Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Alpaccadderall

sorry I'm late for the fun

"Coon" is one of those slurs that, I'm aware it's a slur, but I've never, ever actually heard it used outside of like, Blazing Saddles, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

mllaneza posted:

Yeah. I'm an old who is also apparently also out of touch. I got shut down for using that term in a meeting two years ago, and not just by the next generation. You gotta try and keep up, but you also can't beat yourself up when a term passes out of currency and you missed it, just learn and keep moving forward.

Using that term how?

I am aware that spade can be used as a slur, but -- not to defend it or anything, I sure don't use the word and don't care if it's replaced -- I feel like I've not heard it been used as a slur since All in the Family. Or really anywhere else but All in the Family.

Same thing with coon; I'm aware it can be a slur, but the only time I've ever heard it used that way was from some old timey movie. A friend recently said to me, "I haven't seen you in a coon's age," and then he quickly followed it up with "That's not racist, by the way." Which makes me think it absolutely was racist, like he was getting away with something, but for dumb out of touch me, all I know is people maybe at some point thought raccoons lived forever??

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
If it walks like a duck
Talks like a duck
This is an example of profiling
Don't be a cop

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Is Ms. Marvel's ability the same as Mr. Fantastic? And is that intentional, with their weird similar names?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Thomamelas posted:

Functionally they are pretty similar. His skin is extremely hard to pierce, she has a healing factor. And her code name is a reference to one of the ones Captain Marvel used. Kamala Khan is a huge fan of Carol Danvers.

Oh wait

There's a Captain Marvel and a Ms. Marvel? God dammit I'm so behind

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Thomamelas posted:

Captain Marvel is like the most passed around mantle in comics. poo poo, four people who used that code name in the comics have appeared in the MCU because it's been passed around so much. Mar-Vell (Annette Bennings character in Captain Marvel), Carol Danvers (the title character of Captain Marvel), Monica Rambeau (played by Akira Akbar in Captain Marvel and WandaVision) and Phyla-Vell (in Guardians 3)

I guess my confusion was that -- I thought Ms Marvel was Captain Marvel. Somehow in my head I never considered they were two different characters. Er, three diff -- four different characters

E: I gotta say gang, what ultimately keeps me from investing anything into comic book lore at all is how casually things are brought back. You guys are like, "This popular character died. Fan theory is she'll return when..." and that whole thing rather makes the death seem like she just broke her pinky toe or something and needs to stay off it a bit. What are lasting consequences for superheroes? Are there any? I mean, besides all the guilt they have to shoulder.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:01 on Jun 8, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Not being at all a comic book fan or anything, I really liked Raimi's Spider-Man 1 and 2. What makes 3 ridiculously stupid is the dumb poo poo they did with uhhhh the guy who actually killed his uncle or what the gently caress ever. Undermine the thing that we've been following for three movies, it feels like a real gently caress-you to anyone who cared. Which I didn't, but I was offended by it all.

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:22 on Jun 16, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

"French Twitter Losing Its Mind Right Now" is (not in this example but) the kind of awful headlines I sure can't wait to see go away. They've been on the decline for a while but gently caress I'd love to go back to headlines that aren't written for Buzzfeed.

This is a general complaint about most news outlets.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Anza Borrego posted:

A bit of a detail but that was one the most under appreciated movies of 2020

Palm Springs was not underappreciated.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Sentient Data posted:

Pogs would be absurdly profitable and I'm surprised they haven't been relaunched yet. There're a shitload of specific products they could tie in together, and their production cost aside from licensing is as close to 0 as you can get

I have been waiting twenty years for the pog resurgence WHERE IS IT

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Use the power of somethingawful to bring pogs back. We made Chuck Norris relevant, we can do pogs.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Is it "ex" or is it "cross"?

Because on the Playstation it's "cross" and

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I went to LA recently and was amazed and the incredible volume of tiny dogs I saw. Every fifth person walking the street had a tiny dog on a leash. It is the city of tiny dogs.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
When I worked for T-Mobile, we won like 13 JD Power and Associates awards in a row. T-Mobile tried to brand this in ads as being a "13-peat winner."

What the gently caress does 13-peat mean? Its very stupid etymology comes from winning the award twice, which we called a "repeat," then winning it a third time, where we applied the very clever play-on-words "three-peat" (like "re-peat") So four became "four-peat" and five was "five-peat."

This was fifteen years ago so like it doesn't really matter and it didn't really hurt the company any, but everybody who worked for the company hated it (the THIRTEEN-PEAT!!!!!!) posters were everywhere), and I hated having to explain it to customers.

e: it frustrates me because it's the laziest of lazy lazy low-effort word play and I feel the company should have been punished for it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Why would I go to the zoo?

I ALREADY LIVE IN ONE

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The deer is clearly just trying to look cool

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Wait, does the "soft r versus hard r" actually mean anything at all? I thought it was a thing racists tried to say to excuse their racism?

Like if I use a soft r I'm still very much expecting to get punched in the face.

Also I always associate "r" with "rere" or "riri" or... you know, kiddo slang for mentally handicapped.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You guys are fuckin bananas. If you say the first part of the word and add anything to the second part, whether it's a hard R or a U sound, you're still saying the word.

Like unless you're fuckin eleven years old, in which case maybe you're trying to pull something off, but come on.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
You don't have that problem if you use the gab bot

It might produce an error if you tell it not to include slurs

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Tiggum posted:

Dunno about a movie but he was in the Harley Quinn TV show.

What happened to her accent?!

If Harley Quinn doesn't sound like she's trying to do a Cyndi Lauper, it's not canon :mad:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
In terms of gross cartoon tropes, is Arisa being a sexualized grown-up 13 year-old better or worse than a sexualized 7,000 year old child?

(edited to make the same point but perhaps with better tact)

credburn has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Jan 30, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Fruits of the sea posted:

Did I totally miss some Marvel movie that starred Kevin Spacey or something? This seems like a strange decision on multiple levels for Comicon to take.

He was in a Superman.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Kwyndig posted:

gently caress that's not what the gameplay is for that game, like not at all.

I've seen ads for it, if the gameplay wasn't like that then someone would have said something by now and they'd be in trouble.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Who is this mouthbreather

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

“HavE yOu HeaRd tHe One ABouT The iMMortaL Lord oF DReams?”

Stop that.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Maybe this is a real savvy marketing move, actually

Facebook ad. Takes you to a silly website, that eventually takes you to the real site, where they sell guns (because you can't advertise that on Facebook)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Simulation883 posted:

I recently came across the DuoLingo Instagram, and it's completely baffling to me.
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3IskROtUqD/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Like...I cannot wrap my head around it and am surprised they are still around with stuff like this. And even if the above is harmless, they also have ones like this...
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2fsVoZvNPH/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Joking about kidnapping families just seems so...creepy.

It's like asking an AI prompt, create the worst video imaginable for Duolingo. Make it absolutely unwatchably awful. Make it painful.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
One of the craziest marketing things I've ever seen happened just over a decade ago. In a rare occurrence, in 2013 Chanukah and Thanksgiving shared a day. To celebrate this, Wal-Mart called it "Thanksgivukkah" and sold Turkeys with little yarmulkas. Something seems so obviously wrong about putting Jewish turkeys in the oven but apparently it was actually massively successful.

(I have been going through an old journal and came across this. I have been searching but I can't find any ads from that time that actually show the yarmulka turkeys but I'm certain I saw it)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
People sure complain about the paper straws, but I guess I just drink my drink too fast? By the time I finish, they usually start to feel like they're coming apart, but... shrug.

It doesn't feel like a big sacrifice to have a less than perfect plastic straw that will won't end up in a turtle's windpipe.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The MSJ posted:

https://twitter.com/Dezinuh/status/1779178683841790068

FYI, that soldier was shown laughing as a fellow US soldier execute a captured Canadian soldier.

I don't get it.

There are like 200 years between Fallout 1 and Fallout 4 :confused:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
There's a funny Canadian Annexation Recreation society bit in Fallout: Tactics where they recreate the invasion of Canada by walking over a line and claiming the country now belongs to the USA.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I never really "got" the fusion core thing in Fallout 4. So you have these fusion cores that can single-handedly power a huge automated factory for hundreds of years, maybe forever -- or it's good enough to power a single suit of powered armor for about twenty minutes.

Is that meant to be a joke, or is it just really bad design?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

DrBouvenstein posted:

There had to have been a better way to put the world "Challengers" on a poster.

Charlie what now?!