Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Frrancis/status/1624909919953760258

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zil posted:

Is that due to it being a literal translation or is that really the context of the ad?

That really is the context of the ad. McDonalds Norway thinks it's a good thing if you're stressed at work.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

"Stress" has a bunch of different connotations though. The word has enough ambiguity that a machine translation isn't necessarily going to get the right meaning across. If there's a universally negative reaction in Norway that word probably isn't used in the same contexts.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2012/12/good-stress-bad-stress.html

My native tongue is norwegian, the translation got it right.
Also, that article says that stress can be good during a short period of time, not long term like a job.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Feb 13, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hirayuki posted:

So it's more like "You'll face challenges working at McDonald's--and then we'll teach you the tools to conquer them"?

Except that's not what they wrote on the ad.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford is visiting Norway and the ad companies are going nuts:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

But we're not done yet:

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 20:50 on May 25, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Pookah posted:

'Gerald'?

How common is this name in the US? Because it used to be fairly common in Ireland, and even here it is extremely uncommon in the under 70s.

Alhazred posted:

The aircraft carrier USS Gerald R. Ford is visiting Norway and the ad companies are going nuts:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

run on sentience posted:

Idgi why are all the ads horny about this ship being there? Surely many international ships regularly go there?

Let's just say that the last foreign military sea vessel to visit Norway got a different welcome: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cruiser_Bl%C3%BCcher

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Last one so far, Norway's biggest milk and cheese company hopefully believe that the main thing american soldiers want from their visit is a taste of the local cheese:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

titties posted:

"Coon" has been used as the short form of raccoon far longer (probably) than it's been used as a slur and using it to refer to a raccoon has zero racial connotations.

Oh my god are you seriously trying to reclaim that word?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fruits of the sea posted:

They need to include explicit instructions to eat it with marmalade. American palate can't cope with purestrain brunost.

Brunost is basically grease with added sugar. It should suit the american palate perfect.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Schubalts posted:

The heck is spade a slur for?

In a deck of cards the spade is black.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but putting a Muslim character in a nod to La Pietà does not seem to be a good look.
The Pieta has been referenced so many times in super hero books already. I don't see why it should be a bad look this time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Granted indie comics also have to a really bad problem with ending properly too. Either they drag things out if they are popular, or they are cancelled early.
Yeah, I'm reading a comic called Thorgal that just wrapped up a huge event. It had multiple spin offs you had to read to understand the story that was, and I'm not kidding here, a bunch of vikings having to stop christianity from being the dominant religion.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

I'm sorry but did you just say your introduction to Sandman was The Kindly Ones? I can't imagine how wtf that just have been.

While I didn't start with the Kindly Ones I didn't start with Preludes & Nocturnes either. I started with whatever my lokal library had in store.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

There's a fun bit in the Lucifer TV series where the Cain (like from the Bible) shows up and complains about how he can't die and starts describing all the ways he's tried to kill himself over the years.

In the comic Cain keeps killing Abel and he always comes back to life. DC Comics also have a character called Multi-Man who's power is that every time he dies he comes back with a new power. So in one story, Joker's Laust Laugh, the prison he is in is transported to space and the wardens keeps killing him until he a gets power that can get the prison back to earth.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Jun 19, 2023

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The MSJ posted:

https://twitter.com/Dezinuh/status/1779178683841790068

FYI, that soldier was shown laughing as a fellow US soldier execute a captured Canadian soldier.

I'm pretty sure every person that plays Fallout 4 has done something worse playing the game than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

There's a part in the game where you can try to talk your way into a Brotherhood of Steel base, the woman has the option to mention she was married to a soldier, upon which they say they could use someone like her and let her in.

How does that make any sense
They say the same thing to a brain damaged courier that just walked in from Mojave desert.