Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I expect some trans people would love the idea because they just want the feeling to go away, and others would hate it because of the "spark of identity" reason given above. It's unlikely there'd be a monolithic reaction

e: Oh right, the childhood-only caveat. Hrm, that certainly complicates things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

spoon0042 posted:

Would you put your brain in a robot body?

If it was my actual brain so I could be assured it was me and not just a copy of me, absolutely

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Xandu posted:

Is this fundamentally different than a pill to fix gay people?

The kind of gender dysphoria that causes a person to feel miserable without major surgical and hormonal intervention is fundamentally different from being gay I think, yeah. Being homosexual doesn't cause any inherent suffering.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Gender dysphora is a form of suffering, sometimes intense suffering. Homosexuality is merely a sexual orientation

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Sharkie posted:

And some people have mental/emotional suffering from being gay

Inherently? Or as a result of other people's reactions to their being gay? The difference is not just semantic

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

I always get the impression from your posts itt that you think any suffering related to being trans comes solely from other people/culture mistreating or misunderstanding you because you're trans (like it does for homosexuality). I think that's ridiculous because I have known trans people who were surrounded by loving, supportive, totally accepting people who nevertheless suffered from being trans because the dysphoria is inherently an unpleasant feeling.

Regardless of how cool and accepting your culture is about being trans, being trans is still going to hurt because it's just a bad feeling for your mind and body not to match. I don't think you can say that about being gay.

Torka fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 31, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Sharkie posted:

No, I guess I can see how I came off that way, but that's not what I meant to imply. I absolutely think dysphoria hurts in and of itself. It's just that I'm kind of skeeved out by the premise of assuming "what if we could use nanobots to make trans people stop being trans," and I wanted to bring things back more towards pointing out that a magic brain re-writer isn't a goal worth paying attention to, and emphasizing the social aspects of dysphoria was part of that attempt. For what it's worth, I'm transgender, so yeah, I absolutely agree that dysphoria sucks, and that's also why I'm probably taking this a little personally, especially since it seems to be coming at it from "why can't we use psychiatry to make people stop being trans," except using nanobots instead of whatever other methods have been tried.

I completely see where you're coming from now, sorry for getting a little combative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Sharkie posted:

Again, I'm just wondering why gender dysphoria was picked as the debate topic, instead of say, depression or anorexia or whatever.

I used to resist medication that was offered for my depression because I was afraid it would change who I was (this is a pretty common fear). Eventually I did start taking it, but it wasn't because I changed my mind about that. I still think they probably do change your personality somewhat. It was just that the problems the depression was causing had become severe enough that changing who I was seemed like the lesser of the evils.

• Locked thread