Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

midnightclimax posted:

I never really got it, and most of the explanations were fuzzy about it.

Well the definitions of generations are fuzzy to begin with. Generally Millennials are considered to be as early as the late eighties up to now, but you'll get different ranges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Moddington posted:

Surely it doesn't refer to anyone born before 1990 though, right? Otherwise how the hell did it get that name?

Because they became adults in the new millennium?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

So basically if you've turned 18 at some point in the last 15 years you're in the same demographic. That's hilariously stupid.

Well when you're making up demographics you're accepting a pretty large threshold of stupidity from the start. Marketing has never been a precision strike.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wheeze posted:

Speaking of misguided attempts to appeal to the kids these days, here's Chevy's latest press release:

The Verge's attempt at a translation. This is what the young people like, right?

Does anybody ever find it cute when companies do poo poo like this? Has any young person ever seen this kind of pandering and thought, "Wow, they really get me!"

I guess as far as advertising goes, it's dirt cheap, but eye-rolling isn't exactly worth a lot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

"YOLO Juliet" is a fairly dark title all things considered.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WebDog posted:

Reminds me of Nvidia's attempt to click with the gaming demographic in 2003. (A translation)
Even back then people were aware enough that 1337 was a holdover from old BBS and found the idea pretty silly - but the competition wasn't that unreasonable.

Though it's barely up there with Acclaims's infamous marketing strategies which went from the weird, such as a bus shelter that dripped blood or planning to have branded pigeons to swoop in during a Wimbledon match.
Then to the insane which included paying to name a kid Turok, getting your tombstone endorsed with an ad for Shadowman and offering to pay people's speeding fines to promote Burnout 2.

On another level here was the Starforce PR blunder where to counter the claims that their copy protection was breaking your CD drives they offered to pay you $10,000 if that was the case.
The catch? Transport your computer at your own cost to Russia. Surprisingly no one took up this offer.

But that still doesn't top radio station KDND's "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest which subsequently killed a woman from water intoxication. The contestants were in the studio and had to drink til they couldn't cope. That cost them $16 million in damages.

This doesn't top any of these blunders but there was that time EA sent game journalists a bunch of gross meat full of metal bits and promo material for Bulletstorm.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-mailbag-meat-murder-edition/2300-2604/

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

de la peche posted:

“I’m really excited to be a part of this partnership,” said Michael “Flamesword” Chaves, Red Bull eSport athlete. “I love that Red Bull and Destiny have a shared sense of adventure, camaraderie, and pushing boundaries that both brands embody.”

loving hell dude. Suck your master's moneycock. Embrace the feeling, for soon it will be all that you know.

Funny you put it that way, this came to mind instantly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovc-O_z4daQ

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ignite Memories posted:

They're emotes you loving babies.

Edit: how dare they give an xp boost to people who are buying into the game late, these people deserve to never ever catch up to their friends.

They're definitely missing a huge opportunity not to give people an option to buy the extra crap for a ten spot though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Zaphod, you have a truly uncanny talent for making me roll my eyes even when I agree with you in principle.

At any rate, I think most people who enjoy video games have issues with high-priced DLC and little extras developers want to nickle and dime people with. Yes, this is not a new problem, and no, you don't have to buy these products, but I think it's silly to pretend there's nothing to be discussed there in the marketing thread.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Everquest 2 had fairly realistic armor, for a fantasy game. Aside from the monk, who could have some sort of weird angled-straps top (if I remember 9 years ago correctly), the most revealing armor a woman could get was a v-neck breastplate. Like, t-shirt v-neck, not even any cleavage.

And nobody played it.

The story of Everquest 2's failure has less to do with marketing and more to do with the shittiest timing imaginable, but yeah fantasy boobs probably would have helped their numbers a bit.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

catlord posted:

I remember that CGW (I think, might have been PC Gamer) made a big deal of reviewing and comparing EQ2 and WoW in the same issue the releases were so close.

Yeah, they both came out in November. Poor bastards. Makes stuff like the Saturn versus the PS1 look even.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

mind the walrus posted:

They felt burned more than anything else. Suddenly the incremental improvements Sega was offering smelled like sinking ships, and Sega's answer was essentially "buy the Saturn." It doesn't exactly inspire brand loyalty, especially when the projects themselves are being so mismanaged.

Also Sega of America and Sega of Japan started to fight amongst themselves over the way the consoles were managed. I want to say it was SoA that decided they wanted to support all of their consoles at the same time, comparing it to a car manufacturer offering everything from economy cars to luxury cars. That's insane, though, and could have been an outright lie to keep the Saturn from strangling the CD and 32X sales.

So for a while, the Saturn had Sega competing with itself not just on the market, but internally.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Choco1980 posted:

Isn't that when SoA started using the in-house "solar system" prototype names in public releases, like the Game Gear being the Mercury and the 32X being the Mars?

Yeah. Wish I could find my copy of The Ultimate History of Video Games, it goes into a lot of detail about Sega's struggles to hold on to their slice of the market after carving it out so aggressively.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

thespaceinvader posted:

The dumb marketing isn't dumb enough for you? Because it seems pretty dumb. Especially the Ozymandias/Ed Milliband-style statue.

(But yeah, I take the point, I missed a page of bitching before posting, sorry, I'll shut up now)

It has the common problem that every niche nerd thing does where, for every funny story that everyone can enjoy, there's like a hundred more where the humor lies in the details that only involved fans give a poo poo about.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

davidspackage posted:

Lol if you don't have your manservant Enrique grind the beans using his feet

I do this too but it's not really about the coffee honestly

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Lol that people think coffee is good

I'll rip out your horn and not even bother selling the ivory

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Drinking coffee doesn't do it for me anymore, I take espresso enemas.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I usually have Enrique kill a cow with its bare hands and drag it home for me to eat whole.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

XYZ posted:

With it's bare hands? Racist. :v:

Don't be ridiculous, it has nothing to do with race. It's the poor who aren't human.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
#business has got to be the dullest loving tag on Twitter

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

darkhand posted:

Why? Walmart online selection is surprisingly big but it comes nowhere near amazon.

There is almost always a Walmart near you if you don't feel like waiting for the product you ordered. Definitely not an option for everything but I figure anyone that's had a package take much longer than advertised could see the appeal.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Karma Monkey posted:

Was gonna ask the same. Maybe the walmart near most people is good but the one near me, a 24hr super walmart no less, sucks rear end and is a nightmare experience in itself even if you can find what you want. I love amazon and I love the 2 day shipping. (1 day sometimes depending on the warehouse.) I honestly wouldn't mind waiting a few more days if I had to just to avoid the stores here, but I wouldn't pay for prime anymore.

The whole point of buying poo poo online at Walmart though is that they've got it waiting for you in one location. I certainly understand not wanting to actually walk around the store, though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My most Walmart experience at Walmart was probably about eight years back, the time when me and a few buddies were trying to get one of their moms to buy alcohol for us. We gathered up the funds for a handle and gave her the money, then mingled toward the exit as, we assumed, she would head toward the register.

Instead, she jogged ahead of us and just walked out the door, setting off the alarm, and just kept going. A cashier saw her and yelled out, then asked us if we noticed her with any merchandise, at which point we of course shrugged our shoulders and the cashier thought "gently caress it" and gave up. We spent about another ten minutes in the parking lot trying to get our goddamn money back if she just planned to steal it from the start, but no one came out or anything.

That we weren't caught can only be explained by understaffing and intense apathy.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

sweeperbravo posted:

Ewww. All I can say is "why."

It grabs your attention! You're talking about it! It sets the brand apart! This is great marketing! :shepface:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rough Lobster posted:

Pretty much this. I'm not in United's corner by any means, but this was a lose lose scenario for them. Next time something like this happens and it actually IS a case of trafficking or whatever and they ignore it fearing a PR disaster, they employees could easily get jail time or massive fines or something.

The best way to prevent this from ever happening again is ignoring drunk morons on flights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I heard that if someone commits a crime on an airplane the sky police come on jetpacks and arrest everyone in it.