Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

The second one is quite possibly the most "early '90s" commercial ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I heard at a conference that because GEICO pours so much into advertising, that's why they're no. 1 in insurance. The presenter explained that insurance is an un-sexy and detailed thing to sell in 30 seconds, so by sticking something memorable in your head, GEICO is the first company you think of when it comes time to buy a plan.

I also read somewhere that the reason Geico has so many different advertising campaigns at once is because auto-insurance is a broad market. Everybody needs auto-insurance, no matter age, race, or gender, so the company needs to target every demographic. That's why you have the Geico Gecko, Maxwell the Pig, the banjo playing guys (which spawned the hump day camel), the "Everybody knows" ads, and the "it's what you do" ads all running at the same time.

Fake E: I found it. It was a Slate article from 2005. At the time Geico had the Gecko, the Cavemen, a series of ads with the tag-line "I've got great news - I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance," and a series of one offs like the fake reality show "Tiny House."

The broad, seemingly unfocused campaigns have apparently worked too, since Geico has gone from a market share of 5.6 percent in 2005 (when the article was written) to surpassing Allstate as the second largest auto-insurer in the US.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

That's just, weird. I mean, good on them for using plus sized models, but why claim they are such an unrealistic size? For context, a US Size 32 correlates to a 51.5 inch waist and a 64.5 inch hip measurement. The average women's waistline in the US (a country known for being overweight) is about 38 inches, nearly two feet smaller than the claimed waistline of the models. Levis claiming that these women are average, they're claiming that they're morbidly obese.

E: I am wrong. As pointed out below, Levis lists jeans sizes by waist size, not standard US women's sizes. That does make me wonder what the article is taking issue with though, a 32 inch waist isn't too far out of line with someone being a size 12-16 (depending on which sizing chart you look at).

Not My Leg has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Jan 14, 2015

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Anything larger than "straight sizes," usually 0 to 10 or 12, is technically "plus size." This is confounded by the fact that no two clothing brands have the same sizing, and generally the more expensive clothing is the smaller it will run (or the less it will be size-inflated, actually). And in modeling industry terms, a Plus Size Model is a girl bigger than sample sizes, which are 0-2. If a model has hips and breasts in real life (i.e. not slapped on in photoshop), odds are her agency lists her as plus size.

Size inflation is a whole other Dumb Move in Marketing, but that might not be right for this thread.

A size 32 is a waist measurement, it correlates to a size 10/12. Nitwit.

I was led astray by the linked article, which took issue with the models being called "size 32" and referenced them as actually being size 12-16 in standard US women's sizes. You are correct though, Levis (online at least) apparently lists its women's jeans by waist size. This is not true of all jeans brands, but I could have verified.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

13Pandora13 posted:

You also could have looked at the ad and realized that a 32 in US women's sizing would be all of those women smushed together into one giant hambeast.

I did realize that. Then I assumed it was because the people who made the ad were idiots. Turns out, I was the idiot.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

That seems like the perfect ingredient for a Bloody Mary/Caesar. (Oh god I want a Bloody Mary now)

Also, I had no idea Jelly Belly had alcohol flavors. WTF? How does Joe Camel get the smackdown for making smoking seem cool to kids, but a candy company can essentially say "hey kids! Don't margaritas taste good?"

Because Jelly Belly doesn't sell alcohol. Joe Camel was a mascot for a cigarette company used to market cigarettes to kids. Jelly Belly has no interest in whether alcohol sales increase, so there's not really any reason to see alcohol flavored Jelly Bellies as part of a conspiracy to market alcohol to children.

There are some comparisons that can be made to candy cigarettes I suppose, but cigarette manufacturers actively participated in the development of the candy cigarette market as a way to market to children.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

But we were talking about 1999, do you understand when 1999 is.

Right before the year 1900?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Wandle Cax posted:

Dude this is really really basic stuff. If you're in an ad for a company you absolutely can't be in another ad using the competitor's product. Simple as that, of course it doesn't matter if you're playing another character. This is all standard contractual stuff in any ad ever made. Also Nintendo and Sony are competitors, in that they are both video game companies.

That's just breach of contract though, it has nothing to do with being a "trademark violation." Also, breach of contract doesn't generally have the same requirement of enforcement against known breaches that trademark does (protect it or lose it). In fact, most contracts have language that a party's failure to enforce its rights under the contract in one instance is expressly not a waiver of the right to enforce the contract in another instance.

Guy probably shouldn't have done a commercial that violated his contract, but Sony probably shouldn't have blown up a good advertising campaign over it. I suppose, however, that we're just assuming the campaign was successful because we liked it and didn't like what followed. It's entirely possible that Sony just wasn't happy with the returns being generated by the campaign and was looking for a reason to terminate him.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
E: It was stupid of me to dredge this fight back up and I thought better of it.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

effervescible posted:

I think the third one is "gotta have it". If I'm wrong, don't tell me, I don't care. Anyway, I use the Starbucks terms when ordering their, but I say small/medium/large at Coldstone because I can't use their special terms without feeling incredibly stupid. No ice cream counter minion has ever objected.

Rexicon1 posted:

I'm pretty sure that there is a song that they HAVE to sing on request. Service work is the most demeaning poo poo ever, but cold stone takes it to an art

They really do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfcfsiDVXso

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Ruzihm posted:

So are walls, interestingly enough.

As are all other things except mirrors.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Zaphod42 posted:

The second season is a prequel because the lead actor had to go to the hospital for cancer (:smith:) and then they have to replace him for the 3rd season because it went into remission (double :smith:) but the later parts and especially the last season against Crassus are probably the best part.

Remission is the good one, Whitfield's cancer relapsed.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
There's a billboard on the freeway near me for a personal injury attorney who specializes in car accidents.

The billboard says "Car Accident? Call Carr."

The billboard is perfectly placed so that if you were in a car accident in the area, you would see his billboard, and could immediately call Carr.

The billboard has no phone number on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

SirPhoebos posted:

There's a new online radio ad that opens with 5 seconds of mic feedback. :psyboom:

My new favorite is an ad on I Heart Radio that is entirely visual. I mean, it has background music, but nothing substantive about the product. I suppose it works if you're using a computer where you might watch it, but I turn on a station and then drop my phone in my pocket. I still have no idea what the ad is actually for.