ago when gmail was becoming a thing, Yahoo mail announced you could now get an email address like

"(whatever)@ymail.com"

and immediately got torn to shreds by everyone for trying to imitate gmail while offering absolutely nothing new.

Around the same time they were offering

"(whatever)@rocketmail.com"

addresses too, which were mocked for also being nothing new, but now with an unnecessarily long name.

I don't actually know anyone who had one of those, and nobody I know seems to remember it but me.