Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I think Target advertising their Annie-inspired kids clothing line in-store with predominantly white models was a stupid move. I don't think anyone involved in the decision-making was aware of what that would end up looking like or intending to whitewash the new film, but I still boggle a little at how no-one thought "hmm, this might come off unintentionally racist."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I want to say this was 10-15 years ago now, but does anyone remember the shoe commercial (possibly Nike) where a woman was on the run from a Jason-type serial killer? Lots of backlash, even media attention because people felt the commercial glorified violence against women, even though I remember the point was she got away (I may be misremembering that though).

Another one from that time period was for an SUV. A couple is talking about buying a "family vehicle" while mom's getting an ultrasound. They're so engrossed in car talk they fail to notice the very developed fetus having a silent conniption because SUVs are "uncool." The couple then talk about the hip SUV which calms junior down. The fetus was super uncanny looking, so that combined with it being all in green and black to represent the ultrasound was unnerving and off-putting. I always assumed the commercial got pulled because I didn't see it out for long. I'd love to see it again and see how the CGI holds up!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Nostalgia4ColdWar posted:

It was mentioned earlier, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEDwr5iw0mg

An athlete, in Nike shoes, outruns JASON loving VORHEES!

Supposedly it made her look weak because she ran away from the killer. She didn't stay and fight, you know, an immortal unstoppable killer with a kill-count in the hundreds.

One of the groups protesting it asked: "Would a man have run?"

Yes. Yes they would.

Because... JASON!

It was a big loving controversy for weeks after it came out.

That's the one! More of a Michael Myers/Leatherface pastiche, but given it opens alluding to Psycho's shower scene I'm sure the point was to evoke all the major horror films a wide demographic would recognize. I remember seeing it the first time around and thought it was amazing because she got away by her own skill and speed (aided by Nike), something that breaks the horror movie rules. Even the killer is just like "gently caress it."

I never understood what upset people so much. I could see more uptight folks disliking the opening shower scene, but somehow I think it goes deeper than that.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Barudak posted:

So Coca-Cola had a twitter it ran where you would send it hateful messages add #makeithappy and it would make a "feel good image" out of the text. Sounds misguided but innocuous right? Welp, Gawker decided to test if it had any limits to what it would repost after seeing an image made out of the infamous 14 words and it turns out Cokes twitter will make pictures out of line by line tweets of Mein Kampf. It has, of course, since been pulled.

I completely missed this. The amount of disconnect Coke's marketing has to have in order not to anticipate this sort of misuse is impressive. More than one person in this thread has said "I'm in marketing" - could you all suggest why this level of disconnect occurs, especially in gigantic businesses that stand to lose a ton of money? Is it really some clueless higher-up forcing their idea and drat the consequences?

Coke thought they could solve internet trolling with a bot. :doh:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

AA is for Quitters posted:

Wawa is a dumb marketing move in NOT loving EXPANDING.

I miss my Wawa. I live on italian subs and the steak quesos there.

Unsure where you're at but here in FL WaWas have sprung up across from every other 7/11 for the past couple years. I had no idea what they were prior to their arrival and now I don't go anywhere else! Of course my friend's finance from Philly says they're no comparison to Sheets, whatever THOSE are!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

twistedmentat posted:

Oh my favorite story about butterfly labs was some buttcoiner going to their office to ask what was going on and why they had delays, and the guy who came out to talk to him was playing with a butterfly knife the whole time.

Did it happen to be Ron Perlman in an obnoxious suit?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Josef bugman posted:

That suit was amazing.

God, it really was. :allears:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

^^^ Oh Lord if Hallmark does a 50 Shades ornament I'll torch the building

Hallmark has been producing media-related ornaments for a few decades. Oh sure, it used to all be Precious Moments or Peanuts, the sort of stuff an older relative buys for the children in the family every year as a tradition. But as those kids grew up all sorts of franchises started popping up: Barbie, Star Trek, Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars, Marvel Comics, and so on. Even lifestyle type brands like Harley-Davidson have ornaments now. These days a lot of those are around $20+ a whack, "limited," and are released as 1-3 pieces a year in a "series," meaning to get every character or version one has to spend years collecting them. Seems to me this strings multiple generations along, ensuring customers at least come back every year and blow money on them in addition to cards, gift crap, and so forth.

Plus my 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Nautilus is hella sweet.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I just figured it was cheaper to make a plain red cup than to pay extra for designs and inks and stuff. :saddowns:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

My favorite bad marketing musical choice was when a couple companies were using Silhouettes by The Postal Service, a song describing dying in a nuclear war. I want to say at least one car commercial used it as well as M&Ms (although that may have been Such Great Heights).

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Just saw a piece about a Singapore clothing brand that on Black Friday put on their site a photo of a passed-out model and the click button to shop said "rape us now." Oh, and the model's make up was very reminiscent of the 70s "Baby Soft" ad. They rightfully got a ton of blowback on social media. The creative director's somewhat non-apology claims "I failed to review my graphic designer's work" but I don't buy it. Multiple people from marketing on up had to discuss this, plan the shoot, makeup, etc. My guess is either employees didn't care or stayed ashamed and silent because they were scared to lose face (and potentially a job).

Before anyone handwaves this as an English translation issue I have a really tough time believing a company that advertises and sells in English would misunderstand the connotations of the word they chose.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Speaking of advertising in video games, anyone remember Sneak King, that godawful MGS ripoff where you payed as the Burger King and snuck around various locations...to give unsuspecting people nightmares burgers?

Is that why Kaz talking about burgers is a thing in MGSV? Because Snake sneaking around to give burgers doesn't sound out-of-place in a MG game tbh.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Krispy Kareem posted:

Heroine-chic. It came into vogue with those Calvin Klein ads where teenagers were being photographed in what looked like a 70's rumpus room.

So yeah, it was unhealthy and may involve underage molestation.

Edit: beaten.

And we're finally back to the actual worst thing about that ad in the first place. Even without the text I think people would have said something, the pose is so blatant! :barf:

Thanks to those who pointed out English is super-common in Singapore.

Soda chat: I used to sell Faygo to juggalos because their clown-faced gods sprayed it on the crowds like sticky manna from Detroit. I always wondered what it was like for the Faygo folks at the time realizing the only way to push their syrup water out of the Midwest was via murder clowns. One time on a dare a coworker tried to chug the Peach flavor and ended up heaving over a storm grate in the mall parking lot. That's my Faygo story.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Watching YT on my ancient tablet means constantly skipping or muting ads, but yesterday I had an ad come up right in the middle of a video. Does the channel owner control that? Because this was an older video I was rewatching and I can't see generating a ton of revenue from old content.

Also as I skipped some embarrassing anime waifu game ad the first five seconds featured obvious pixel censorship of cleavage and upskirts. It was the most cringe-worthy pandering I've seen yet (and no clue why I'm getting them considering I'm watching old DOS games and Nintendo-related content).

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Scratch-O posted:

Oh god, I saw that one a day or two ago. I think one of them was just straight up topless. Mosaic censor blocks flying all over the place! Don't these things need to get okayed by Google or something before being shown to a general audience?

Oh ick, seriously? I thought the censoring was over clothing (albeit already scanty and sexualized) and jiggle physics and being done to convince people if they bought in they'd get nudity as opposed to the same tired tropes games have pulled since the jiggles were just pixels.

Related, Capcom a few weeks ago surprisingly pulled back on expected oversexualization by adjusting camera angles on some women. Cue dudebros going "but...but Ryu is SHIRTLESS this time" (in a non-default costume) as somehow equal to a camera that used to pan right under Cammy's crotch (in her default costume during her intro that plays every fight).

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I can't remember what article it was on Esquire but one of these was "no, I don't want to learn tantric sex" or something incredibly similar.

A few days ago I was linked to a Mental Floss interview with a woman who collects and archives vintage ads that document the shaming of women as related to personal hygiene and how that has impacts to this day. Lots of examples, some well-known if you look for this kind of thing online, but plenty of others I'd never seen. The one for Eastern Airlines is especially heinous but the "MIDOL: NO APOLOGIES ACCEPTED" runs neck and neck with "gossiping undergarments" as the most :wtf: for me.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Between the awful mutant and the absolutely disgusting ad Doritos put out I don't know who or what they're attempting to market to.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

No matter whether this was a whole swerve by AMC or not I figure it would take just one jackass to either grab a phone and throw it or straight up attack the person to get the "texting allowed" shut down loving quick.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Strudel Man posted:

Hah. I don't know, people are too thin-skinned about this stuff. I'm a vegetarian, and I recognize that it's just a silly little joke.

This is a chain restaurant marketing in a way that alienates a whole group of potential consumers and their parents (in the event the teens don't have the money). We're what, a decade or so past rolling our eyes at "my BFF Jill?" Dismissing teen girl proclivities as nothing to take seriously doesn't sound like a great marketing idea for a place that in the past seemed to advertise as a "family," "fun," "cool" restaurant. Why make fun of that intended audience unless they're trying to get health-conscious cane-shaking senior dudes in there instead? Is that the real plan? Maybe I'm too dumb to understand marketing.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Wow, that's some really fun fanart...

...wait.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I ordered dinosaurs instead because I wanted random surprise ones instead of spending the same money and picking out my own. I guess I'm a jackass, too. :smith:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

stringball posted:

will it ever end?

:allears:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Apple wireless headphones. I'm not totally adverse to the idea, but who dumps money on day one tech that you can't charge while in use and looks like would fall out and get lost with a half-hearted head slap or turning over in bed?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Bugs like the white paint a whole lot, which attracts bats. Bats are tiny and the negative air pressure from the blades explodes their lungs. It really really sucks.

Aww poor bats! I wonder if there would be a safe and financially feasible way to keep extra bugs from being attracted to the paint. I remember making a long drive past some wind farms in Indiana or Illinois (can't recall which) and they were amazing.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I can't believe the same derail that kept popping up in the Fury Road thread came here of all places.

Today's dumb move in marketing, and apologies for no pics as I'm phone posting: recently a new Marvel character was introduced, "Ironheart," a teen hero and Iron Man fan with her own suit. Comic books are still known for "variant" covers to get all that collector money, so they tapped an artist to draw one who is known for doing the typical "impossible sexy girl poses." If you didn't know the character was meant to be 15 you'd probably pass it over without a thought (or roll your eyes and give it a pass), it's not even especially egregious as far as those poses go. But for a company that advertises as being more and more diverse and wanting to cater to different demographics they sure keep falling back on Comic Book Creeper Guy (including the artists who insists it's not his fault for hypersexualing a 15 yo character because "that's who I was told to draw").

I like how the "fix" was to redraw her in the Iron Man suit instead of the belly shirt and yoga pants, but she's still got a broken hip pose. :ughh:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I figure by now most folks caught wind of United's social media fail related to denying two teens from boarding because of their leggings - http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/28/how-two-teens-in-leggings-became-a-pr-mess-for-united-airlines.html

When it went viral on twitter the, well, twit that runs their account kept spamming the exact same sentence that United had the right to remove people for "inappropriate" clothing. What they failed to explain was that the teens were flying on free passes from a employee and that's why there's a dress code. Which is still sexist and stupid, but had the social media person clarified that to begin with the initial anger would have been far less. It was such a clueless move I almost wonder if the employee was purposely trying to make United look worse.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

It's completely enforceable based on how YT handles things, but I'm sure even folks who play by the rules will get content claimed anyway.

The 90 minute rule is probably based on people who livestream then upload the raw video to YT (Twitch deletes VODs after 60 days). Streamers will have a separate channel for the full streams and there are viewers who exclusively watch them that way.

The Pepsi ad is extremely gross, much like their product. To say "but it's like any other ad" is willfully ignoring the contemporary context, especially when the casting is taken into account.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Initially the afterbirth comes out and makes an amazing splash prior to all the piss and poo poo, so no different than the majority of mammalian births.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

steinrokkan posted:

Every time I see a child I call the cops, the fire brigade, and the paramedics because there is always an implicit presence of danger. Like the parent could easily shove their child under a passing truck, or a stranger could stab them with an infected needle at any time.

If folks just stopped having children altogether the problem would solve itself.

Oh, and if companies were focused on telling rude, drunk customers that their attitudes and behavior won't be tolerated it would help quite a bit. How hard is it for an airline employee to assess a situation and conclude "I think this passenger is drunk and is making some horrid accusations about another passenger."

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

A veteran addressed this at the C2E2 (major Chicago convention) Marvel panel this weekend, specifically said he found the storyline offensive. The writer and two other members of the panel blew him off (writer continuing his apologist attitude from twitter). Marvel is handling the criticism of the storyline terribly. It's also Jack Kirby's 100th birthday this year so the current portrayal of Cap is especially misguided at best.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Update: Hydra will be rounding up their enemies, The Inhumans, in camps. The Inhumans, another superpowered Kirby creation, have become a bigger focus in the past few years since MCU doesn't have rights to the X-Men/mutant characters.

Marketing-wise some are excusing this as Marvel's way of making a relatively unknown group of characters more sympathetic ala mutants being hated, but it's just amazingly poo poo storytelling in today's political climate. Throw in rumors and speculation that Magneto* will also be revealed as Hydra all along and people are rightfully livid.

Folks like to blow off comic books as "oh those nerds and SJWs are soooooo upset who cares" but that's completely myopic in 2017.

* Magneto is canonically Jewish and a concentration camp survivor

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

What's funny is Marvel doesn't track digital sales (unsure of DC) and some accuse the company of purposely not doing so because they don't want to admit

Screaming Idiot posted:

[in a very egon voice] print is dead

Meanwhile there are consistently successful Kickstarters for creator-owned comics featuring more authentic diversity (folks expressing their own voices/stories where most media won't give them an opportunity) while the VP of Marvel claimed diversity didn't sell a month or two ago. I think a lot of people don't realize prior to the superhero boom there were TONS of different comic stories out there: romance, crime, cowboys, science-driven, fantasy, sports, etc. (and Kirby worked in all those genres). Print may be dead, but storytelling isn't, and the fact Marvel and other big companies keep catering to 40-50+ yo white guys for diminishing print sales is boggling to me.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

What would cause that sort of damage beyond deliberate tampering? Genuine question because I thought professional golf clubs would not break easily. Bend maybe, but for that many to break?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I'm starting to wonder if this sick behavior from airlines has gone on for years, but it's only in the past five or so that people are more primed to record it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

All this talk of restaurant fronts makes me wonder if a front ever accidentally become a legit restaurant, like it turned out someone was legit good at making pizza or tacos or donuts?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Implications aside that's a really unsettling label. Who would find that sort of marketing appealing? Vore fetishists? Attack on Titan fans?

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Aesop Poprock posted:

We have that in Pennsylvania at Wawa and Sheetz but they're called press screen monitors cause we live in America in 2017

Yeah but Wawa doesn't have muffuletta/olive salad and the option to scoop some of the bread out of the roll so you get less bread and a more compact sandwich (unsure of Sheetz, but my PA friends never shut up about it and said Wawa was a pale imitation).

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The Dove ad is disgusting and inexcusable since the image of black people being "dirty" and becoming clean and white is old as hell. I can't find it now but there's an excellent essay demonstrating how advertising for mundane hygiene products was and still is rife with racism and colonialism. Pears Soap comes to mind, but they were hardly alone.

Also I saw that McDs is now going to bring back the gross sauce since all the boys got their fee-fees hurt after being lovely to employees online and in-person. I wish they'd never bring back anything like it again.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Forgive me if someone linked this story and I missed it, but maybe it would be helpful to include what the actress in the Dove ad had to say about everything. Of course this has been twisted into "she says it's not racist!!!1" which is not precisely what she said.

[quote="“Werong Bustope”" post="“477304160”"]
Half a second’s thought might have led someone involved in the campaign to say “hey, most people are only going to watch the first 5 seconds of this ad, why don’t we put the white woman second instead of first”. I don’t doubt that it was innocently intended in the context of the full ad but a huge part of marketing is predicting how people are going to experience your advert.

My mum has worked in advertising from the film making side for 30 years (she’s actually just finished a different job for Dove, funnily enough) and she has a lot to say about how YouTube’s 5 second skip has changed the way ads are structured. I asked her about this case and her response was basically that ultimate responsibility rests with the client but she thinks it’s nuts that it went out in the form it did because the reaction was very predictable given the history of soap ads and a tiny edit would have sidestepped the problem completely.

She also said that Dove are a disorganised and difficult nightmare client and that their campaigns are duplicitous as well as cynical because of course all those ‘real women’ are aspiring actresses carefully vetted to make sure their ‘real bodies’ aren’t too real but that shouldn’t suprise anyone.
[/quote]

Thank you for sharing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

WebDog posted:

Didn't the Victorians keep all of the "obscene" stuff from Pompeii in closed rooms for private views where giggling was prohibited?

In general Victorians suppressed anything remotely sexual in nature concerning the ancient cultures they were robbing studying. A fun comparison is reading an Egyptian or Greek story translated in that era and it compare to a modern one.

In Pompeii a specific mural was kept from public view for years because it depicts Priapus holding up his massive penis on one end of a scale he’s holding up.