Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Acclaim was nothing but bad decisions. Shadowman, the game based on a comic from the same comic company that did Turok, was about a voodoo priest(?) battling the forces of darkness. So where else would you advertise it other than renting space on gravestones in cemeteries?

Acclaim thought that owning a line of comics to tie-in with all their games would be a good marketing decision, so they actually went ahead and bought the comic company that published Shadowman for $65 million.

Just in time for the comic book industry to collapse, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

funkybottoms posted:

Michele Bachmann's crazy rear end was using Tom Petty's "American Girl," much to his chagrin (forgot about McCain/"Pink Houses" ((which also reminds me of his idiot daughter blogging about his campaign and listening to Stereolab))))

From the same campaign, I believe Ann and Nancy Wilson asked Sarah Palin to stop using "Barracuda" for her theme music (though that was more, "Stop using our song, we don't like you," than, "You haven't a clue what this song is about, do you?").

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stottie Kyek posted:

Local ads here in Scotland are always terrible.

Local ads? Here in Norn Iron, they tried to get us exercising with this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Not so much a dumb move in marketing, but do you remember the Chupa Chups TV advertisement from a few years ago that got progressively shorter and increasingly badly-dubbed (with some really awkward editing to disguise how badly-dubbed it was) every time it was broadcast? There's this kid in the supermarket with his mum: the first time I saw the ad he said something to the effect of, "Look! New Chupa Chups lollipops! Can I have one, mum?" then in the last version his dialogue is, "Mum, please buy me sweets," dubbed in by the whiniest voice possible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Before I scrolled down, I almost expected it to say "COME AND PLAY, MY LORD. EVONY".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
About five years ago, there was a small British/Irish crime movie called A Belfast Story, which starred Colm Meaney as a detective trying to unravel a web of murder and intrigue during the Troubles. I have not seen it; I have heard it is not very good.

But what brilliant tie-in did the film-makers come up with to promote this movie?

A "nail-bomb kit". :cripes: