Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Fine. Modern Western city.

Although yeah, Stockholm is pretty bad.

But once you're there you never want to leave, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

jobson groeth posted:

It was probably lip balm

It's introduction to marketing 101:

"how do we target men who are insecure about using lip balm?".

LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW IT'S USED IN THE ARMY

"not manly enough..."

CALL IT 'DUKE CANNON'

"*rails coke* I love it!"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Volmarias posted:

One little trick to pay off your student loans. Actuariesarteries hate it!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I mean, I'm not sure they're racial undertones as such, so sure!

Red Oktober has a new favorite as of 16:03 on Aug 6, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Brawnfire posted:

This is called the "Good neighborverse"

The Good Place.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The 'price match' was much, much smarter than that.

It would add up everything that was on the list and take the total, and do it on the total.

So if your milk was 10p more but your washing up liquid was 10p less then you'd get nothing overall because it nets out.

But the smart part was that if you bought a 'buy one get one free' offer for instance that would go into your total too, or any other offers - in that case it would assume that you bought 2x the base amount at LIDL and you'd almost certainly make a saving on that. But it didn't work the other way - if you bought a bottle of coke (but in ALDI it would be buy one get one free) it would only calculate on a single bottle.

So if you were completely disciplined to only buy what you intended it might work in your favour, but as soon as you grab an offer they start to work 'against you'.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You can't monetize farts. You never can, never will.

Mr Methane in the UK has managed just that.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Fun fact, Apple has a stipulation for when they provide iphones to movies that villains can't use them. You can figure out who the killer is in Knives Out this way.

This is only if they provide them as part of a consideration though - if the studio buys them it’s fair game. So you have to work that out too!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Leading to the side effect of none of the “kids” replica shirts being allowed to have the sponsor on there

and a load of thriving businesses down the market where a bloke will iron the betting sponsor onto your kids shirt.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Captain Toasted posted:

I know this is pages ago but gently caress afrin withdrawal. It’s the quickest way to experience drug addiction in the world.

Just getting straight up trolled now.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Ham Equity posted:

Pretty much every time Born in the USA or I'll be Watching You is used (which is a lot).

The only time I've ever heard Every Breath You Take (I'll Be Watching You) used properly is at the end of an episode of the short lived series 'Stalker'.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Le Faye Morgaine posted:

Speaking of songs and dumb marketing, do you guys also get 1 8 77 KARS 4 KIDS DONATE YOUR CAR TODAYYY

This isn't a thing in the UK at all, so when it showed up in The Good Place as the official song of The Bad Place (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlEdlLHsvl8&t=110s) I was pretty confused.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I think Ridley Scott wanted to include that in Gladiator, but didn't because people wouldn't think it was realistic.

This is true! Maximus Decimus Meridius was supposed to endorse a particular maker (brand, seller? I'm not sure) of olive oil while in the arena.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Volmarias posted:

I remember Rome had the public announcements sponsored by some bread maker, that one sticks with me. "Roman bread for true Romans" or something.

Rome was such an incredible show.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Necrothatcher posted:

Re Zoo Chat:

Back in the 2010s London Zoo wanted to widen its audience and make some quick cash, so they came up with Zoo Lates - an adults only party with several bars and some free booze. It went pretty much how you'd expect and they had to shut it down:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/18/london-zoo-party-night-animal-welfare

I went in July 2019 so it was definitely still running by then - didn't realise it was stopped to be honest! No free booze though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And bringing things full circle, you can get drinking straws made out of pasta.

Downside is they’re around 10x as expensive as paper ones, at around 10p each.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Stonegate (who own 4.5k venues and are the UK’s biggest pub / bar group) were talking about introducing surge pricing on weekends last year. https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/sep/12/busy-pubs-charge-drinkers-more-slug-lettuce-yatess but I don’t know if they went through with it. They’ve certainly hiked prices during big football matches before.

In hospitality it’s a bit easier to do as the idea of “happy hour” or “cheaper drinks on a Wednesday” is already a thing, so they could just increase prices on the weekend as their “standard price” and reduce it during the week as an “offer price”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!