Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Jerusalem posted:

That slapfight was pretty sad to watch, much like CM Punk in his match with Mickey Gall.

I kinda hope UFC finishes up his contract pretty soon so I can close this thread.

Or you know, you could let the members of this forum talk about the topics that they want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Or you know, you could let the members of this forum talk about the topics that they want to.

Do you post anything anymore that isn't bitching about Jerusalem? He's doing a solid job.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

How many times in the last month have you pmed fatherdog on twitter to report jerusalem for gimmick modding

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
could jerusalem beat cm punk

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Endorph posted:

Could CM Punk beat CM Punk

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

coconono posted:

Punk might have a chance if he can land a headpunch.

So, no chance at all then.

Endorph posted:

No chance at all. v:shobon:v

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Jerusalem posted:

So, no chance at all then.

No chance at all. v:shobon:v

Hm, one might say you have No Chance

No Chance In Hell

You Got

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Bluedeanie posted:

How many times in the last month have you pmed fatherdog on twitter to report jerusalem for gimmick modding

This was funny

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It seems weird for a wrestler to transition to MMA because, in a weird way, they are total opposites. Like it would make more sense for a pro wrestler to go into something like competitive dancing or some kind of Cirque type of deal. Because at it's core when you're wrestling you're supposed to be protecting the other guy in the ring (obviously this is not how it always works, but still) all your trained movements, strikes and routines are built around dealing as little possible damage to your "enemy" and using your own body in many cases to break their falls or take the brunt of the force from various "destructive" moves. It seems like if you had decades of training on how to get into a ring and fake punch someone it might get in the way of actually punching them, especially if you do those kinds of things as a gut reaction (I'm always impressed when wrestlers who obviously get concussed are still able to throw worked punches and do worked spots and it happens kinda frequently too). It seems like there would be more crossover skill with a thing like Dancing with the Stars.

Honestly the best bet I think for him to make money is he should team up with some organization and do a kind of straight edge tough love reality TV detox show thing, where, like, Punk, Dr Drew and Andrew WK help people kick addictions and live clean. That seems like a concept that could run for 5-6 seasons on TruTV or whatever and make everyone involved modest second house money.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
true ... but in another, more real way, they share some similarities. :P

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Like it would make more sense for a pro wrestler to go into something like competitive dancing or some kind of Cirque type of deal.

CM Punk has signed with Cats the musical.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It seems weird for a wrestler to transition to MMA because, in a weird way, they are total opposites. Like it would make more sense for a pro wrestler to go into something like competitive dancing or some kind of Cirque type of deal. Because at it's core when you're wrestling you're supposed to be protecting the other guy in the ring (obviously this is not how it always works, but still) all your trained movements, strikes and routines are built around dealing as little possible damage to your "enemy" and using your own body in many cases to break their falls or take the brunt of the force from various "destructive" moves. It seems like if you had decades of training on how to get into a ring and fake punch someone it might get in the way of actually punching them, especially if you do those kinds of things as a gut reaction (I'm always impressed when wrestlers who obviously get concussed are still able to throw worked punches and do worked spots and it happens kinda frequently too). It seems like there would be more crossover skill with a thing like Dancing with the Stars.

Honestly the best bet I think for him to make money is he should team up with some organization and do a kind of straight edge tough love reality TV detox show thing, where, like, Punk, Dr Drew and Andrew WK help people kick addictions and live clean. That seems like a concept that could run for 5-6 seasons on TruTV or whatever and make everyone involved modest second house money.

It's basically a cross between tumbling, action choreography, and acting.

Most wrestlers fancy themselves as legitimately tough and know that UFC is getting bigger, while wrestling is stagnant, and felt like it was shrinking a couple of years ago before NXT finally took off as a thing people really wanted to watch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It makes perfect sense because for generations pro wrestlers were actual tough guys, some could beat the top boxers in a fight because of their ground skills. Thus, many wrestlers had chips on their shoulders. They could fight, but the only real way to make money with their skillset was to fake fight. That has greatly declined in the last 40 years, but the mentality that you should be a legit tough guy won't go away completely. It's natural a guy paid to be a fake tough guy might wonder what would have happened if he went into real fights instead.

dont even fink about it posted:

It's basically a cross between tumbling, action choreography, and acting.

Most wrestlers fancy themselves as legitimately tough and know that UFC is getting bigger, while wrestling is stagnant, and felt like it was shrinking a couple of years ago before NXT finally took off as a thing people really wanted to watch.

The audience is still shrinking and NXT doesn't exactly have a huge audience.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Both Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock went from Pro wrestler to shoot fighter. Early MMA, especially in Japan was very much entangled with pro wrestling.

Obviously doesn't really happen like that today outside of freaks like Lesnar, the skillset is way more specialized now and you aren't going to come in from someplace else and do well without it.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 30, 2017

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

By all accounts pro wrestling as we know it today pretty much evolved from proto-MMA, where legitimate wrestlers and shoot-fighters figured out they could make more money from putting on rigged exhibition fights than they could from having straight-up contests, and then developed into the sport we know and love today where Lance Steel from the past fought Lance Steel from the future in a "Loser Leaves The Present" match.

Notably, one of these guys who participated in the formative years of pro wrestling was Mitsuyo Maeda, the guy who taught what would become BJJ to the Gracie family.

All of these people would beat CM Punk.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

exploded mummy posted:

Do you think Punk could beat a 12 year old Japanese girl???

Not if they are in the same weight class.

Bring back Sakuraba

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

A month ago, I'd say that I'd love to see Punk vs Shibata

Punk vs. Saku to let the latter hopefully retire with a win

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
At this point seeing Punk back in wrestling is a welcoming thing.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
https://mobile.twitter.com/ChallengeMTV/status/867077702188015616

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9WOdnR-Nfs

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Gotten you nowhere in life? Punk's a millionaire who can do what the gently caress he wants?

His 'mental game' poo poo talking needs some work.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You have to be a right prick to come across worse than CM Punk in an ego contest but that guy did it so good for him.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You have to be a right prick to come across worse than CM Punk in an ego contest but that guy did it so good for him.

I for one am shocked that a guy called Johnny Bananas is a bigger prick than CM Punk.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
That dude's right, it's gotten CM Punk nowhere in life except a couple million dollars and a comfortable life where he can retire before 40 if he wanted to.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Next episode he'll talk poo poo on Richard Branson for not being a real astronaut.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I have been informed that there's a 9 year old Japanese girl with a better MMA record than CM Punk and a lot more upside

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

BGrifter posted:

Next episode he'll talk poo poo on Richard Branson for not being a real astronaut.

and unlike Punk, Branson connects when he throws hands.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Wazzu posted:

Gotten you nowhere in life? Punk's a millionaire who can do what the gently caress he wants?

His 'mental game' poo poo talking needs some work.

Later he called him CM Bitch

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Lol couldn't make it in wrestling? Sure ok.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

Lol couldn't make it in wrestling? Sure ok.

He never main evented mania but MTV challenge alum The Miz did

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
well the miz is better than punk so, uh , yeah?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

MotU posted:

True

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Johnny Bananas would also beat Cum Punk in a UFC fight no question about it

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

African AIDS cum posted:

A literal bunch of Bananas would also beat Cum Punk in a UFC fight no question about it

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MotU posted:

Correct.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Punk got bitched pretty good by CT last night on that MTV show.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

By the way it was confirmed that CM Punk has, in fact drank a beer

He did it at a toast for Harley Race when a bunch of wrestlers went out for his birthday a few years ago because "gently caress, it's just one drink and it's in honor of Harley"

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Bollocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Punk got bitched pretty good by CT last night on that MTV show.

My DVR seems to have deleted the episode before I could watch it and I was avoiding spoilers (which, to be fair, was pretty easy since no one was talking about it) but if I wrote fan fiction then CM Punk getting punked by CT would definitely be something I wrote. I'm sad I missed it.

• Locked thread