Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Captain Log posted:

I know nothing about wrestling but the name CM Punk rings a bell. He is apparently friends with my main man Chael Sonnen (see AV) and this means I will like him. Good for him if he can parlay his poo poo into other ventures. God drat I hope he knows how to fight though.

Here is a video of Chael Sonnen for you people who do not know him -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpT2W4zRzzM

Here is a video of what happens when you don't know how to fight (a real live navy seal!) and step into a real fight - (Saunders vs. Wolff) - Please, everyone, watch this and think about this Punk fellow and what could happen.

http://www.ufc.com/media/Saunders-vs-Wolff-UFN-16-Prelim-Fight

He also does a lot of those Gracie how to's.

Say what you like about him, Punk's going to have the greatest advice anyone can get before being brutally murdered live on PPV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Triticum Guzzler posted:

like, how heavy is he, what does he look like, what relevant experience does he have?

He's been involved with professional wrestling in some way or another since he was 18(?) years old, he's 36 years old now. He does not have much in the way of formal MMA training -- he started training BJJ at Gracie schools like 2 years or so ago and apparently has been doing "MMA training" for the past 6 months or so. He has no amateur record to speak of.

His knees are shot to poo poo and he's had several surgeries to deal with them, he's looking to compete in middleweight or light heavyweight.

He's better than your average professional wrestler because he's straight edge and has avoided PEDs, but he's never been one of the most athletic guys out there. His selling point as a wrestler was being more of a personality than as an athletic freak a la Lesnar. He was a good wrestler, but his strengths laid more in story telling and plotting out matches.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i see, thank you, additionally: Lol.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Captain Log posted:

I also need to know if he should be hated or loved. What are his feelings on Mark Hunt?

Punk and Sonnen are quite a lot alike, in terms of personality. Unlike Sonnen, Punk has actually managed to run with the ball when he's been given it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdRo9JsfBZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALSvyje8no

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Perdido posted:

Unlike Sonnen, Punk has actually managed to run with the ball when he's been given it.

making fun of a man's illness... that's low

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
My favorite wrestler is Punk, my favorite MMA fighter is Sonnen. Now that Punk is filling the Chael-sized hole in MMA, I guess it's time for Sonnen to head to the WWE.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

making fun of a man's illness... that's low

Ahaha, what's the joke I'm missing here?

All I know about Sonnen is he's had a number of great opportunities laid out for him and through a number of unfortunate circumstances, he's had them all blow up in his face (almost beating Jones, getting popped for PEDs, etc.)

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Perdido posted:

Ahaha, what's the joke I'm missing here?

chael sonnen's prodigious ped use began by saying in a drug testing hearing that he never went through puberty and he would die unless allowed to take steroids constantly backed up by a on osteopath who doesn't own a suit

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

that's seriously awesome and I hope Chael starts repping Punk if only for the surreality of having a known PED user back an avowed straight edger.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
The worst part of this news is that were going to have to see wrassle posters talking about mma again while not knowing poo poo about poo poo

I eagerly await exciting topics like Meng, whether someone is a real shooter, and who is a "legit tough guy"

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
With the history of concussions the man has this can't end well. Hell, he got one in the Royal Rumble from some stupid flying nothing. How he expects to fare against someone, you know, who is actually trying to punch and kick him in the head for real is hillarious. Does he expect to just clinch them to death and never take any hits?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yuriy posted:

The worst part of this news is that were going to have to see wrassle posters talking about mma again while not knowing poo poo about poo poo

Most of the MMA posters don't know a lot about MMA, let's be fair.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Captain Log posted:

I also need to know if he should be hated or loved. What are his feelings on Mark Hunt?

@CMPunk posted:

I remember in 2004 staying up past midnight with @SamoaJoe to watch Mark Hunt fights live from Japan. Then we went to strip clubs.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Shots fired by Ben Askren,

https://twitter.com/Benaskren/status/541435768778915840

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Aurain posted:

Most of the MMA posters don't know a lot about MMA, let's be fair.

You remember posture-posting guy? You remember CivilDisobedience and rambling about stupid poo poo he knows nothing about?

Welcome to every day of post-CM Punk MMA

Do we introduce BeanFried and DM Punk or will love find a way?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The only good that could come of this is if Ryback slimmed down, started training and made it his life's goal to beat the poo poo out of CM Punk for realsies and end this stupidity

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

as far as I am aware there are two UFC fighters, Bork Laser and Ronda Rousey so I'm pretty sure no matter which one he is going to fight he's going to die

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yuriy posted:

You remember posture-posting guy? You remember CivilDisobedience and rambling about stupid poo poo he knows nothing about?

Welcome to every day of post-CM Punk MMA

Do we introduce BeanFried and DM Punk or will love find a way?

I happily welcome more posture-posting. There's not a day goes by I don't remember that and laugh. That and whoever called Condit milquetoast and had a grudge against him for being from a well to do family.

If CM Punk brings more of that, I happily welcome it.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

There are only two wrestler/MMA crossover dudes who aren't infuriating garbage and one can't eat a salad and the other is currently playing a draft while listening to Bolt Thrower

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Ben Askren and Nate Diaz made the best points about this and Nate did it in 3 letters

Why

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Yuriy, you're going to need to embrace this as something absolutely magical.

CM Punk is going to be the reverse Lesnar. There is going to be a hope, deep in the back of everyone's minds that Punk is going to pull it off and become dominant in MMA despite every single indicator being that the deck is heavily stacked against him. We're already getting people making spurious claims and rationalizing it, thinking that Punk is going to do well. And then something like this is gonna happen.

Like, yeah, maybe Punk will win a match against a blindfolded Nick Ring or something. But this is gonna be a tragic comedy and it's gonna be great.

Enjoy it, hahaha.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

There are only two wrestler/MMA crossover dudes who aren't infuriating garbage and one can't eat a salad and the other is currently playing a draft while listening to Bolt Thrower

Curious, what's your issue with Sakuraba?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

Sheeiiiiittttt, I knew I forgot someone

Perdido posted:

Yuriy, you're going to need to embrace this as something absolutely magical.

CM Punk is going to be the reverse Lesnar. There is going to be a hope, deep in the back of everyone's minds that Punk is going to pull it off and become dominant in MMA despite every single indicator being that the deck is heavily stacked against him. We're already getting people making spurious claims and rationalizing it, thinking that Punk is going to do well. And then something like this is gonna happen.

Like, yeah, maybe Punk will win a match against a blindfolded Nick Ring or something. But this is gonna be a tragic comedy and it's gonna be great.

Enjoy it, hahaha.

Ya but if I wanted to watch a loving idiot try to rationalize and make excuses for someone who isn't even particularly good at fighting, I'd dig up the old Socrates/Fedor posts

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

Actually after Metamoris I feel less bad about this because that's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back that I spent watching an asian dude cosplaying a mummy with no knees

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Yuriy posted:

I eagerly await exciting topics like Meng, whether someone is a real shooter, and who is a "legit tough guy"

Here's a guy filming a computer showing butter bean fighting sean o'haire

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50bd83lvnAw

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Couldn't he gently caress off to Inoki Genome Federation and play pretend there?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

Actually after Metamoris I feel less bad about this because that's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back that I spent watching an asian dude cosplaying a mummy with no knees

Who do you think should join UFC next after WWE:

- Zack Ryder
- Dolph Ziggler
- Alberto Del Rio
- The Bunny

On the one hand, I think Ryder could really do something without being held down by Vince McMahon and Triple HHH, but I do think that Ziggler has shown to be a legitimate tough SOB on the basis that he takes such a shitkicking night in and night out on Monday Night RAW. Del Rio has prior MMA experience and the Bunny could be a legitimate dark horse candidate, if you'll pardon the pun, LOL!

Can I start sending LividLiquid PMs about War Machine?

EDIT: Also, this reminds me of my comic books........

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Perdido posted:

Can I start sending LividLiquid PMs about War Machine?

dont even joke about that

also del rio would beat the poo poo out of punk and it'd probably own

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dexters Secret posted:

Punk is an incredibly driven individual and I think he has a decent chance of defeating another UFC rookie. But even if he doesn't, it's not gonna be a big deal, other than his next fight won't be as much of a draw. He's doing this for fun anyway, and is a writer for Marvel now.

I think all the remarks that Punk is gonna get literally murdered is comin' from people that are just upset deep down that this nigh-clenches the fact he's never returning to the WWE.

Posts like this are the best and I sincerely look forward to more people who have never watched an mma fight ever in their lives commenting as well

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Who sucked worse before they signed with an mma org: Punk or Kimbo

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Well on the one hand Kimbo beat up hobos and on the other hand Punk sometimes looked like a hobo.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Link to the Helwani/Punk interview if you missed it like I did.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/7/7347369/cm-punk-discusses-why-he-decided-to-sign-with-the-ufc-mma-debut

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Hobo-beating and gypsy removal are actually both good MMA backgrounds

I really hope his first fight is against some cornfed Iowan drunk that just lays on top of him for 15 minutes and slowly grinds away any desire wrassle-fans have to watch this sport

b-b-b-b-but where's the finishers?!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SaberToothedPie posted:

Who sucked worse before they signed with an mma org: Punk or Kimbo

Kimbo had some form of fighting experience before even if it was against people they found in a kmart parking lot whereas punk backhanded an innocent man in a wrestling crowd once which I believe is his only shoot fight

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

I genuinely hope for a pure Fitching for Punk's debut, just relentless Fitchery

I want there to be a glimmer of hope as Punk scrambles and escapes only to get instantly doubled back down

I want to see the light fade from his eyes as he realizes he done hosed up and I want to be here to watch wrestle-posters realize that CM Punk is a 36 year old washed up whiny wrestler who never main evented a Wrestlemania or won a fight

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I'm really curious as to what his ground game is like (:laffo:) because I've actually watched a number of the Gracie Breakdowns where he's popped up and....I dunno! To my admittedly very green-as-goatshit eyes, he seems very very very rudimentary with his training. But most clips that we've seen of Punk rolling are very brief, are extreme closeups where it looks like he's drilling rather than rolling or are a combination of lovely camerawork and clips.

Seeing Punk get wrestlefucked would be an experience. I say this as a fan of the guy, too.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 7, 2014

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

So I was 212lbs this morning. If I started now I could probably make 185 by summer time. So I would be an 0-0 fighter over the age of 30, with 7 years of BJJ and about 6 months of standup training.

I need to talk to my gym's mma coach

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Kimbo had some form of fighting experience before even if it was against people they found in a kmart parking lot whereas punk backhanded an innocent man in a wrestling crowd once which I believe is his only shoot fight

Excuse me sir, it should be noted that Punk also got into a legitimate (NOT WORKED) shoot fight against one Teddy Hart in the middle of a Denny's or some poo poo many moons ago.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The real victim in all of this is WillieDee, just imagine how pissed he must be that a guy who doesn't even fight got into the UFC and James Thompson is stuck in loving Bellator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
CM Punk is better than my other favorite mma person Bob Sapp so he will be really good & win a lot

• Locked thread