Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RagnarokAngel posted:

The difference is Sickle Cell Anemia or Cancer or something like that is a problem on a biological level. It's nature's fault, so we can't fix it without curing it (or at least treating the symptoms).

Lack of acceptance of sexual preference/gender identity is a society level problem, we can fix that.

I think it's generally accepted that at least a portion of being transgender and/or experiencing gender dysphoria comes from differences in the physiology of the brain. Basically, the brain and the body don't match each other on a biological level. The current treatment for such is to alter the body to match the brain, since we don't know how to do it the other way around, but there's no inherent reason why we couldn't alter the brain to match the body (which is what the Magic Pill would do) if it were a more effective treatment. This is not really the same as sexual preference, or even how you choose to express your gender or lack thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm literally a transgendered woman so yes I am aware. The point I was trying to make is the vast majority of the problems for trans people come from stigma, which is a societal problem. If trans people could be their desired gender without being harassed it wouldn't totally alleviate the problem (They still would hate their body) it would remove a lot of the stress of it.

Absolutely. Given the perfect medical technology, both for treatment of the body and the brain, individuals would be able to make a choice between whether to treat the body to fall in line with one's mind, or visa versa, but we don't have perfect treatment for either. As it stands, I would agree that most of the negative effects of being transgender are due to society's reaction to it, as opposed to any innate quality of being transgender.

• Locked thread