Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Looking at Punk's fight I doubt he'd need that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Push El Burrito posted:

Which MMA guy could make it big in wrestling? My bet is on Hulk Hogan who founded Pride.

:swoon:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

idris elba

lol, first I've heard of this.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Push El Burrito posted:

Which MMA guy could make it big in wrestling?

Who even knows with how little personality fighters get to show? Matt Riddle is one of the hottest things going in indie wrestling and I don't think anybody who saw his fight career would have guessed that would happen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That slapfight was pretty sad to watch, much like CM Punk in his match with Mickey Gall.

I kinda hope UFC finishes up his contract pretty soon so I can close this thread.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I doubt anyone could possibly beat #August1Warning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRAdWcfpM_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFYzgOPi5Hw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mma is fake and has fake storylines only the fighters do more drugs but are slightly less racist, and sometimes a guy does a cool kick off the wall like billy lee from double dragon

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Endorph posted:

mma is fake and has fake storylines only the fighters do more drugs but are slightly less racist, and sometimes a guy does a cool kick off the wall like billy lee from double dragon

Bimmy Lee, if I may.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Who even knows with how little personality fighters get to show? Matt Riddle is one of the hottest things going in indie wrestling and I don't think anybody who saw his fight career would have guessed that would happen.

guy that smokes a ton of weed (like rvd, matt sydal) and doesn't actually connect with his punches is a big wrestling star?

whom indeed would have thunked such a thing

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LobsterMobster posted:

guy that smokes a ton of weed (like rvd, matt sydal) and doesn't actually connect with his punches is a big wrestling star?

Hey, he broke that guy's jaw one time!

I guess I just saw him as a middling guy remarkable for being dumb and never thought that he was the right kind of dumb to be a pro wrestler.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Jerusalem posted:

That slapfight was pretty sad to watch, much like CM Punk in his match with Mickey Gall.

I kinda hope UFC finishes up his contract pretty soon so I can close this thread.

If hes still a UFC fighter all CM PUNK chat should be moved to the UFC thread. no exceptions. close this thread immediately, i wanna discuss UFC fighter CM Punk in the rightful thread

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Who do you think would win in a fight Punk or Doobie?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
A doobie? Because we already know the answer to that.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I figured Riddle would either be a big star in a B-league or get a commentary/announcing gig. I don't think anyone predicted exactly how great he turned out to be at pro wrestling.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

NienNunb posted:

Who do you think would win in a fight Punk or Doobie?

Does Doobie get to wear his sweet trucker helmet?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

LobsterMobster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9p7ShOSnQWE

Called "The Bro"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LobsterMobster posted:

Matt Sydal doesn't smoke weed he smokes synthetic weed because he's a dumbass.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

Do you think Punk could beat a 12 year old Japanese girl???

Easily

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Detroit_Dogg posted:

The only ones that I really remember were one guy saying CM Punk could beat up Joe Rogan and one guy saying he wouldn't be surprised if CM Punk fought for the title

I was the guy who said he wouldn't be surprised if CM Punk fought for a title if he got some wins. This is the same UFC that signed Punk in the first place, why wouldn't I put it past that same organization to do a carny move like feed Punk to a champ?

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
It did seem a bit precious to be like "ok we'll put one unqualified fighter on our card, but TWO is out of the question" but maybe that's just my low opinion of the parties involved

Anyhow I play softball with a guy that washed out of short season A ball in a year and he doesn't seem like the same species as us on a ballfield--the difference in skill between amateur and high level competition in spots is so massive it was always preposterous Punk would do anything in the UFC. Lesnar couldn't happen again today, the training is too specialized

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

King Bahamut posted:

It did seem a bit precious to be like "ok we'll put one unqualified fighter on our card, but TWO is out of the question" but maybe that's just my low opinion of the parties involved

Anyhow I play softball with a guy that washed out of short season A ball in a year and he doesn't seem like the same species as us on a ballfield--the difference in skill between amateur and high level competition in spots is so massive it was always preposterous Punk would do anything in the UFC. Lesnar couldn't happen again today, the training is too specialized

That is a silly comparison since Brock was not only competing in the weakest division at the time, but he actually had a background of successfully competing in a high level sport that was directly applicable to MMA. Punk had no combat sports or grappling experience beyond somewhat casual bjj trainin on the side of his pro wrestling career, so he effectively had two years of late-life mma training punctuated by surgery and recovery time before coming into the UFC, which is pretty much unheard of.

The only factor that made people feel he had a chance besides the fact that "anything can happen" is that Gall was young and inexperienced, 2-0 as a pro against cans, so this matchup wasn't that uncommon at face value for a z league promotion and you do see the debutant win in those matchups sometimes. But that still isn't a great comparison since CM Punk had the worst of both worlds, he had the inexperience and lack of training of a 22 year old making their pro debut in Skidmark Fightz Championships, but he was old for combat sports and due to the nature of pro wrestling his body already had the damage of a veteran fighter with 100 bouts to their name.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
brock beat a top 10 heavyweight like a year ago

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I wouldn't call Randy Orton top ten but

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Punk should fight the green ranger. And lose.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Foul Fowl posted:

brock beat a top 10 heavyweight like a year ago

Voided to No Contest due to steroid pop

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Voided to No Contest due to steroid pop

Does that mean Mark Hunt gets a better purse? I hope so.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Unfortunately not

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

look, if ian mackaye can realize it's cool to smoke weed every once in awhile i think punk can realize steroids are good

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fushin posted:

I was the guy who said he wouldn't be surprised if CM Punk fought for a title if he got some wins. This is the same UFC that signed Punk in the first place, why wouldn't I put it past that same organization to do a carny move like feed Punk to a champ?

Lol

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'm not going to try and hide the fact I was wrong.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fushin posted:

I'm not going to try and hide the fact I was wrong.

Respec

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To be fair you weren't wrong, I wouldn't put that past UFC. It's just the "getting some wins" part that would never ever happen.

I'm happy Punk got out of WWE and realized his life-long dream of getting punched in the face on purpose instead of by accident.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
yeah i also wouldnt put it past the ufc to give a title shot to a guy who won all his fights

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah i also wouldnt put it past the ufc to give a title shot to a guy who won all his fights

I'm glad you proved to be smart, my friend.

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Skip My Posts posted:

I figured they could have found him somebody who was worse than him a few times to pad his record but no, he really is just that bad.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

To be fair, I'm certain that if Punk went to Japan to fight he'd get thrown into some freakshow title fight immediately

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

chaleski posted:

To be fair, I'm certain that if Punk went to Japan to fight he'd get thrown into some freakshow title fight immediately

Oh man, we were a decade too late to see Punk get his head kicked in by Crocop.

Actually, I think we could set that one up regardless.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

chaleski posted:

A month ago, I'd say that I'd love to see Punk vs Shibata

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

exploded mummy posted:

A month ago, I'd say that I'd love to see Punk vs Shibata

Punk might have a chance if he can land a headpunch.

• Locked thread