Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I googled this and all i can ask is why?
I want to see the market research that lead them to pick TWD of all things.

From what I can gather, it's not the fact they're crossing over with TWD. This year they also did a collab with Godzilla that went over extremely well. Its the combination of their decisions to make them a) tournament legal, b) unique cards (the Godzilla cards were just reworded cards from their just-released kaiju set) and c) limited run. So if one of these cards became key to a meta-defining combo down the line, these cards that already cost $50 for the set would go way, way up. It'd result in a situation where only the people wiling to spend a possible grand on a single card would be the ones winning tournaments. It's happened before with common cards, and is extremely poor planning on their part, especially since they might not ever be able to print these again if their TWD license expires.

This is combined with on the same day them announcing a new banlist that neglected to do anything about a handful of cards that are so imbalanced that long-time players have confessed they no longer find the game fun anymore because of them. Like, so imbalanced that your deck won't be tournament-viable without them. This has happened before with a card called Jace the Mind Sculptor and it led to a huge disinterest in the competitive scene for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I can understand them not expecting Omnath to take off like it did. That's the classic mistake of thinking that having it cost 4 different colors would keep it from being too powerful (spoilers: it didn't). But they have no excuse for Oko. Giving a player the ability to permanently morph any creature or artifact giving them any trouble into a mediocre elk? Once a turn? For three mana? On top of that, using that ability each turn makes him harder to get rid of. And that's just one of its abilities. They don't even have the excuse that Jace did where planeswalkers were still new and they were still feeling out how strong was too strong.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

A story in 2 parts:

https://twitter.com/Omega_J12/status/1779255901595349429