Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Oxyclean posted:

Same-ish. Only time I really see cable is when I visit my folks at the holidays. It always feels stunning just how lame some advertising comes off, or seeing the same ad multiple times in a single break, or the commercial for some medication that spends more then half of the commercial with a narrator voice over talking about side effects or consulting a doctor first. Or those times where you get a commercial break, 2 minutes of the movie, and then another full commercial break. :psyduck:

Netflix has really spoiled me.

Oh same. I find it really annoying when my parents like a commercial so much, they'll save it on DVR just to show me when I visit :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sweeperbravo posted:

It is easily possible, but if my choices are "have delicious too buttery movie theater popcorn that I will later regret" or "don't have delicious too buttery movie theater popcorn that I will later regret," well, I live on the cutting, loving edge

:munch:

If it's all about the movie theater popcorn, just buy a carton of flavocol and yellow dyed coconut oil. Pop some popcorn in that and you have "delicious too buttery movie theater popcorn" any time you want!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Choco1980 posted:

It's NPR's spring pledge time, meaning every 10 to 15 minutes I get a guilt trip for gaving the gall to listen to a free radio station without paying for the privilege.

I donate to NPR, so I just get annoyed that I hear the same special pledge drive episodes of things :negative

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Clevermuldoon posted:

Saw this in a theater. Thought it was pretty nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X72GUu9V0aw

I saw it paired with the new Meghan Trainor video. It was probably the worst 10 minutes of my life.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tired Moritz posted:

do people really get attached to those boring rear end emojis

According to the interstitials, they're our "favorite emojis" :confused:

I really just wanted to watch Key and Peele rescue a cat.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Canemacar posted:

Let's be honest, Canada becoming Bud Lite better reflects the reality.

Everyone drinks it and it's essentially garbage beer?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Improbable Lobster posted:

I do not understand who could possibly get a lootcrate or other subscription box for more than a couple months and not think "I have to much of this now" to themselves.

Retrieving a package from my apartment complex's closet of packages indicates that at least 4 people at my complex subscribe to Lootcrate.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sic Semper Goon posted:

We had chuggers in our shopping centre selling pre-packed recipe food box things.

I stood in awe, as I realised that we had hit peak laziness*.

Basically, they sell you a Blue Apron box in store?

As someone who likes to cook, I'm not fully opposed to something like that. The problem for me arises when you encounter people like my parents. A few years ago, I moved in with them for a month due to unemployment. They have become so accustomed to eating nothing but Betty Crocker boxed type stuff, and Tyson frozen chicken type things that when I cooked them a rather inoffensive meal, they loving hated it. It's been 4 years, and I still occasionally get complaints about using a small onion and a clove of garlic.

Back to the box, I would probably buy something like that on occasion. Sometimes I'll just feel uninspired, or have nothing planned, or whatnot, and being able to stop by Kroger on the way home and just pick up a box containing a full "from scratch" meal, would be nice.

Thinking about it, from a marketing perspective, that might actually not be a bad way of selling off the perishables that are a few days from their sell by date.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Antitonic posted:

Bobcat-in-a-box, maybe? Seems to be what you're describing.

I kinda want that now. Although I also want some Dinosaurs too :ohdear:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sic Semper Goon posted:

A! loving! INFLATABLE! loving! CROWN!

Anyway, my friend orders them, but he's fanatical about those Pop! vinyl things to the extent that he has a massive cupboard full of them, so c'est la vie. Possibly related is that he keeps complaining about having no money.

Eh, I just signed up for Bobcat in a Box, because, why the hell not, at least I know I'm going to get some genuine garbage, it'll be interesting at least.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I grew up in a house with carpeted bathrooms. It was like that when we moved in, and one of the bathrooms definitely had this hideous orange/yellow/black carpeting which was probably specifically chosen to hide piss.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wylie posted:

Taking a risk here posting an actual marketing fail rather than more BoxTalk:

The University of North Texas didn't think this one through

:golfclap:

That did take me a minute

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I got my first mysterious bobcat in a box item!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OctoberBlues posted:

haha. :)

It is a joke though, right? :ohdear:

I dunno, I think it's kinda neat :shrug:

Then again I like technical things

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

Before the internet, I'd never heard of the fried chicken stereotype. Or the watermelon one. Apparently grape juice is one as well?
If I went to America I'd probably commit horrible faux-pas all the time.

it's cool, all three of those things are delicious

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Maybe the dumbest move in all marketing was capitalism itself!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

No poo poo, RyanAir tried doing that, claiming ticket prices of just a few GBP, but it never went anywhere because it would violate CAA regs.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/10/travel/standing-cabin-plane-study/

You really need to get re-accommodated

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Last time I flew on business, one of my flights got delayed, and I didn't land at my destination until 11pm. I can assure you that I was thrilled that they gave away my rental car, and tried to hype up the mini-van I was given instead.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

Nothing important has ever happened in the morning in a hotel room. That time is for shame and/or wondering why you can't get your own room as dark and cold.

Depends on what happened the night before

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

Didn't Taco Bell advertise about solving the munchies with second breakfast?

I had Taco Bell for breakfast today, and their bags say "welcome to the after party"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

jojoinnit posted:

Literally can't tell what it's supposed to be. I'm assuming its an alien spinoff from the callout and general theme but guess I'm googling who directed the Martian to satisfy my curiosity.

I get the feeling that this advertisement was installed incorrectly :ssh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Indolent Bastard posted:

I knew a guy that did that kind of poo poo grade animation. They do it on purpose to make the company look as no frills as possible, so clearly you are getting a good deal on their products.

No clue about the action figure aspect of it.

don't forget, it's really memorable for being poo poo grade

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There's a auto shop near me with a big brand new building with 8 bays and a high visibility location off of a main road for my area.

They're only open Monday thru Friday 7-5 and I will never understand the logic behind that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

walrusman posted:

Maybe they focus on commercial fleet service. Still a little weird, though - gently caress you, customers with normal jobs!

I doubt it, there's always a variety of cars there. I'd think with how visible the place is, even a half-day on Saturday would make them a killing on piddly poo poo like oil changes and tire rotations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Kareem posted:

Back when I worked at Captain Billy's Fish House, Capt'n Billy told me the secret to success was being open fewer hours, because people would adjust their schedules for you. He also talked about his dream of being flown around in a helicopter.

Billy's was open 3 days a week. Billy's went out of business within 2 years.

That said, there's a fried chicken and fish place nearby that's open two days and week and is always packed. But they aren't planning on buying helicopters.

I think things like that only work if you're providing a product that's in high demand. If they're producing high quality fish more people are likely to adjust their schedules, as opposed to Long John Silver's quality fish.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Bird in a Blender posted:

Lots of auto shops, of all kinds, are closed on Sundays, it's pretty typical. Hell a chain like Midas is normally closed on Sundays.

It's almost like different industries have different standards of being open. Shocking!

It's not unusual at all. I'm just confused by a very large brand new high profile building not even having a minimum hours outside of business hours. I mean it's not a little mom and pop shop with two bays.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DancingShade posted:

Why would you want a dry crusty sandwich instead of hot noodles?

Also not everyone is good with wheat gluten.

Wait let me do western catering sandwiches appropriately first:

*spreads thick layer of mayonnaise*
*adds two thin slices of salami*
*adds two slices of pickle*

"Okay that will be ten dollars"

That's why you fly first class, those fuckers get steak

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

And no, this isn't Ferraris we're talking about, because plane seats don't just roll off an assembly line, they have to fit in planes, which are finite in size and number.

Uh, yeah, plane seats do roll off an assembly line, I've seen them in person, I used to have to go to one periodically for an old job.

A lot of engineering goes into airline seats, and several companies manufacture them, they're usually customized to fit certain aircraft, as well as the airline's standards. So two different airlines with the same aircraft can have seats that look the same, but they're usually subtly and not so subtly different.

The reason that we can't have pod style seating is because of how seats are installed in an aircraft. The seats are built to attach to the seat tracks, which are part of the airframe to keep the seats in one place the entire flight. In order for a pod style seat to work, there would likely need to be a seat track in the top of the fuselage, but as far as I know no current aircraft have any structure like that. There's also the issue with the airframe itself, airplanes flex, and they flex a lot, it's part of the design.

The bigger issue you're getting at is more likely that US airlines aren't buying new aircraft, and when they do, they pack it as full as possible with the cheapest seating possible. If you want to fly in nice seats, fly internationally (I would know, I designed parts of those seats). :capitalism:

EDIT: Don't forget that in order to install anything inside of an aircraft, it has to fit through the door, they're not built like a house where you can just crane things in through the roof.

Iron Crowned has a new favorite as of 18:52 on May 31, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You are the dumbest motherfucker alive.

Turn on your monitor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

You stalk strippers because you think they really like you.

Did you know that it is possible that you in fact do not know everything, and other people know more about some subjects than you do?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Screaming Idiot posted:

THAT WAS THE DEMOCRATS' REFRAIN OF 2016 AND IT DIDN'T loving WORK THEN EITHER

gently caress IT gently caress EVERYTHING I AM OFFICIALLY A REPUBLICAN AT LEAST THEY'RE RUINING CIVILIZATION ON PURPOSE

How do you know that's not part of the plans of DEMs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Johnny Aztec posted:

Especially when the "lesser" bit is highly debatable, and the " lesser" is constantly calling large sections of the country racist, sexist, we don't need or want you. Worked out great.

More like voting between two flavors of evil

Cool Ranch is the worst flavor of evil though

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

Am I blind or is that another world map without new Zealand?

You've never played Risk have you?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't completely know why it feels so inappropriate, but it does. Not in a really shocking "what were they thinking" way, but more just "no." It's more along the lines of Kidz Bop covering a protest song or something.

I'm not sure there's as much of an outrage or scandal as that article implies, though. It sounds more like "everyone thinks this is stupid".

This sounds about right. Of course that tweet just screams "this was decided by someone unfamiliar with the source material."

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

JacquelineDempsey posted:

At my last job, I got written up for not calling in and giving at least 2 hours notice before going to the ER with a life-threatening issue. Gawd bless Murrica :patriot:

That's the thing about the US I think some Euro/Aus goons are missing in this derail: we don't have free healthcare, yet employers expect a doctor's note to call out (and even if you can, good luck getting a paid sick day; many places do not have that luxury). So say that I, a food service person, have a bad case of vomiting and diarrhea. Says right on the Virginia food handler's certification card to not go to work if you're puking or got the trots. I know it's probably a bug that some rest and plenty of fluids will fix. BUT, if I don't show for work, I not only have to pay [$40 co-pay if insured; god knows what if not] to see a doctor just to get a note saying "yep, ya ate something bad/got stomach flu", but I'm also out the $80 I might've made that day. So I'll stagger in, green around the gills, and serve your food, because $120 is a lot of money when you're making minimum wage.

And that's how you get ants norovirus at Chipotle.

Yeah, receiving paid time off isn't even a requirement in the US either, so if you want to get paid for a sick day you have to have that.

Of course some employers are better than others. Some places will give you some days right away, some make you wait 90 days, some make you accrue it at about 6 hours per month and any combination you can dream of. I once worked at a place that didn't give you PTO until you worked there for a whole year. Some places will give you a "personal day" or two during the year which you can use right away, but those are typically intended for when the 4th of July is on a Tuesday so they close the plant on Monday without pay. It all depends on how lovely your employer wants to be, and you can always bet on them being lovely in some fashion.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Those are pictures of what happens when no one working there cleans the machines regularly.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bongwizzard posted:

Trust and loyalty are kind of a two-way street, how this hard to understand? Why would someone with that kind of attitude be worth treating as anything but replaceable?

If employers stopped automatically assuming that everyone was lovely and replaceable, that number would go down, it's not like CEOs aren't the worst employees

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Don't defend outlet fucker, his analogy is poo poo.

"All Taxation is theft!"
--Bongwizzard, probably

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SpacePig posted:

You'd be surprised what a difference just being able to get, like, a free fountain soda or coffee while on the clock can make. It's not much, and you can't feed a family on free fountain sodas while at work, but just being able to grab a drink at a place that supplies drinks and not have to worry about getting another employee to ring you up and getting a receipt and poo poo can go a way in making a shift more tolerable. When you start charging employees for hot water, even if they brought a mug and tea from home, that's a real morale tanker.

Over the years I've noticed this is where companies begin to rot, they start taking the "fun" parts out because they're not easily quantifiable in profit. It's like no longer oiling a machine, sure it'll continue to run, but you're going to have it break down more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Kareem posted:

I've probably mentioned this in this very thread, but when I worked at AT&T they took away our free coffee and put in a vending machine. On a floor with coders and programmers.

They wouldn't even allow personal coffee makers in the break room because they guaranteed the company with the vending machines a monopoly.

:lol: yeah, if your company runs on unchecked capitalism, this is what happens, but drat that's a petty one.