Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm sure we're all familiar with the concept of transgender individuals, although I'll be talking specifically about those currently suffering from gender dysphoria (or who will in some hypothetical future).

The generally accepted treatment for gender dysphoria is rather serious. Lengthy hormone treatments, invasive surgery, and even then it's often not to the end point the sufferer would wish.

But what if there was another way? What if there was, for example, a pill someone could take that would "reset" the brain's self-conceptualization, essentially fixing sexual dysmorphia not by changing the body but by changing the mind, causing it to see itself the way it is.

Would making and developing such a drug be moral? Would taking it be acceptable?

Now, imagine that the drug only worked in the formative years. On children, essentially. Would it be acceptable for parents of children experiencing gender dysphoria to give their child the drug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MizPiz posted:

Can I, as a man, take this pill to become a woman so I can experience the miracle of child birth, than take it again the become a man?
It's... I'm not sure if you're understanding the hypothetical at all. The drug changes minds, not bodies.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

for real though in terms of the childhood hypothetical i dont think it's possible to determine gender dysphoria until adulthood anyway because perception of gender roles is culturally established and requires an adult's understanding to truly express so the better solution is just to abandon the strict gender dichotomy in favor of a gender spectrum to encourage societal acceptance of trans people
Gender dysphoria would exist and be bad for the person who has it without any cultural expectations. Their body still wouldn't match their mental map. Being treated like your mental gender by others certainly helps, but there's a reason so many want to go as far as hormone treatment and surgery. Even cultures that accepted such people, the issue still existed.

And yeah, it's (usually) something that is realized pretty young.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Hey what if we had a magic pill that could turn black kids white? Makes you think.
We'd end up living in a world where Michael Jackson turned white, probably.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've met anyone with the gender roles issue that identifies as trans? I've seen people identify as genderqueer who adopt that sort of position, but unless that adopting is triggered by an underlying dysphoria based on a mental mismatch with their physical body, the hypothetical pill wouldn't change anything about them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Nameless_Steve posted:

Don't gently caress with people's brains:
1) irreversibly
2) against their will
3) because they're different

Is this a "don't do it if its one of these" or "don't do it if its all of these"? The second case I can agree with, but the first one is... pretty divergent from mainstream opinion. loving with people's brains in an attempt to give them a better life is like the major purpose of the psychiatric system, through means both direct and indirect, and plenty of those means are in fact irreversible. Do you believe psychology to be immoral?

Xandu posted:

Is this fundamentally different than a pill to fix gay people? I understand the point that gender dysmorphia is not easily treated (through surgery/hormones), but if it's a part of one's identity, then it can't and shouldn't really be changed.
Depression and addiction and religion are all, or at least can both be, pretty fundamental to a person's identity. But most people don't argue that there's anything inherently wrong with anti-depressants, methadone clinics or attempting to convert people, although all can be applied in ways people find immoral.

And parenting is rather inherently concerned with shaping and changing the identity of children, instilling in them beliefs and behaviours that will serve them well throughout their life. In what way is this meaningfully different, other than that the effect would be known and reliable?

And this is a disorder that will cause significant quality of life issues. The debate is actually being played out right now, in real life, in deaf and blind communities, where the pill isn't a pill and isn't magic, but the procedures do exist to "correct" blindness and deafness in childhood... but many blind and deaf families are opposed, because they see those things as defining features of their children's identities and cultures.

Kylra posted:

Presumably we're talking about medicine type interventions (pills, surgery), not talking to people. If we cast a wide enough definition, then just having a baby which grows up is constantly loving with their brain.
This is... pretty much a true statement though. A lot of people are super screwed up because of it, while others are super successful!

• Locked thread