Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Dr_Amazing posted:

What's with the mutants trying to touch type on their phones? Do you guys have little doll hands or something?

Seriously. One thumb to swipe, one on standby to manually type anything that doesn't come up automatically. It won't get you 90 wpm, but it's perfectly fine for writing an email or texting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Ryoshi posted:

The original DS even came with a weird plastic thumb pad on the strap if you needed more accuracy than a finger but didn't want to mess with the stylus. I personally thought it was great but I never saw anyone else using it.

:aaa:

Eleven loving years, man. You've blown my mind.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Hirayuki posted:

Does no one read manuals anymore? :(

I was a young and excited teenager. I probably made it to the part where they showed how to turn it on, and stopped there.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

I don't think there were quite enough animation loops of the pigs carrying suitcases. Better add in like ten more.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Pastry of the Year posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjGDDALPhBU

It's entirely different, it's entirely different.

Sounds like Milton from Office Space.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

stringball posted:

Dunno if anyone else feels the way I do with the fuckload of dumb emoji merchandise, I work at a Walmart and I've seen the following, all an emoji: piggy banks, beam bag chairs, plushies, cups, shirts, glasses, cereal bowls, birthday/other cards, jewelry, temporary tattoos

There's so much of it and its seriously plastered on anything with pretty much zero creativity involved

I really don't them, and Pepsi in particular makes me sad because instead of doing cool stuff with the designs (dr pepper has cool artwork on some) of the bottles or do something along the share a coke/song, but nope let's just plaster emojis all over our bottles because that's what all the kids love now!!

I really want to know what went down in the conference room

"hmm kids and teens love these emojis, let's put them on our bottles to show we love emojis too!

It just makes me think of that painful Chevy press release.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
That would be Qualcomm, at the 2013 Consumer Electronics Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7qTHbOEiDY

It's so beautiful. :allears:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

My Lovely Horse posted:

Oh yeah, there's also a man from Finland who owns a hydraulic press and does with it exactly what anyone would.

This chanel is incredibly pro-click, especially later videos where companies start sending him unusual things to crush. He even gets a transportable press to take on the road.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

The Door Frame posted:

“They are absolutely fragile. They are black rocks on a white background. You walk there and the footprint is going to last hundreds or thousands of years,” Castillo said. “And the line that they have destroyed is the most visible and most recognised of all.”

Hah, I know this guy. It takes a lot to piss him off. He was very pissed off.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Something something eye candy.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Ranma Fan Art posted:

Smashing Pumpkins do scream sometimes but not in that song

I'm guessing they're referring to this part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-r-V0uK4u0&t=204s

And now I'm going to have the song in my head for the rest of today.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Lynx (Axe's name in some countries) was super popular at my high school, so whenever I smell it all I can think of is a boys PE class. That's not attractive.

All I think about when I see Lynx is that kid who died from using too much. Not the best marketing move.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Philistines, Muslims, you know, basically the same thing.

These are the same people that point to passages in the Koran about warring tribes to argue that Muslims worship violence.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Waffleman_ posted:

I like the implication that millennials were distracted by the powerful face of Paul Newman, an actor they probably only know from the animated movie Cars, which did not feature his face.

Oh god, I never made the connection between Newman's and Paul Newman. It even has his loving portrait on it. :doh:

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

I'm bummed they didn't include the classic radium ad.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Agrinja posted:

Maybe slightly late, but didn't most of the Radium or Nuclear products have a complete lack of anything actually active? It was my understanding that it was more just marketing speak at the time, and getting used as dumb ad copy because your average shmuck lacked the means to actually tell if their irradiated hemorrhoid massager actually emitted anything.

That sounds possible. Even the things with radium (watch dials and such) probably didn't have enough to really affect the person buying it. But it did gently caress up a lot of people in factories who applied radium paint to things.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I can see Walmart, a few years from now:

"New York's been hit, and we're NUKING our prices!"

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Wasn't the point behind the latest plot that people were flipping their poo poo over a black Captain, so the writers went, gently caress it, and made the white one a hydra operative?

I don't really follow these things though, so I admit I could be wrong.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Here's a fun one: Republican villain and Bill Maher stooge Ben Sasse wrote a predictably awful book, but the reviews report an unexpected objection. Props to the hero working at Sasse's publisher. :patriot:

Gotta love the poor publishing assistant whose job it is to copy-paste "This review has nothing to do with the contents of this book and is misleading!" on every single negative review.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

spog posted:

I often wonder that if someone came to the US from, say somewhere in the Nordics, and set up a large business but with the philosophy of treating their staff well, whether they would be a huge commercial success.

My company's based in The Netherlands, and we get a flavia machine with 15 types of coffee, 30 min paid lunch breaks, and 20 days of PTO with the number of days increasing after 2 years. And we're doing OK.

So, yeah. That's my anecdote.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Memento posted:

There are also plenty of people who think it's OK that Chris Brown did what he did because he can sing songs good. If you asked them if someone else who did the same things should be locked up, they would probably say yes.

Also people that think it consisted of a drunken punch or something, rather than him actually trying to kill her.

(Not that beating your partner is ever justified of course)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

sweeperbravo posted:

What the gently caress

I have so many questions about how this came to be made

I'm guessing they took a picture of the products they had in stock, and didn't notice? But now I want to know who's buying hundreds of them, and what they're sticking them to. Stickers seem a weird choice for Neo Nazis, but what do I know.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Krispy Wafer posted:

Goons just wanna goon. Still, it’s a bad ad.

I’m not sure if I’ve told this story before, but I was in a training class and they wanted to make a team name based on the instructor’s last name and I, being the only person from the South, had to immediately object to all of the choices as our team lead’s last name was Lynch*. Often people just don’t know how awful something sounds because they’re from homogeneous environments and have never had to think how a minority might react to their statement or plan. That’s this ad. It’s not racist, but it is inconsiderate of race.

*Lynch party was one of the choices.

George Lynch's band is named Lynch Mob, and I always wondered how that got green lit.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Everything about that is painful. My favorite is the facebook collage made by googling "black people."

https://twitter.com/MattOrtega/status/1053033283301384192

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Barudak posted:

It takes an incredible brand value to get there, and can only work for goods that can sell extremely limited quantities at absurd markup. Luxury car manufacturers actually do this; theyll make a run of a car of only 50-100 and offer it exclusively to the highest purchasers. There are dozens of one-off ferrari and porsches that you had to be on waiting lists to buy the car that ultimately just sit in some obscure russian oligarchs fifth garage.

My husband's coworker is on his third or fourth Ferrari, and he's super pissed that they won't let him buy the [fill in the blank] new exclusive one. You can't buy it, they approach people individually to offer to let them buy it. It's driving him crazy that he has pools of money but he's not special enough to have the option to buy a $300,000 car.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Phlegmish posted:

Coworker? And not CEO or something? Goddamn where does your husband work, my coworkers are all losers like me

He works at what used to be a start-up. Some of these guys in in that world make crazy money doing the start-up hopping thing. You involve yourself in a new company, market the poo poo out of it until someone wants to buy it, move on to the next one. Repeat every 2 years or so. They're poo poo companies without viable products, but if you do it enough you either get lucky with a good buyout, or you make enough from 10 small ones to buy your six million Ferraris.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I caught their live show when they were touring a while back, and it was surprisingly good. I don't know if they used different writers, or it worked better when they were feeding off the energy of a live audience, but it was much, much better than the show. There was also a good amount of improv between the actors, which made it feel less stilted.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Doggles posted:

The British army is falling behind in their recruitment levels. Let's see what they come up with the get a young new generation to enlist!

:britain:

Maybe I'm being a crabby millennial, but "snowflake" =/= too much compassion. Maybe if they'd gone with SJW since, you know, they're fighting for social justice?

I mean, it's still stupid, but it's annoying that they couldn't get their buzzterms right.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Tiggum posted:

There's really no good way to read this. Either they're saying that their vodka is poo poo that real connoisseurs wouldn't consider vodka, or that Russians are drunks. Either way it doesn't say anything positive about the brand.

I think it's supposed to be "It's so popular in Russia, it's basically a daily staple." But that's not really less insulting.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
Duke Cannon got hurt in a railroad accident and now has to ride a pretend bike at 9am as part of his occupational therapy. He wouldn't have lost the leg if someone had picked up their cellphone and called for help rather than tossing him a lug wrench to hobble on. He's glad the brand caters to the first responders who helped him, but after his hospital bills, Duke can't afford overpriced lovely soap.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

That's up there with the woman in a wheelchair who won a treadmill on The Price is Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m1z06Hg-3o

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Len posted:

I've still never been at a Hard Rock Cafe despite staying in a hotel where the room service was literally Hard Rock Cafe food.

And on my senior trip I wanted to go to the one in Baltimore but I was out voted to eat at Chipotle instead because "a hard Rock Cafe is just a Hard Rock Cafe but a Chipotle is really good food"

Is Chipotle not a national chain? There are at least 2 in the Inner Harbor, and like 5 more in the general radius.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Panfilo posted:

I'm seriously wondering if a sizable percentage of those people are just missing a gallbladder or something. Because that'll do it.

Or even just eating too much. Chipotle burritos are dense as gently caress, depending on how much you squeeze in there. Add chips and a drink, and it's a lot of food, even if it doesn't look like it. If I eat there, I'm going to feel sick because I've just scarfed a brick of food. (Still love their salads, though, even though they're not any healthier)

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I mean, if he staffed it as well as he did the rest of the White House, takeout probably does tastes better.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

The MSJ posted:

How soon did we forget Kony 2012? Must I go on a nude rampage to make everyone remember (that was bad marketing, but unintentional).

There's a Kony sticker on a traffic sign near my office that's been there since that was a thing. It's like a little time capsule.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
I'm kicking myself for not getting a screenshot at the time, but when I was job hunting I found a posting for a printing warehouse near me. The job title was "Rockstar Binding Press Operator."

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
North Face thought it would be cool to replace wikipedia photos with ones that had their product in them. And then they made a video bragging about it.

https://twitter.com/adzebill/status/1133491341004926976

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

IUG posted:

I now want to photoshop their garbage into some horrible places to be, and make a GBS Photoshop thread about it.

EDIT: Yeah so I went ahead and did that.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890753

This is beautiful, you're doing the lord's work.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Parasol Prophet posted:

As a professional twitterperson myself, I would like to plead for my family by saying that we are but pawns following the approved brand "voice" handed down from on high. It's a call-center job, but with all the horrors that 8 hours of straight social media can and does provide.

Edit: Although, once another brand/anyone remotely famous responds, generally only the actual corporate marketing team can respond. I can't argue for their logic.

So do you do a bunch of brands at once and have like a style sheet for each? I'm totally curious how that works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm fine if corporations pretend to care about a good cause if it means more donations or raising awareness or whatever. If a soulless corporation supports being gay then that means it's going mainstream.

There's a great hbomberguy video that's probably been posted in this thread before, but is worth a watch if you have 20 minutes. One of his points is that brands are only seeing net positives from these "controversial" causes because more people support LGBTQ/BLM/feminism than don't. Which makes me really happy. We're all dollar signs, but there are more dollar signs willing to support good causes than there were even a few years ago.