Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The context being dove is bad at this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
How would being in the advert change anything.

An actor is just an actor, they have no creative control.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I really want him to explain how acting in something makes you an expert.

Like how does that work

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ein cooler Typ posted:

is this commercial racist? or is it ok because Chinese culture is different

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Few8kJ0zfnY

on a side note you know what really grinds my gears. when searching for this video I had to scroll through a bunch of "_______ react to racist commercial" before finding the commercial

Holy poo poo.

China never figured out dog whistles

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I want to see what they think white people do.

I also like they think Hispanics just naturally act like Catholics and only picked Catholicism for the synergy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ignoring stuff and hoping it goes away usually works yeah.

Definitely doesn't make things worse.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Sir Lemming posted:

Really? "If we drink milk, the Nazis win" is the hill you're gonna die on?

Why would I die in a battle I won.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

actually if you dont want to be hurt by anti-racist boycotts dont do anything because they have never been effective on either side of the political spectrum. Remember how the chick fil a boycott went?

If your gonna do this don’t just flail about, pick and argument and stick with it.

Don’t make two arguments that conflict with each other.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think people figure gay marriage has passed so hey let bygones be bygones.

That wouldn’t surprise me.

Liberals suck so much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

And then he was in a phone call with some marketers on how not to be racist and complained because people let Colonel Sanders say the N word.

Yeah this is basically what ended him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Otana posted:

Extremely dumb, but at least they changed it and didn't try to argue or double down. Amazing that no one spotted it in the design phase though.

Give goons five minutes and they will double down for them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Crimpolioni posted:

suicide squad made like 750 million on a 175 million budget, not counting dvd sales or merchandise or w/e...

And it was a bust, because Hollywood is insane

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Isn't a Sears retail job an average job? I guess the other dude could have a better source.

Don’t reply to Phanantic, he isn’t interest in discussing poo poo.

Sears retail is certainly an average job.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

He is correct in that Sears used to be a much better company than it is now. To try and suggest that 'sales guy at Sears' was ever more than 'a nice, but averge paying job' is ridiculous and they both know it.

Yeah I mean imagine arguing at any point a retail job is not average. It may be better than modern retail jobs but that says more about now than then.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Who cares what percentage of the population worked retail, that has literally nothing to do with the argument in question.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I will say even for Phanatic this is an incredibly lazy argument. There are so many concern troll ways to go but intentionally misinterpreting the argument is the laziest route.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean it’s not like it matters, income now versus the 70s being massively different is a well proven fact so it’s not like it matters. Hell the original argument didn’t even dispute this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

The cost of college alone is enough to place the 70s way way ahead of modern times. Slam out a degree that you pay off (sometimes in full) with a part time job. Get a great job, move wherever you want to go, and enjoy a cheap, spacious, and conveniently located home. Now you're forced to go where the job is and if its located somewhere like San Francisco, Seattle, New York, etc you better enjoy renting at exorbitant prices since you'll never get a home loan with those student debts. There's so many vectors and markets that were better back then that its loving absurd to argue otherwise.

Yeah the tech boom actually destroyed a lot of costal cities and that didn’t become a thing until the 90s

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean anyone that says privately owned companies are objectively better to work at has some......iffy opinions to be charitable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

The ad was horrid, and it’s disgusting how some people are trying to argue the semantics and accuracy of genocide itt.

I think it’s more the goon thing where they were wrong but can’t admit it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I like how now when presented with actual evidence it’s proposed that the guy is lying for some reason.

Just like stop digging this is getting pathetic. Just accept you were talking about something you were t well versed in. It happens to everyone. You can be wrong online.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Who else speculated on it that hasn't been cited yet? I can find no instance of it even being mentioned outside of this specific conflict, and there's nothing to indicate that these attempts were actually successful, or that conscious biological warfare in the Americas ever resulted in something that could be reasonably termed a genocide. It's such a weird thing to focus on when there were so many well-documented and recurrent atrocities committed by Europeans that did result in a heightened mortality rate for Native Americans.

It doesn't mean the ad is appropriate, it's still disrespectful and it never should have been approved.

I think it’s weirder to pull a pointless semantics game IMO.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hey, I agree with you in that the treatment of the Natives for the past 400 years, and still going, has been terrible.

But right now? Right here?
I don't really care. Best I can do is hope the politicians I vote for maybe do something about it?

The only Native I have ever met was a guy who was loving (and later married) his daughter and is now serving a life sentence.

I had them in some college classes a loong time ago, and then about 3 years ago, I bought a storage unit at auction that ended up having belonged them.
Brought her back some "family" photos....then later she had to make it weird by trying to friend me on facebook.

Man how could you think this is a good idea.

What does it even have to do with anything

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

What are you even talking about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sunken fleet posted:

rip that guy who got banned for sharing an anecdote and asking how he can help

I miss RG3 too.

Nah I can’t even joke about that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

pentyne posted:

https://variety.com/2019/music/asia/korea-burning-sun-scandal-reveals-a-k-pop-crime-cartel-1203174904/

In this case "prostitutes" might actually just mean K-pop girls who get a call and are told to play nice or loss their career immediately.

In America when this happens we shrug and let it go

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Infomercials oversell because a character slightly spilling something isn’t exactly attention grabbing.

It doesn’t have much to do with disabilities even if the products themselves actually are useful to them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Beep boop you do not spend to the maximum value of your money beep boop

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

HopperUK posted:

That makes a lot of sense. Frankly our colonial past is underhighlighted too. Hardly anyone here knows about the various atrocities committed by the British imperial state and it's hosed up.

You guys can’t really move past as long as Churchill is still treated as a hero.

We Americans got through it by just never stopping our imperialism.

Big brain move

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s about where they should be. Though even for his time Winston was pretty bad

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I watched Churchill the Hollywood years and he seemed an alright sort of fella?

He intentionally made the Indian famines worse because he hated Indians. He would tell anyone who would listen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

None of the players are actually giving opinions. It was an exec and now the players are basically being hounded until they give an opinion. So that makes no sense

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That’s not true, you are not expected to have an opinion on every political thing that’s insane.

It’s just racism and bad faith right wingers with some hand wringing libs thrown in for flavor

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If your telling someone to stick to sports when you don’t have much of an idea what your talking about isn’t that a bit hypocritical

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People did say no comment and they were treated basically the same way as James is now

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

bob dobbs is dead posted:

My understanding is that, as a considered and systematic form of bigotry, it's developed independently again and again in a bunch of Christian and Islamic cultures. Other places are not so systematic.

One possible exception is various Vedic religions. But it's still hard to unwrangle the effects of colonialism and stuff there

That’s how it basically was in China, large scale homophobia only really started appearing with the introduction of Christianity. Before it was an accepted position though with the restrictions you would expect

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Memento posted:

Absolute cowardice of them to hide some of the replies. That shouldn't be a thing, but I guess twitter doesn't want to let anyone offend the poor Brands™.

Nah hiding became a thing because checkmarks started getting offended people disagreed and made fun of them online

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

So Twitter helped them by making a feature that’s basically “click this button to show all the best owns”

But they don’t have to see them

So ego protected

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Schubalts posted:

What does this even mean.

When your so used to the liberal framing of issues it effects your mindset even if you aren’t a lib

Alternatively you are such a lib you apply that framing to every single problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

charles martel (aka charles "the hammer" martel) is a popular figure in right wing white nationalist groups because he lead an army against some muslims.

curious choice for a username.

Mostly in Europe.

I doubt many American ones even know about Tours though maybe a few.

Though Muslims aren’t exactly the main focus of American nationalists nowadays.

Tours is pretty funny in that it’s a battle neither side cared all that much about, despite its historical significance.

Kind of like the Muslims versus the Chinese in Central Asia.