Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Pretty much any time a company starts answering questions on Twitter or other social media is going to fail.

JP Morgan's is the most recent that I can think of, but there's some others.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewzeitlin/jpmorgan-shows-exactly-how-to-not-use-twitter

Edit: Sorry for the buzzfeed link, but it's the one with the most examples.
Edit:
New York Police Department http://www.newstatesman.com/media/2014/04/not-what-they-had-mind-when-twitter-campaigns-backfire

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Dec 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's stupid because they're trying to score brownie points/manufacture controversy by sexualizing pregnant women but they're all still models. It's like when Dove did that thing a few years ago when they had "big" women modeling in underwear but they were still fitter and better-looking than 99% of their customers, and the internet ate it up.

Their followup ad made me laugh though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFgbbA70NVY

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Unsure where you're at but here in FL WaWas have sprung up across from every other 7/11 for the past couple years. I had no idea what they were prior to their arrival and now I don't go anywhere else! Of course my friend's finance from Philly says they're no comparison to Sheets, whatever THOSE are!

If your friend's fiance is truely from Philly, he's a traitor rear end in a top hat. (Kidding, but he's probably from out closer to the middle of the state)

Sheetz start around Harrisburg and extend out past Pittsburgh. I don't think their stuff is as good, but I'll freely admit I'm biased.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

PhazonLink posted:

Has this ever actually happen?

The closest I ever came was them repeating my order for a large black coffee as a venti black coffee.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And Asus are really good for all kinds of parts mid to high range.
Crappy RMA service but then again the standard for that is pretty low if it's not EVGA.

My sister spilled coffee on her ASUS laptop and they repaired it for free, I also had an issue with mine not starting up at some point a couple of years ago while out of warranty, they also fixed that with no charge.
Their service is pretty awesome from what I have dealt with.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GWBBQ posted:

I'll bet that a sizable majority of people never knew that this song had lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3SzI92FDFo

I remember hearing that the band would get really angry when people would sing "Shampoo" instead of "Woohoo" during their concerts.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Feb 4, 2016

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

DavidAlltheTime posted:

My only criticism (as a former organic farm owner) of GMOs is that companies can patent their seeds. Companies patenting seeds scares me, because eventually we could see big-pharma type pricing schemes for Monsanto-brand seeds, and food production would be even further out of the everyman's grasp. They sued a farmer for having Monsanto alfalfa growing in his field, because wind had blown the seeds onto his land from a neighbouring farm.

Related: http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/mpa.asp

What case was that? I found one where a farmer was growing canola seed and said some of his crop got cross pollinated, but it turns out over 95% of his crop was roundup ready which means he isolated the Monsanto seeds, that wouldn't have happened by accident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsanto_Canada_Inc._v._Schmeiser?wprov=sfsi1

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The Door Frame posted:

Let's not forget the mess that is The Division, where you play a secret government agent in New York City after a bio-terrorism attack and gun down rioters to take their food and weapons.
You were supposedly the good guy in that situation, in case it wasn't obvious. Well armed soldiers that wear no uniform killing civilians in the street immediately following a terror attack because they are looting in a city with very limited supplies and no law enforcement is the American ideal of justice, or something.

Assuming I remember right, the random guys you come across are usually picking over a dead body that they just killed (and they attack you on site), and the 2 types of bad guys you come across in missions are the "Cleaners" that kill everyone they come across and the guys that broke out of prison, so it's not just "kill hungry people"

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Nov 1, 2016

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

jojoinnit posted:

Protip: don't make your advertising incredibly easy to deface to make it hilarious. I mean it's one letter away.

I passed a dumpster today with the company name "SWIPES" centered on the dumpster. It was very clear where they had painted over 2 letters before the company name. (**SWIPES, if I wasn't clear enough)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

mllaneza posted:

I used to work with a guy named Dave Matthews. He headlined a (good) blues band. Lucky for him, he was performing long before the famous Dave Matthews came around. He says he was very polite when the C&D letter arrived. Yes, he kept performing as himself.

My sister knew a guy named Stephen Colbert. He didn't get sued or anything, but he did let down a bunch of people when he checked into a hotel somewhere in the midwest, they had welcome banners and everything.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Tiggum posted:

My entire flat is tiled. I'm not even making that up, it is wall-to-wall tiles.

Just looked up the numbers on some common supermarket breads in Australia:

Helga's wholemeal (marketed as high quality): 3g sugar per 100g.
Coles Bakery white (baked in the supermarket): <1g sugar per 100g.
Tip Top Sunblest Soft White Sandwich (generic white bread): 2.4g per 100g.
Wonder White Toast Bread (generic white bread): 3.5g per 100g.

How do popular American brands compare?

I just looked up our Wonder Bread, which is pretty much as generic mass produced white bread as you can get.
Sugars are 8.77g per 100g.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Almost certainly. But I still had a very visceral reaction when I heard what I thought I heard.

I did too, but I swear he didn't close his lips to make the "B" sound.
It's a prime example of the McGurk Effect (does that work with a hard g?) but goddamn is it awfully timed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-lN8vWm3m0

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Volcott posted:

On one hand, gotta advertise your movie. On the other, do you use a promotional shot of the lead dragging a black guy around the same week he told us a tale of the time he got so mad he wanted to murder a random black person?

That's not a black guy, it's this image, with a snow hat photoshopped onto the guy.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Nitrox posted:

The whole blue line craze grew out of #bluelivesmatter which was supposed to go against #blacklivesmatter, a movement that started on calling out police for shooting too many minorities. Coincidentally, the only people I see promoting this stuff are white, and have very cool opinions of everyone who isn't.

The blue line thing was way before #bluelivesmatter, it stems from the phrase "The thin blue line" which has been in use since the 50's or so. Cops have used those black flags with a single horizontal blue line as a "Hey I'm a cop too" (aka don't pull me over) sticker for a while. However, not to come off as a completely contrary dick, you are correct that the usage of the blue line for non family members to support cops as well as the american flag with the blue line definitely coincides with the #blacklivesmatter issues.
Sources: My brother is a cop and has had one of those black and blue license plates for at least 10 years or so.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

There was a far more interesting than I figured it would be podcast about pockets that I heard a little bit ago.
https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/pockets-articles-of-interest-3/

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sir Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1116762406804426752

I guess you have to admire their desire for transparency, asking how many of their fans are Nazis

What was it? The tweet is gone now

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

christmas boots posted:

I mean at least it’s not Mastercard.

:drat:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Agrinja posted:

There's a very memorable series of car commercials on my local radio that are so annoying that they've made me cross that dealer straight off my list. The commercials largely consist of a guy emphatically, with different inflections, stating the name of the company and the address of their website. I hate these commercials so much.

Same here (Philadelphia area).
There's a dealer named Gary Barbera, and his commercials are some guy yelling and emphasizing the "B"s
So you can get a Baby bently chrysler 300 at Gary Barbereas on the Boulevard.

I want to find the announcer and remove his upper lip so he can never make the b sound again.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I was considering doing DIY prosciutto, so I looked up the recipe.

Take the pork leg, soak it in a brine for 3 days - Check
Hang it in a cool, dry place for 9 months - check
If there's mold on it, that's fine, just cut it off before serving - ehhhh...
If there's maggots, cut that chunk off and it will be fine - never mind.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Someone explain the battery one to non-Philly people. (Or is it just the obvious stupidity of batteries raining with confetti?)

What post are you referring to?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

mllaneza posted:

Philly sports fans still shouldn't have nice things.

There are lovely fans in every city. Philly being known for it just means when something happens it gets noticed and commented on because of confirmation bias.
There's plenty of assholes here, but there's plenty of assholes everywhere, especially when it comes to dumbfuck sports fans.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Gritty was specifically made with that in mind, and kind of backfired.
How did Gritty backfire? He's the best hockey mascot by far.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Kenning posted:

My girlfriend worked at a disability rights law firm that often sues like, university systems and cities and stuff. Apparently in Philadelphia it is just universally common for people to park in a driveway across a sidewalk, so that it's impossible for people in wheelchairs to go down the sidewalks. There was some interest in suing the city to get them to actually issue parking tickets for this behavior, but the firm couldn't find anyone local to be named as a plaintiff against the city because everyone remembered the last time a disability activist in Philly attempted to get the city to try to get people to stop blocking sidewalks with their cars they got death threat after death threat.

As a sample size of one, which means nothing, I can say I've never heard of any disability activist getting death threats, and there really aren't too many driveways in the city. That's not to say parking isn't a poo poo show, but the bulk of the residential areas that are heavily developed were laid out and built before cars were really a thing, so single dwelling garages aren't exactly prevalent (except the areas that are currently being gentrified).

That said, I absolutely believe that trying to navigate this city in a wheelchair would be a loving nightmare and I don't doubt that people who do have driveways park their cars across them. (and also park at the edge of the street next to the wheelchair cutouts). I just don't think it's super common.

In South Philadelphia, where parking is absolutely poo poo, it's super common to just park in the middle of the street and it absolutely sucks rear end to drive down there.

DrBouvenstein posted:

And I'm glad for Philly sports fans, because as a Boston sports fan, it's reassuring to know there's at least one group of sports fans that are bigger assholes than we are.

:rolleyes:

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Feb 21, 2020

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sunswipe posted:

The other great celebrity urban legend was the "[Celebrity] had to have their stomach pumped, doctors pumped out a gallon of semen from forty different people!" one. My favorite bit being the idea of ER doctors sending a gallon of spunk to the lab for some reason.

Don't forget about Richard Geere shoving a gerbil up his rear end. I have no idea how that one got started.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I’m so close to being finished with this wall I’m building.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

hyperhazard posted:

"I'm going to stand up and be heard" is a great sentiment that immediately crashes and burns because a) she's singing a song in her head that no one can hear, b) she uses her newfound confidence to beg a man to let them go.

Let It Go was poppy theater-bait, but at least it had an empowering message about being yourself and not hiding your strengths.

Let It Go had the same problem.

Powerful ballad about being yourself and not hiding who you are, sung by someone who is actively running away from all she knows and voluntarily exiling herself from where she grew up because her differences make her dangerous.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Why? (not being combative, I just have no idea what monster cat is, or why this is a bad idea)

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Has anyone made the "Mein Pillow" joke yet?

If not.

More like "Mein Pillow"!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is that Shula's Steakhouse? I find it surprising they wouldn't cook a burger medium if you asked.

You're wrong though, burgers should be medium well. You sicko.

At a local place, I could see going medium or even medium rare with a burger (depending on how reputable it is), but airport meat? Cook that poo poo through and through.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Our restaurant carries locally roasted coffee, one variety of which is called Dee's Nuts. Because it is hazelnut, and one of the employees is actually named Dee. This makes sense. And the packaging is classy, so even if you don't know the meme or dont find it funny, it's neither confusing nor embarrassing.

Those sausage bites, which are not nuts at all, are some dumb marketing. You think anyone with a nut allergy is gonna look twice at that snack? Yeah, the ad IS pretty funny, but if I saw them in the store without
having seen it, i wouldn't give them a closer look, I'd just go "nope".

Dietz and Watson is a very popular local brand of lunch meat so the logo and the spelling would be enough for people to know.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

HopperUK posted:

There is an episode of Peppa Pig where all the kids in her class dress up as different countries and I think it was done purely so the narrator could say completely deadpan 'The United Kingdom is on the slide.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR8Td475hS0

If you wanted to be pretty generous with an interpretation, everyone fighting over getting a turn in the sand pit could also be seen as a reference to the middle east.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 19:27 on Jul 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Isepic posted:

I always chuckled at Garnier Fructis using this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuWuoOX0yis

Apparently the band got mad when people starting singing “shamPOO” instead of the “wooHOO” that’s in the song at live shows.