Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Yeah but what if the pill backfires, and instead of curing the person's gender dysphoria, it merely triggers their secondary gender dysphoria and turns them into a furry blue gorilla? It's happened before!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
Alternately, what if the pathology of gender dysphoria isn't in the person's brain, but rather in society's response to that person? And the magic pill only treats a surface symptom, leaving the disease to rage on unchecked within the body politic?

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

That this (I assume semi-ironic) suggestion will actually be true for some but not all transpeople was the crux of my previous post.

Sure (and I agree with your post), but it seems like you weren't contesting the assumption that the OP made with respect to your other category of trans* person (the one who feels really bad about their body). The OP said that the pill would change a person's mind, "causing it to see itself the way it is." I have two problems with this assumption.

First, it contradicts (my extremely limited understanding of) neuroscience, which says that the brain of someone with gender dysphoria is actually more similar to the brain of their preferred sex role. The brain DOES see itself the way that it is, and rebels against the body. If we view gender dysphoria as a disease, the brain isn't the unhealthy part, the body is - thus, it seems to me that we should focus on better surgery or hormone interventions as our ideal, instead of brain rearranging.

Second, the hypothetical in the OP seems to place the burden of change on trans* people (or their parents), instead of on society as a whole. As a philosophical thing, I think that a just society does as much as possible to accommodate psychological difference, instead of forcing individuals to conform through medical treatment. This isn't always possible (people with severe depression should change their brain chemistry instead of committing suicide), but I think in the case of gender dysphoria (the kind you're talking about, where the person feels bad about their body) the onus is clearly on society.

Rereading the OP to make this post, I realize that this assumption may have been made in good faith, and that the X-Men joke was perhaps unproductive. I apologize for that. I just finished writing a research paper on the legal standard for health care for transgender prisoners, and I had to read a lot of terrible bigoted poo poo, which I read into the OP.

• Locked thread