Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

If you buy hosting from GoDaddy, occasionally they'll call you up to see how things are going with it, and I always tell them I'm very satisfied with the product but their commercials are horrible. Their response is always "Ha ha, yeah, we get that a lot!"

I think they're one of those companies that makes awful commercials on purpose so they go viral. Not the worst idea, either, given that their product is webhosting. Probably a better way to reach their target audience than just putting competent but unremarkable commercials on the TV. Cheaper, too, since the TV campaigns only last long enough to generate controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tracula posted:

It's why we apparently need a website for it even. https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

Although I think they're rather severely downplaying what actually happened in this film: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/78935

I feel like Does the Dog Die could be a really great website if it were a bit more tongue-in-cheek, and they wouldn't have to betray their mission statement or whatever to do it. As it stands, it's just a boring collection of lists where the dry, binary "yes or no" qualifiers are occasionally funny.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tracula posted:

I've always wondered how much :10bux: the ASPCA spends on commercials when they could be putting that money towards actually helping animals and the like.

I'm not sure but I'm sure they're better than loving PETA.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tracula posted:

I seem to remember Xbox Live being like this with Gold. Even paying about 60bux a year it crammed your dashboard full of ads for poo poo.

It's not really the same thing, though. No one's paying money for Live Gold for the sake of getting rid of a couple ads, so no one really cares if they put them there. What did suck is having to buy online passes for games if you had the gall to buy the games pre-owned, but that was a DRM thing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Hey so uh, guess what you shouldn't do in your ad.

Talk about a dead kid.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

DaveWoo posted:

Nationwide has now put out an official statement responding to the criticism of their ad.

Somehow I knew, even before reading the statement, that it would contain the phrase "start a conversation". I just knew.

Here is the type of conversation that created the ad.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

UnoriginalMind posted:

I checked the past few pages and didn't see anything about that "Macro Brew" ad that Budweiser put out. The entire thing boiled down to "We're not one of those SNOBBY CRAFT BREWS. We're BREWED HARD and don't taste like peaches." Uh. Okay.

Translation: "Help, craft beer is killing our sales and we have no way to differentiate our lovely pisswater from similarly priced lovely pisswater."

Thinking about it, I don't actually know anyone that drinks Bud Light or Budweiser. My generation skipped it, seems like.

Yeah that ad sucked, but I'm sure it played well with the very real demographic that considers all craft beer to be something for fags and hipsters. The only other demo they can even cater to with Budweiser is broke people at bars who like Miller moderately less.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Phanatic posted:

Hrm, what about this ad they ran a few months back?

Just imagining one of my redneck friends doing this with a can of Bud Light, I can't stop laughing.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The North Tower posted:

In the hopes of bridging the gap, I like craft beers, but when a friend says "hey I got you this beer," and it's a Budweiser or Miller, I appreciate that my friend got me a beer and drink it happily. Supermechagodzilla would probably say: "Beer isn't fun. No one is taking your friends from you."

Beer is actually really fun and SMG is a total nerd.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VendaGoat posted:

Only if it's the kind you can smoke/vape

Wise

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Haruharuharuko posted:

I drive a truck because I'm 6'10" and don't fit in most vehicles comfortably because of it, and it was either a truck or one of those full sized vans and I'm no creepo so redneck it was.

Buying a truck of any brand doesn't make you a redneck, besides perhaps the perception of the brand in the public. No one that talks to you for five minutes is probably going to maintain that perception of you. Me, I'm a big guy, but I'm well closer to the standard deviation than you. They want to sell me on something more important, because I can fit in most cars anyway. I'll probably never buy a truck because of the perception their marketing breeds, because I have plenty of other options.

Marketing on automobiles is really good. They don't need half of the form factors that exist, logistically. Since most of us could just buy anything and be ok, they have to sell us on something else. You've got to buy trucks, basically, so why would they spend money catering to you?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wandle Cax posted:

Well what you do is, you pour the soup from the bag (it's not an "almost bag") into a bowl. It's not too difficult.

It does have an unfortunate resemblance to a lot of cat food containers, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Millennials may not be some special new breed of human that are going to develop mutant powers and be hunted down by the normals, but it's hard to deny they're into different media and cultural attitudes. Now this in itself isn't new, but the details are. Now that social media has allowed us to scream at the top of our lungs far more efficiently, is it any surprise that people are having a hard time advertising to millennials? These are the sorts of people who wouldn't know how the public feels about pedophilia without a focus group, now they have a million voices chattering in their ears with as many different, conflicting opinions.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Last Chance posted:

that mcdonalds thing... I saw it pop up on my Facebook Feed. I hope this doesn't mean it's going to be successful.

I've heard the managers have a quota of them they have to meet, and there's a time schedule where people are prompted to do it or something and then they record you doing it? I dunno how much of that is true, but it sounds like this hilarious dystopian promotion where you are only rewarded for love when a corporation allows it. Hyperbolic, sure, but man I'm not really sure what they're trying to do with the promotion.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

davidspackage posted:

Arguably it's going back to the days where only nerds know how to use a computer. Until tablets and smartphones were a thing, everyone needed a desktop or laptop to use the internet, and needed to learn a few basic computer things.

This is seems pretty accurate, yeah. Most of my friends don't know anything about their mobile devices, just their brain-dead simple apps, and god help them if something goes wrong there. Millennials have no innate ability with computers; god, you should see how much trouble CLIs give me. I'm sure plenty of Gen Xers could make me look like an rear end in a top hat there.

I mean, younger people probably have more computer skills generally compared to older people generally, but people who've worked data entry jobs for thirty years probably know a fuckload more than some random teen in an entry-level Microsoft Office tutorial class.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think there was ever a point where a large proportion of people knew much about how to use computers. Most people who use computers regularly just memorise the steps that are required to do the specific things they want to do, and that's been the case since computers became common enough that people who didn't go out of their way to use them had to start.

I mean, it sort of depends on how you define computer skills. If you're just talking about making a computer do what you want it to do, then I think younger people are at a significant advantage. If you mean understanding why things work, then no, that's always been and is always going to be something specialized. It's the same way people know how to make a car go but only have a basic concept of what is happening under the hood.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jisae posted:

I'm not saying this is indicative of an entire generation, but a huge problem I see is how smartphones and tablets are instant gratification machines. No one needs a working knowledge of how to set one up so long as they have store associates do it for them. For example, my boyfriend's younger sister who just reached drinking age has no concept of data usage. The entire family has a 10gig a month plan, shared between 4 people. On multiple occasions the sister has racked up, by herself, 9gigs well before the month was up, much to the irritation and wonderment of everyone in the family. She just goes "oops!" and asks to use "just one more gig" by promising her dad $10 as if data usage were some kind of parking meter. She lives on her goddamn iPhone. Whenever I see her she is snapchatting, on instagram, spotify, and whatever the hell else, in the house, not bothering or even knowing to connect to the wifi. To her it's this magical machine that she can use to look at inspirational "keep calm and..." pictures and send goofy duck faced pictures to her friends for hours without thought. She is just a personal account, but I also see this soo often everywhere. These are the kinds of millennials that this new kitschy marketing is aimed towards.

So when do you get your AARP card?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rexicon1 posted:

Millennial, in marketing terms, is a useless demographic and everyone who works with these kinds of statistics knows it. You don't market to 'kids' you market to fat kids or white kids or rich kids or whatever. I'd wager that the purchasing power of 18-34 year old men (the golden demographic) is so varied that if you try to manipulate them en masse you are going to fall flat on your dick. Successful marketing in the future is going to be laser precise and emphasize the kind of totemic bullshit you see from that dumb truck commercial.

e: and I'm not saying that "build a lifestyle with our product" is the name of the game, it's much angrier and more aggressive than that. You buy an apple phone because gently caress that other product. You buy a truck because gently caress those other cars. The antagonistic fox-news approach to marketing is going to be the modus operandi in the near future.

I can't deny that this sort of thing has actively influenced my purchasing decisions.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tiggum posted:

I don't think that's true. The main difference is in what people want their computer to do. Most people, regardless of age group, can figure out how to use modern computers to do what they want them to do, because modern computers are generally pretty easy to use. But very few people of any age bother to understand why this is the way to make the computer to do that or how that relates to doing similar tasks or what to do if it's not working the way you expect it to. And most people once they have a way to do something will continue to do it that way, even if the software changes and makes that method obsolete or introduces a more efficient way to do things, because if you're not thinking about why you do it that way then it's essentially just a meaningless set of steps that results in the thing you want to happen happening. To do it another way would mean memorising a new set of arbitrary steps.

I mean, this is totally anecdotal, but I don't think I've heard a sentiment I've more immediately rejected. Mobile devices are often much more accessible to older age groups, for instance, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who just don't get it at all. Simple, intuitive UIs can only do so much when a person has simply never used anything like it ever before. The whole "desktop" concept was originally imagined to present to users an easy metaphor for them to understand a GUI, but that never stopped people from just not getting it at all despite it being really easy to comprehend for anyone that's familiar with a desk and its purpose.

Younger people understand computers better for much the same reasons why people born after the invention of film didn't dodge oncoming trains in movie theaters: the society they grew up in was already accustomed to the concept. This isn't to say young people can't be total morons or that older people can't grasp digital technology. I doubt, though, if we took a hundred people in their sixties, and a hundred people in their twenties, sat them in front of a computer, and told them to go to a given website, you'd bet on the group in their sixties getting there first.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My guess is they asked the coder "hey do you think this will work" and the coder said "yeah totally guys okay I'm going to gently caress off for lunch", and they were stupid enough to believe him.

He's probably fired.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rexicon1 posted:

I hear the Dorito taco did gangbusters among the "self-destructive bitter fucker" demographic.

Does Taco Bell have a second demographic?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

You guys are acting like you've never tried the Doritos Waffle Crunch Supreme

Maybe on the day I decide I'm sick of it all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Everyone in Illinois is racing around on Tron bikes, that's the real reason for the murder rates in Chicago.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Phlegmish posted:

People still smoke in 2015? Seems like everyone I know that used to smoke has quit by now.

It's bad for you.

*blows smoke in your face* gently caress off, nerd.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I legit sat here scratching my head wondering why the gently caress a stoner would need wrapping paper. Do they just love holidays? Does smoking weed make some people really generous?

Then I realized what you actually meant. :downs:

Weed makes you generous but generally you won't want to get up to give people gifts.

Benzos, though. People may need anti-anxiety meds around the holidays but avoid taking many while actually shopping.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 15:35 on Feb 11, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Len posted:

True but man c'mon at least try to keep them at a 1:1 ratio of working devices/chargers!

This has never happened once since microUSB and you loving know it.

Unless you're an Apple household, then god help you.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Len posted:

You're right I have four or five microusb chargers in my room, one in my car, two at work and I don't even know how many I've lost. The things I have that charge from microusb are my phone, tablet, and the ps4 controllers. It's far more realistic in the world of microusb to have at least two per working device.

Yeah, one will usually have at least a couple options for microUSB. The idea of "ask for a free charger if you need a charger" is probably the best option, even if some assholes will still ask for a charger if they have a half dozen anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Baram posted:

that's because microusb is garbage and the chargers tend to break within a year of standard use

lmao microUSB is fine, a lot of manufacturers just super don't give a poo poo about build quality.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Praseodymi posted:

I know this isn't the place for it, but can anyone give a rundown as to why it was actually a problem from a semi technical standpoint? Because computers don't store the year, it just stores the seconds since whatever epoch you're using doesn't it?

Basically, some programs in Windows didn't account for the change in millennia because it saved space in memory. This could cause errors for, say, accounting programs and poo poo, but not for 90% of what people thought it would.

There is actually a similar issue with Linux that will occur in 2038, which people don't ever talk about because most consumers don't even know what Linux is.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Praseodymi posted:

So the gist is it was people not being safe when they did date comparisons, fair enough.

That's what I was comparing it to, and that makes more sense, as anything more than 1970 + 2^32 seconds can't be represented if you're keeping track of time like that.

Yeah, that's exactly it. Just some minor issue that can be (and was) resolved through very small updates. I remember being really freaked out at the time, though, 'cause I didn't understand computers well and good lord did the media lost their poo poo about it.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 20:41 on Feb 18, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

TetsuoTW posted:

Given how much more the PSP sold in Japan, I'd be curious what their advertising was like.

(And yes I know the PSP sold because of piracy and Monster Hunter, whatever.)

Here's a couple of the first results. Most just seem to be plugging software or new hardware in relatively simple and fun ways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smuhhggK61Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuT9dtMxIFg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31QtMDZcvEw

Here's what Japan did to introduce the white color scheme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGNLGgIojk

I've read a lot about how different the Japanese market is for buying electronic gadgets and poo poo. It isn't without merit: the best example I can think of is how Pokemon Gold and Silver had a special peripheral that allowed you to connect your Gameboy to your cell phone and trade pokemon that way. The special building in-game for it was patched out in non-JP versions because seriously, no one would loving use it outside Japan.

By the time the PSP came out, though, that worm had turned. Any country with electricity and citizens with disposable income loved buying whatever silly electronic crap they can get their hands on. What I think Sony screwed up here was thinking that the PSP needed some huge push in the US and Europe to sell units, when they couldn't have been more wrong. If their marketing had been more like the stuff above, it would have sold much better. Now, unseating Nintendo in the handheld market was never really in the cards, but the PSP could have been far more successful and then maybe the Vita wouldn't be such a wet fart in terms of sales.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's honestly loving insane that they didn't let Butler try to do anything with the PSP or the Vita, because I only had my PS3 for a year before I traded it in for weed money, but goddamn if he didn't make me want one even though I didn't give a single poo poo about the console.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Haruharuharuko posted:

Well you did hear why they fired him right? He was in a Bridgestone tire commercial that had him playing Mariokart Wii. Sony lost their collective poo poo sued the company he worked for and fired him and them. Only to have Bridgestone digitally edit him out of the commercial... poorly.

lmao no, I did not hear this.

Also, losing him because he dared to play mario kart on camera is hilariously dumb. Like, okay, Sony and Nintendo "compete" for the handheld market, but as far as home consoles are concerned they had might as well not even be in the same business.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's Trademark Law 101, and his contract almost certainly forbid it as well. He should have known better than to do that in another commercial and he settled the lawsuit with Sony.

Whether or not they could legally go after Lambert has little to do with how reasonable it is. It's not like he was advertising for the competitor explicitly, he just did some poo poo for an unrelated company that had him use the product of a competitor. Considering his character for Sony was the best advertising they had going for them in years, you'd think they'd give it a break. FFS, the only reason why people buy Nintendo consoles is for Nintendo IPs, and it's not as if Sony isn't aware of this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ElwoodCuse posted:

It's really bad for companies to ignore trademark violations. They had to do it.

How is that a trademark violation, though? He was playing a character in the Sony adverts, which was not the same character as that in the Bridgestone commercial.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Not My Leg posted:

That's just breach of contract though, it has nothing to do with being a "trademark violation." Also, breach of contract doesn't generally have the same requirement of enforcement against known breaches that trademark does (protect it or lose it). In fact, most contracts have language that a party's failure to enforce its rights under the contract in one instance is expressly not a waiver of the right to enforce the contract in another instance.

Guy probably shouldn't have done a commercial that violated his contract, but Sony probably shouldn't have blown up a good advertising campaign over it. I suppose, however, that we're just assuming the campaign was successful because we liked it and didn't like what followed. It's entirely possible that Sony just wasn't happy with the returns being generated by the campaign and was looking for a reason to terminate him.

From what I read, he was no longer working with Sony prior to doing the Bridgestone advert. Still, could have been in his contract not to appear playing a competitor's games in such and such span of time.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Yes it does have to do with it. It's misappropriation and confusion. Failure to enforce rights is absolutely part of trademark law, and why no corporation will ever let something like that slide without at a minimum sending C&D notices or filing lawsuits. No corporate attorney is ever going to look at the tiniest possible trademark issue and say "eh no big deal let it go".

Okay, you're still missing the part where this is not a goddamn trademark issue. His character was not a registered trademark. He was not used by a competing company. The character was not even in the goddamn commercial, it was just the same actor playing a game. This is Sony being overly litigious, and that's exactly what makes it bad for their public image.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Feb 27, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

pentyne posted:

Whether or not Sony would've won isn't the point, they made it a trademark issue and that's what it was.

Look, when a "trademark dispute" amounts to "well, we have no leg to stand on and also do not in fact own this trademark we are alleging we do but gently caress you we're taking you to court", I would argue that there is in fact no dispute. It's just Sony wagging its dick around because no one's going to bother calling them on it over something so inconsequential.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VoteTedJameson posted:

http://www.today.com/money/starbucks-wants-baristas-talk-about-race-customers-2D80552745

"Starbucks Wants Baristas to talk about Race With Customers"
Yes, random employees with no specialized training or public relations experience, please represent our corporation in discussing "the issue of race" whatever the gently caress that nebulous bullshit means.

Maybe this is the sort of racial issues they meant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JOGmXpe5I

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ZDar Fan posted:

"Among other claims made, Leonard claimed that a federal judge was incapable of deciding on the matter, and that instead the decision had to be made by a jury consisting of members of the "Pepsi Generation" to whom the advertisement would allegedly constitute an offer."

Assuming he knew how much of an rear end in a top hat he sounded like, this is hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VoteTedJameson posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/starbucks-baristas-stop-writing-racetogether-on-cups-1.3004746
"Starbucks baristas stop writing #RaceTogether on cups"
Change not a reaction to pushback, Starbucks spokesperson says

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's over.

I don't get why they're denying it was because of the public collectively rolling their eyes so hard the rotation of the earth was slightly altered. At least if you admit it, you can claim you're listening to the consumer. This way, both the people who think you were wrong and the people who think you were right are annoyed: the former hates your disingenuous attitude, and the latter still knows you caved.

I can understand the denial if there's an issue of liability somewhere, but I don't see why that'd be the case here.