Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

chitoryu12 posted:

There's something similar to the "murder mystery box" idea with The Mysterious Package Company. Depending on how much money you spend, you can sign up yourself to receive updates on current mysteries or you can sign up someone else to receive mysterious packages that put them in the middle of a Lovecraft-style supernatural horror story that ends with them receiving a personalized gift related to the story.

This actually seems really interesting, though I can't imagine it's quite as ... amazing as they write it up to be.

It's like an ARG except without the game part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

InediblePenguin posted:

I wish ublock also blocked retention popovers. No, I don't want to sign up for your newsletter. Yes, my mouse DID move to the upper corner of the window, because I AM leaving your site; no, I don't want to sign up for your newsletter before I leave. Fine, okay, I'll click your loving passive-aggressive "no" option, you piece of poo poo.

Email: ____________________________________
[ YAY! I LOVE EATING GOOD, HEALTHY FOOD MY FAMILY LOVES! ]
[ No thanks, I'll just eat a poverty dog off the floor like a animal ]

get hosed

http://confirmshaming.tumblr.com/ has a whole bunch of these. Shame it hasn't updated in the last month or so.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

MariusLecter posted:

Remember the ads for 7up that went, "Make 7... Up yours! "
And the commercials had a guy running up to people and yelling ecstatically "Up yours! "

That was dumb.

Many many years ago I saw someone at school who had a shirt like that. The front said "Make 7" and the back "up yours".

I thought it was clever, but I was also 12 at the time. :downs:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
My only experience was in trying to buy a pink hair brush (one of three colors they offered, and the one on the end of the hanger). The cashier made sure to remind me that there were other colors available if I didn't want pink (despite the rest of them clearly being available).

I'm not sure how to feel about the ~for girlz~ branding. On one hand, if it gets poo poo like Legos into the hands of kids who have parents with extremely frail senses of gender, that's good. But I worry that it just perpetuates the cycle, too. :smith:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

SystemLogoff posted:

Oh no, IE will still be there.

Too many crappy-rear end applications rely on it and it's terrible code.

I just had to help someone set up a bank login in twenty loving eighteen that still required not only Internet Explorer but installation of two different pieces of software :cripes:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

silence_kit posted:

I stopped watching NFL before the Kaepernick kneeling thing, but do people really believe that he got blackballed from the league?

here you go, dumbass

quote:

Colin Kaepernick was not bounced by NFL team owners because of his skill. He was not bounced because of salary demands. And he was not bounced because he wanted a starting job. No, he was rejected by NFL team owners because he became a financial liability, kneeling for social justice and igniting a telling firestorm with President Donald Trump.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:stonk:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Dumb Marketing Moves: dad's creamy insides

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:stonk:

quote:

Dumb Marketing Moves: Squeeze us like a deflated football @TomBrady

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
one of the other nefarious things delivery middlemen like ubereats / doordash etc. do is inflate all the menu prices on top of their various fees and then pocket the difference. and that's on top of an immense pile of other poo poo they do

PhazonLink posted:

I hope the next escalation in this is drivers using GPS spoofers.(which apparently might be highly illegal and might cause bad things to happen?)

there are ways to spoof your location via gps that are as simple as installing an app. there's nothing illegal about it, but it certainly breaks gig app terms of service and the apps themselves will likely attempt to detect if you're spoofing

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is it that hard to imagine there are Americans who've never lived anywhere that has a grocery store in walking distance of homes?

also conditions that might make walking infeasible, like extreme heat or cold

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
there were a few times at the last place i lived where the gps signal on our phones would suddenly drop. was pretty fun to check my rtl-sdr and actually see the frequencies being jammed.

(it was some construction truck working on another apartment)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if i had endless money i'd buy the jacket just so that i could record it being tossed into a nice big bonfire, then i'd resell the ashes. it's what it deserves

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

christmas boots posted:

If I had endless money I would steal the jacket and then send them a picture of me burning the money I didn’t pay them

I would also burn the jacket

Shoot the guy who has it, burn the jacket, spend infinite money on legal fees :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
at least it was a high-scoring game