Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

'Draft beer' seems extremely nondescript and general. What kind of beer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I still don't get what it means. This is worse than cow tools.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

We're also not buying into the idealized 1950's fantasy that a lot of Gen Xers at first rebelled against, and then quickly tried to get for themselves -- at least not the same way.

Yes we are, we just don't have the money yet.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Barudak posted:

So Coca-Cola had a twitter it ran where you would send it hateful messages add #makeithappy and it would make a "feel good image" out of the text. Sounds misguided but innocuous right? Welp, Gawker decided to test if it had any limits to what it would repost after seeing an image made out of the infamous 14 words and it turns out Cokes twitter will make pictures out of line by line tweets of Mein Kampf. It has, of course, since been pulled.

I don't get this story at all. The bot converted negative tweets into happy pictures. So what does it matter that people were tweeting excerpts of Mein Kampf?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

People still smoke in 2015? Seems like everyone I know that used to smoke has quit by now.

It's bad for you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

*blows smoke in your face* gently caress off, nerd.

It's okay to be an over-25 white trash smoker, no need to get defensive. *adjusts glasses, walks out of the bar passive-aggressively mumbling while still carefully avoiding eye contact*

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I think that might just be you projecting, friend

In a shocking turn of events, goons are socially awkward and can't handle innocuous small talk

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I can't believe their marketing campaign involved discussing a highly charged sociopolitical issue, with the intended purpose of [???]

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Barrista: Hello! How would xe like xis coffee today?

Customer 1: *gesticulates wildly and makes a series of fart noises with his mouth*

Barrista: *takes notes and nods thoughtfully*

Customer 2: Yes I'd like a large--

Barrista: *clears throat noisily*

Customer 2: ...a large mocha--

Barrista: Alright, get the gently caress out, we don't serve your kind here.

Customer 3: Hi, I'd like a Venti black coffee, and speaking of which, how do you think society can overcome the self-feeding cycle of disproportionate African american incarceration?

Haha

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

scamtank posted:

All the Lidl stores I've known follow the "Moldovian operating room 1991" school of interior decorating. Harsh fluorescent lights, weird and impractical (check-out) furniture, constant security presence and pus-yellow tile floor for easy blood cleanup.

I think they're knowingly leveraging the ">>>> HUDDLE HERE POORS <<<<" atmosphere.

It's definitely deliberate, the no-nonsense approach is part of what allows for the low, low prices and they want the customer to know it. Colruyt takes it even further, all of their stores are basically gray, impersonal, no-frills warehouses. And you know what, I don't care what the interior of a supermarket looks like as long as prices are low and employees aren't treated like poo poo.

ryonguy posted:

Yes, in case you folks in other countries weren't aware that is literally how anti-union American businesses are, that laws had to be made to prevent them from firing people for trying to organize (and doing so anyways with loopholes).

These laws exist in Western Europe as well, except I guess they're taken seriously and you're going to have a bad time trying to fire someone even remotely involved in union activities.

mr. mephistopheles posted:

You see, at-will employment is mutually beneficial because you can quit any time without the employer having any recourse, which is totally not a thing you could do otherwise without first giving them free reign to fire you for no reason. :v:

Actually, in countries (and presumably American states) with employment termination legislation, the employee as well as the employer have to respect a period of notice (or grant severance pay), though it's obviously shorter in the former case. You can't just quit.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 15:12 on Apr 12, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Avenging_Mikon posted:

They also protected him from being disciplined over a stupid reason: 40%of his sick days were Fridays and Mondays. Assuming a random distribution, that's what you'd expect.

This is literally a Dilbert cartoon from probably the nineties or something. It's amazing that real-life bosses/HR people could be that dumb.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Davfff posted:

Not really, not anymore.

Maybe he's right after all, if I was to try and pinpoint a time where this stopped being true, it was about 15 years ago...

If you look at political and cultural developments in Western Europe, there is a clear break between the happy-go-lucky 'politically correct' nineties where it was assumed that Western liberal democracy would go on to conquer the world and immigrants would inevitably absorb our superior values, and the right-wing populist backlash that occurred in many countries during the 2000's when people realized this wasn't the case. It wasn't caused by the attacks on the Twin Towers, but it was certainly part of the same trend, and that date is as good as any. You don't have to get all 'Americans :argh:'

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Davfff posted:

Look at you yanks using your big clever words.

What the gently caress are you talking about, I'm not a 'yank'.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Davfff posted:

If you look at political and cultural developments of pies, there is a clear break between the happy-go-lucky 'politically correct' nineties where it was assumed that Western pie flavours would go on to conquer the world and immigrants would inevitably absorb our superior pies, and the right-wing flavour backlash that occurred in many countries during the 2000's when people realized this wasn't the case. It wasn't caused by the Butter Chicken pie, but it was certainly part of the same trend, and that pie is as good as any.

You don't have to get all 'pies' :argh:

Oi matey yank, u wot m8

The Brits and their former penal colonies have their own culinary traditions, don't you go thinking they were influenced by America to come up with food this terrible.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 18:23 on Apr 19, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Did someone say selling video games using boobs?

I just bought this and I don't even own a Genesis.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assumed the Midwest was boring until I read that post. That's crazy. I myself am a farmer from the eighteenth century so I just eat potatoes and kale every meal.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Finally, the photographer's hypocrisy exposed.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

NLJP posted:

When was this, 1273 AD?

Battle of the Golden Showers

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Except I made it clear I don't watch the BBC. Tell me again how I'm a moocher.

The government has no way of knowing who watches the BBC unless they switch to a subscription-based model, which is not a very appealing idea for various reasons.

Anyway, Flanders got rid of its television licence more than a decade ago, but rest assured that the tax burden is simply shifted elsewhere. That's the only way to fund a public broadcasting service unless you allow unlimited advertising.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I Am Crake posted:

I'm 23, I make about 19-20k euros living in the Netherlands, which I think translates pretty directly to dollars if you consider cost of living etc.

Is that after taxes? Because if it is, that's not that bad at all if you're just starting out.

I'm 25 and my current job doesn't pay much either, but I have decent benefits and almost 100% job security.

OctoberBlues posted:

I got a credit card when I was 18, but didn't really start using it until after college, and now I am 28 and pretty much use it for everything. My friends all seem to use debit cards, which makes no sense to me... Just make sure you don't spend more than you have, use a credit card, pay it off in full every month out of your checking account, get free money/products/trips/etc.

You can get a credit card just like that in the United States? I think you need a steady income before you can apply for one over here.

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Jun 21, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think it's Leslie Mann.

e: wow that's actually an actress that exists, I'm really good at this.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Don't mind if I do.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A game without cleavage? What, was it made by monks from the sixteenth century? I ain't playing that poo poo unless I can ogle at some luscious titties. Who's with me?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

otiose (comparative more otiose, superlative most otiose)

1. Resulting in no effect.
2. Reluctant to work or to exert oneself.
3. Having no reason for being (raison d’ętre); having no point, reason, or purpose.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Danger Mahoney posted:

But back to dumb moves in marketing... I like how the beef industry has tricked stupid Americans into eating rare or medium rare steaks so they can't detect the declining quality of the beef that only comes out when cooked well done.

Nothing American about that, steak snobs in Europe will laugh in your face if you order your steak well done.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

f#a# posted:

Pop quiz: what's wrong with this promo image for Trump that was deleted?

Here's the exciting answer!

I could get behind this. The man has vision.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That Robox posted:

I guess it was meant to be a fun game for the local college kids or something? Apparently olive burgers were called "BOBs" (Best Olive Burgers). And that's what you had to ask for. Or you simply could not get them. The thing was, either the employees didn't know about the secret menu, or they were just told to refuse special orders without the codes.

I can't believe they went out of business.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It sounds bad, but I don't much like olives.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Oh they do now? Huh. When did they switch to Gregorian calendars?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cumslut1895 posted:

What a dumb name lol

Haha

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Will I be able to live out my bizarre sexual fantasies with the Oculus Rift Y/N? That's the real deal breaker.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What exactly is being marketed in that comic?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Not sure I see the connection between vodka and sexbots.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I usually arrive at work at around 8:30 and leave at 5. If you arrive late and take long lunch breaks it's possible six is your regular quitting hour. But even then, actually following your contract shouldn't make you a rebel unless you work for some horribly exploitative sweatshop company.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The problem is simply that their niche has become too crowded and the only thing setting them apart is their legacy. But that's not enough to make you go out of your way to a McDonald's over a virtually identical burger place that's more convenient.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really the biggest thing was when cigarette advertising was banned. Banning tobacco is a poor idea in general for a lot of reasons but the adverts would often use cartoon characters from popular shows in the past (go look up Flintstones smoking adverts on the YouTubes some time, it's baffling how much they used to get away with).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdHSIquSHMw

Haha

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

But those specific cigarettes gave Fred lung cancer, so the clerk had the last laugh.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

hackbunny posted:

:v:: Let's make a charity fitness event to help the homeless survive the cold season!
:): How are we going to call it?
:v:: "Let's help them, doing Zumba!"
:): Er, ok. What about the campaign?
:v:: The poster's ready! wanna see it?

:): :suicide:

Hahaha

It's just the sort of thing you'd expect from Italy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

BrigadierSensible posted:

Has anyone posted the Heineken - Hotel Babylon thing yet?

The gist of it is, the BBC were making a program designed to appeal to young people with bands and pop culture and all that jazz. Heineken sponsored it. Then an email came out from Heineken to the shows producers in which Heineken were unhappy with a) the amount of shots of their product in the show, they wanted more, and b) the amount of "negroes" in the shows cast and audience, they wanted less

I see they really grok the zeitgeist, excellent marketing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The thing is that men have really low standards and even if you look like rear end a bunch of guys will still want to have sex with you.