Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

mcbexx posted:

This is how Germany's biggest savings bank decided to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall.

Alright, I'm not sure I'm getting it. It's a banner with the logo of the bank on it, on a building near the Brandenburg gate. Is the building a famous one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
With respect to the whole Bud Lite slogan discussion,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow7pwIDhl5c

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Games Workshop is the company that is best known for producing the Warhammer 40K miniatures games, but before their excursion into the grimmest and darkest future, they made Warhammer Fantasy, which has continued plodding along under the shadow of its younger brother. Just recently, GW announced they were rebooting the Fantasy setting, and everything was going to change forever with the new edition.

It is... well... there are all sorts of crazy monkey-cheese rules, like if you pretend to ride an invisible horse, you can reroll some of your dice. If you have a mustache that's bigger than your opponent's, your hero character gets a bonus. If you yell nonsense at the top of your lungs, your units can charge further. This isn't a joke, this is the official ruleset encouraging its players to be as obnoxious as possible during games. I can only imagine what the stores that host these games are going to look like, or how long it takes before all this nonsense is banned by the various shops these games are played in.

To prove I'm not joking:

Oh, and also, there are no rules for the 'point cost' of the various units. You can just put as many little miniatures on the table as you want, and there's no kind of balance to control for that. Just give as much money to GW as you can spare, and you'll win! Unless you're playing against somebody who has even more disposable income and even less sense.

From the thread in Traditional Games:

Cyclomatic posted:

Had a discussion about AoS, and they were basically saying "well, you just have to discuss the game before you play it. It isn't a tournament game or blind pickup game".

Which made me realize, the game literally doesn't have the language to support having a discussion about the game that requires having a discussion about the game to play it. How do you agree on the quality and quantity of the stuff each player is going to bring, how do you agree on the stuff like how much stuff can be summoned.

Their response was it was easy. We bring like 1 hero each, X of whatever unit each.

So I said what if I showed up with 1 goblin hero and you showed up with 1 Sigmar the holy god marine in flying power armor that shoots Jesus lighting from his hammer. That wouldn't be an issue?

To which they said, well that would be no fun. It would be like if you showed up with a Warmachine battle box and I came with a 50 point list and that no communication is no fun. Which to me, the need to drop out of proto-caveman-sigmar-barter-grunt-talk and use points in Warmachine to illustrate the point, somehow seems like a fatal blow to the premise of not needing points to communicate about the game you want to play...

The game is a loving train wreck. gently caress you GW for making me secretly hope this would somehow be cool.

I've never even played, but watching this whole meltdown unfold over in TG has been absolutely delicious.

EDIT: A few more for the road

Lamprey Cannon has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Jul 4, 2015

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

pookel posted:

So I asked my ex about that WH Fantasy thing and he says he's seen the rules and talked to the local players who have read them (and are excited) and there's none of that monkeycheese bullshit in there. Googling some phrases quoted here led me to this thread and to 1d4chan, and nothing else. So I'm going to say it's probably fake.

All from the official rules page at http://www.games-workshop.com/en-NZ/age-of-sigmar-compendiums

From the Demons of Chaos compendium:

p.29 The Mask of Slaanesh:
The Endless Dance: If you are dancing
while rolling the dice for the Masque’s
attacks in the combat phase, you can reroll
any failed hit rolls. If, at any point, you
can coerce your opponent to join in, you
can re-roll any failed wound rolls as well.

From the Orks Compendium:

p. 8 Waaagh! Drummer
Models in this unit may be Waaagh!
Drummers. You can add 2 to the charge
rolls of a unit that includes any Waaagh!
Drummers, but only if you bellow
‘Waaagh!’ when rolling the dice.

From the Vampire Counts Compendium:

p.9 One Bat Short of a Belfry: Konrad is a
violent lunatic, and his temper does little
to help his stretched sanity. If, during
your hero phase, you talk to Konrad von
Carstein, you can re-roll all hit rolls of
1 for him until your next hero phase. If
Konrad von Carstein talks back to you,
re-roll all failed hit rolls instead.

Yep, they're all real.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

grittyreboot posted:

My friends swear by Blue Apron. It gives them a reason to try recipes they never would've thought of. If they really like one they save the recipe and make it on their own later.

There really is a better solution to this problem.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Improbable Lobster posted:

MaxFun seems like trash and their ads have made me actively avoid any non-Mcelroy shows they host.

Flophouse is still good, and Elliott Kalan holds the key to my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Tagichatn posted:

Liminal States was really cool.

It was definitely good, but it really needed another pass-through or two by the editor. Near the end you've got that building-sized thing that comes out of the pit, as the helicopter's taking off, which is mentioned once and never brought up again.