Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HamSmoothie
Nov 17, 2007
The other white meat is now a tasty beverage!
Driveclub for $60 sounds like it was, and might still be a bit of a disappointment.

I guess that's why I'm pretty happy to have found a new disc copy at Gamestop for $20 (for some reason, it's still $28 used), and it's still available for that price in-store but not online. I'm really enjoying how pretty it is and how the actual racing feels.

PSN: Spork-ography

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Sent friend requests and club invites (if you're still free agents) to Tempo and HamSmoothie.

I see they just added a little newbie tour to Driveclub, Startline. Seems to be mostly made of tour events from the DLC packs? Anyway it's a good idea, includes weather effects so it's a good way to show off how pretty the game can look, oh and here are some cool cars you'll get later on.

I'm such a bad driver. Must have spent an hour on that Mini Adventure Startline event in the rain, chasing the lead target. I tell you though, big headphones on, a Spotify playlist of modern tunes all the kids listen to, and I can just get lost in this pretty pretty driving game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Ariel Atom is pure loving evil, but I got its Accolade level to 5 because I hate myself.

Also, PS+ edition is out tomorrow.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Just picked up the full version of this and I see there's a billion goon squads, any still active? My PSN is robodextar

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

robodex posted:

Just picked up the full version of this and I see there's a billion goon squads, any still active? My PSN is robodextar

Same here, Skychrono. Only the PS+ version for now, waiting until it's $20 again I guess. Applied to Goon Turismo for now.

TerroristBob
Jul 28, 2006

Enzyte Bob is not who he seems.
I picked it up for $20 and requested an invite to Goon Turismo too. If none of those clubs are active anymore we could start a new one for those of us just getting into the game

PSN is terroristbob

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
Just an FYI, the full version of the game is $25 [edit: sale price for PS+ subscribers only] on PSN right now. It was confusing because the description still said stuff like "access to India, one of 6 locations in DriveClub" like it was the stripped down PS+ version but it's actually the full game. Just thought I'd throw that out there cause it confused the hell out of me and I almost just took a trip to the store to buy a physical version.

This game was like crack for me and my friends. They gave us a little taste with the PS+ version and then we needed more. I've never been huge into racing games so I would've never even thought about playing or buying this game if they didn't release a free version. It's really a kind of interesting free-to-play thing they're doing. And yeah, $60 is way too much for this game but the $25 bargain price seems just right to me. Shamefully, I've also bought some DLC packs at this point too.

frenton fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 29, 2015

TerroristBob
Jul 28, 2006

I made a new Club: LLJK its open for anyone who still plays

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

TerroristBob posted:

Awesome. I picked it up this week and have really been enjoying it, but none of my friends have a PS4. Even with the $20 season pass, I think $45 is a great deal so far.

TerroristBob
Jul 28, 2006

mayodreams posted:

Awesome. I picked it up this week and have really been enjoying it, but none of my friends have a PS4. Even with the $20 season pass, I think $45 is a great deal so far.

Yea i definitely think its worth the price. Project Cars was not what i expected it to be and DriveClub is good enough to tide me over til whenever GT gets released (if it ever gets released)

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

If anyone is still playing this game (late to the club, I guess :v:), I just started a new club. Let me know if you want to be a proud member of Pink n Fluffy.

Warning: I play a lot of racing games, and I am terrible at every single one of them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Got this game a few weeks ago and I'm digging it so far. It's one of the first PS4 games that has genuinely impressed me with its visuals, and the actual gameplay is fun and addictive as hell.

Still, even after a few weeks of playing, I just can't seem to get the hang of drifting. I can start the drift just fine generally, but can't seem to find the sweet spot for getting back on the gas. It's really getting to be a bit of a frustration now, as I haven't been able to make any more progress to unlock more content. I feel like there's probably something stupidly simple that I'm just not getting. I really don't want to have to give up on the game, but I kind of wish drifting was a little more "optional" as I've got the brake, turn, gas method for corners down pat, but it seems like that isn't a viable option on a lot of courses. I can race a perfect line at high speed, and still end up in last because the AI can all perfectly float around every turn.

LE
Oct 19, 2002

TerroristBob posted:

Joined as AlcoholicDali

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

pignition posted:

Got this game a few weeks ago and I'm digging it so far. It's one of the first PS4 games that has genuinely impressed me with its visuals, and the actual gameplay is fun and addictive as hell.

Still, even after a few weeks of playing, I just can't seem to get the hang of drifting. I can start the drift just fine generally, but can't seem to find the sweet spot for getting back on the gas. It's really getting to be a bit of a frustration now, as I haven't been able to make any more progress to unlock more content. I feel like there's probably something stupidly simple that I'm just not getting. I really don't want to have to give up on the game, but I kind of wish drifting was a little more "optional" as I've got the brake, turn, gas method for corners down pat, but it seems like that isn't a viable option on a lot of courses. I can race a perfect line at high speed, and still end up in last because the AI can all perfectly float around every turn.

In my experience, especially in the more powerful car classes you should be back on the gas very early into the drift. A lot of times I actually use the gas to get the drift going by letting off the throttle, turning sharp, and laying on the gas hard to fishtail 180 around hairpin turns and stuff. You can win pretty much any race in tour mode (against the cpu) just using the brake, turn, gas method but online you definitely need to master drifting. And dirty racing. My favorite tactic is going into a turn clearly too fast and using some poor soul's car as my bumper between the track and the wall. You smash them, bounce back onto the track and keep moving and they get stuck in a dead stop against the wall 15 feet from the road. It's cruel but if you don't do it someone will do it to you instead.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A new free car got added today, but you have to be level 66 to get it. It's pretty cool though that DriveClub is still getting updates. Evolution still has plans to add about 6 more updates. One of them is adding new tracks.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I am struggling with drifting too. I can pretty get 2 stars on the challenges pretty easily, but the 3rd one is either completely unattainable, or can be done in a few tries.

Otherwise, I am loving the game. There is a great feeling of accomplishment when you nail that time trial goal on some of the harder challenges.

TerroristBob
Jul 28, 2006

I'm still struggling with drifting as well. I can manage pretty well with the lower end cars but any high speed cars ... forget it

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just grabbed this and hopped into LLJK. I don't really understand what clubs really are yet but I'm sure I could figure it out or just read the manual.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
To those struggling with drifting I'd suggest practicing in the BMW M5 or the Ferrari 458. The M5 is a really really fun drifting car and easy to use because it's not super fast and super powerful. Also try the Ferarri 458 Italia or the Speciale. I used the hell out those to grind my Ferrari accolade and unlock the LaFerarri and they are really fun, easy to handle cars.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Just picked this up. Awesome game for $20. But I had no idea how much I used driving lines in Forza. This game is brutally difficult but I like it.

Sent a request to LLJK.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup

Comrade Flynn posted:

Just picked this up. Awesome game for $20. But I had no idea how much I used driving lines in Forza. This game is brutally difficult but I like it.

Sent a request to LLJK.

Yeah, that took getting used to but the way drifting works in this game the drive lines are bad anyways. It's like this game has a good balance between arcade and sim racing so Forza style drive lines aren't always the best route. Like in a lot of the cornering face-off's where you get the blue "ideal line" arrows on the ground they will always tell you to take the "outside to inside" turn method when it can actually be faster, shorter and more effective to take the shorter distance "inside to inside" turn by drifting. They've really made drifting a big risk = big reward type of thing that isn't always realistic but very fun.

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
By the way does anyone else find that this game is absolutely killer on the hands? I love the dual shock 4 and have never had any issues with other games but for some reason this game has given me a serious callous on my right index finger. I guess it's just the constant high speed white knuckle intensity of Drive Club.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Is anyone around to let me in the club? Missing out on good cars!

TerroristBob
Jul 28, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

Is anyone around to let me in the club? Missing out on good cars!

the club is capped at 6 players, im going to remove someone who joined and hasn't played and add you in

edit: try joining now

TerroristBob fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Aug 22, 2015

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

TerroristBob posted:

the club is capped at 6 players, im going to remove someone who joined and hasn't played and add you in

edit: try joining now

Thanks! Joined.

Edit: I personally leveled us up to Club Level 20 and got us that stupid Hennessey.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Aug 23, 2015

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Game is €20 now, including season pass. Completely unrelatedly, any clubs still open? Thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Game is €20 now, including season pass. Completely unrelatedly, any clubs still open? Thanks!

Mine is.

KillHour posted:

If anyone is still playing this game (late to the club, I guess :v:), I just started a new club. Let me know if you want to be a proud member of Pink n Fluffy.

Warning: I play a lot of racing games, and I am terrible at every single one of them.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ooh, I'm also terrible.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Bought in at 20 bucks, joined Pink n Fluffy. I am a terrible racer who make friends with walls, hopefully I can work on that. I don't think I've put real time in a racer since Forza 2.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Some of my beat friends are walls. :colbert:

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
I joined fluffy and pink aswell! :=)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

SA: The Bananana PSN: GhostStalker512

Looking for a goon club!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Are there any still-active clubs that have an open spot? I just got the bikes expansion because I was bored. I play sometimes, but I'm a father of 2, so I'm not super avid... but... yeah.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Feenix posted:

Are there any still-active clubs that have an open spot? I just got the bikes expansion because I was bored. I play sometimes, but I'm a father of 2, so I'm not super avid... but... yeah.

Depends on your definition of active. I have a club with two open spots but I'm the only one that has been logging on recently. As a father of 4 it hasn't been that often though. The name of the club is Pinto Fire Dept if you just want somewhere that is progressing (very slowly) and has a really lovely club paint job.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I'm downloading the 12GB of patches required to install the Bikes expansion so my club will be back open in a bit - send a friend invite to D43M0N_au_ mentioning Driveclub and I'll add you in and boot the likely idles in there.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Does the patch add anything else? There's suppose to be a lot of changes this month to the game in general such as difficulty settings.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Private lobbies are finally coming in the next patch. I know a couple people have been begging for that feature.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Does the handling and driving feel better with wheel and pedals?

Was thinking of buying a kit ahead of Gran Turismo Sport but I'd only have Driveclub which I cannot stand it at all with joypad. I'm happily playing zero-assist racing sims on PC with an old PS2/PC Thrustmaster wheel that still works perfectly :argh:

Cute as heck
Nov 6, 2011

:h:Cutie Pie Swag~:h:
This game is bad, the AI is atrocious, the netcode is bad, and I can't unlock a car without paying for it because my Ferrari driver accolade is glitched and won't level up.

But it's still the best $15 I've ever spent, because holy poo poo is this game beautiful. I can't get over the fact these are fake pictures from a videogame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I mean...they are and they aren't. When you are playing it doesn't look quite that good. But yes the photo mode filter is the poo poo.

• Locked thread