Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

mania posted:

Haha what? Maybe it's expensive in the USA, but it's about the same price or cheaper as most as the big name airlines around here. poo poo, sometimes it's even cheaper then the budget airlines.

Yeah, exactly. They don't show you the smooshed-in coach passengers, they show you the over-the-top ultra luxury seats so you make a brand association in your mind and feel fancy when flying even as a smooshed-in coach passenger.

Same reason why they don't feature the cheapest $35k 3 series with the cheapest trim in the BMW commercials, but put out the more expensive, fully loaded aspirational models at double the price. You can feel like a fancy, sophisticated person who wears neckties while you're driving a car that costs as much as a top of the line Camry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Not to return to console chat, bad 90s consoles all pretty much had bad, bad ads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZIbnZuqUuo CD-i

Now, Some of these aren't bad ads from a technical standpoint. They are bad ads because they don't show the games you can play. It's the same thing with the Ps3. You get this slick ad that could be for anything and then at the end you get what its for.

You're right. I didn't see any indication that one could bomb some dodongos

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, those ads are also annoying. As are the V8 ads. Woman popping her husband in the head over and over "you could have had a v8!" and he says "but I don't like V8" and she gives him some half fruit, half vegetable V8 and he suddenly likes it, even though the vegetables in the alternative are the ones with the overpowering taste. So instead of tomato juice you get tomato juice with a slight orange taste.

Who buys or drinks V8 anyway? I needed some for a soup base, and a 6 pack (smallest quantity available!) was $7. A giant quart can of the store brand stuff was like $1.50.

For some reason they still always offer it on planes :shrug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://www.whompcomic.com/2014/04/18/just-you-and-miku/

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Here's a dumb move in marketing: being a country music musician in 2003 criticizing then president George W. Bush
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks#2003.E2.80.9305:_Political_controversy

Talk about not reading your audience. Their career completely lost all momentum and took a dive they never really recovered from.

Their music is garbage so nothing of value was lost anyway.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Krispy Kareem posted:

That was the biggest part of the backlash. They were overseas bashing the President. It's not like people weren't bashing the President domestically, but it rubbed people the wrong way when you're doing it with another country. Kind of like how you talk poo poo about your own family, but you feel defensive of someone else starts talking bad about them.

That and the Iraq War was a pretty polarizing issue in 2003.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I'm going to say they didn't go far enough, because the entire beard should be slim jims

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Plus, if you hydroplane it doesn't matter how loving big your truck is. Well, actually it does, because bigger means more inertia means you'll take longer to regain control once your wheels meet pavement again.

I avoid puddles because around here that often means that the puddle is concealing a suspension wrecking pothole.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

sassassin posted:

The thing I'm most surprised about is that he was actually carrying a signed statement from the mother saying they could travel together. Is that a common thing for one parent travelling with a child?

What's one more security check at an airport these days? He had everything in order.

International flight, travelling with only one parent to a country where that parent is a legal citizen. International Parental Kidnapping happens, and the US has no exit controls AND doesn't require two parent consent for international travel. Happens often when parents are separating or will be required to split custody that one of them will flee the US back to their home country with the kids. It's a crime and an internationally recognized one, so if the parent flees to some place like Mexico, England, or the Philippines the local law enforcement is going to help out.
You'll get a lot less help from local authorities if one parent fled to somewhere like Yemen.

Guy probably came prepared with it to ensure that nothing weird would happen if questioned (didn't work!)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Sucrose posted:

I could only make it for about 10 seconds.

You're going to have to explain this for us non-guitar people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LaNfBNv5k0
The bridge pins hold one end of the strings in. The picture is demonstrating how one would pull out the bridge pins, but the guitar in the photo has the strings under tension, so you'd never actually pull out the pins under tension like that without breaking stuff.
edit:
yeah, that too. The secondary function is as a bridge pin tool. It's like if the promo photo for a 40 function swiss army knife had a photo of only the corkscrew attachment visible, and making it look like the user was about to drill right into the top of a metal capped beer bottle

canyoneer has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Aug 4, 2017

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/16/halloween-retailer-pulls-anne-frank-costume-amid-complaints/

Anne Frank costume was a bad idea, who could have foreseen this?!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

How did you never hear of “40 Acres and a Mule”?

Only paid attention for 2/5ths of class

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm American and never heard of siemens

who do you think crew all the ships, smart guy?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just from my professional usage It's not the worst.

I think it was on these forums someone said "the only thing worse than SAP is the alternatives" and that rings true

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Marketing is astrology and economics is phrenology.

Of course you'd say that! You have the brainpan of a stagecoach tilter!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If U want it? it's 4 sale OK
If U need 2 ask ASK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Ultima66 posted:

Are there places where it's an all electronic menu but you're still ordering from a person? I've seen several Asian restaurants that just take all their orders via a touchscreen/online menu and no one ever interacts with you outside of bringing you the food. I haven't seen ads on those systems though.

My favorite Chinese noodle place in NYC does this and it rules. They are also a "no gratuity" restaurant and have the most incredible hand stretched noodles.

Xi'an Famous Foods slaps