Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

quote:

In the main event, there were two dudes. One of them was Irish, performing in front of an Irish crowd in Ireland. He won the bout which helped his after party immensely. A friend of mine persuaded me to it, despite my inclinations. He bullshitted his way in, sorta, and then we had an amazingly unfun time, surrounded by orange women in very little, operating under the delusional hope that UFC guy would gently caress them, repeatedly, into some sort of monetary positive. At the same time, most of the males I saw were weighted towards steroids and skipping leg day. Seriously, I have walked into offices full of computer nerds slaving away with better backs and posture. Admittedly, none of them were four foot wide with rounded shoulders that bad, tearing their backs to shreds. Personally, I felt ashamed I was there but learned a lot about how the human body can be distorted detrimentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

KoldPT posted:

CM Punk is better than my other favorite mma person Bob Sapp so he will be really good & win a lot

Bob Sapp at one point was a real fighter and has had real fights making him about infinity times more relevant and deserving of UFC $ than CM Punk

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Perdido posted:

Excuse me sir, it should be noted that Punk also got into a legitimate (NOT WORKED) shoot fight against one Teddy Hart in the middle of a Denny's or some poo poo many moons ago.

Teddy hart should start training his cats for mma once he gets out of jail for rape or whatever

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Teddy Hart's cats deserve a UFC spot and money more than CM Punk in that I'm pretty sure cats have had a real fight and aren't broken down, washed up 36 year old men playing pretend in spandex

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

I mean there's no rule that says cats can't be cage fighters

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Yuriy posted:

I mean there's no rule that says cats can't be cage fighters

Jesus Christ shut up

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

I have compiled a comprehensive list of people in the UFC with less skill and experience than CM Punk:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Yuriy posted:

Bob Sapp at one point was a real fighter and has had real fights making him about infinity times more relevant and deserving of UFC $ than CM Punk

Both are internet memes, however.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Perdido posted:

Well on the one hand Kimbo beat up hobos and on the other hand Punk sometimes looked like a hobo.

"sometimes"?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Yuriy posted:

I have compiled a comprehensive list of people in the UFC with less skill and experience than CM Punk:

You should compile a comprehensive list of good posts too

j/k yuriy you're the best

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think it's cool that Punk gets to do this and he probably won't win ever but hey good on him. Well, bye

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The literally homeless 1-10 boxer that they brought in to take a dive to a 62 year old Mickey Rourke in Moscow has more of a fighting background than CM Punk

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...

Yuriy posted:

Are we counting chinese fighters?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
I have one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdhkIgsK7Dk

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
its almost like mma, much like wrestling, is more spectacle than sport....

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Davros1 posted:

"sometimes"?

Other times he looked like a cult leader or the lead singer of Maroon 5.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I wonder if Yuriy thinks CM Punk is qualified enough to be an MMA fighter. I'm having a hard time getting a clear picture from this thread

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

SaberToothedPie posted:

Are we counting chinese fighters?

That yoga instructor from TUF: China has had at least 1 exhibition fight making him more relevant and credulous than CM Punk

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Spermgod posted:

its almost like mma, much like wrestling, is more spectacle than sport....

when it's doing things right, yeah

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Perdido posted:

He's better than your average professional wrestler because he's straight edge and has avoided PEDs, but he's never been one of the most athletic guys out there. His selling point as a wrestler was being more of a personality than as an athletic freak a la Lesnar. He was a good wrestler, but his strengths laid more in story telling and plotting out matches.

no actually he's worse off for avoiding PEDs

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

I wonder if Yuriy thinks CM Punk is qualified enough to be an MMA fighter. I'm having a hard time getting a clear picture from this thread

No

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

oatgan posted:

no actually he's worse off for avoiding PEDs

I meant within the context of being able to get cleared for a fight. But then again, Dave Batista, so I dunno where the gently caress I was going with that.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

:eyepop:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

in an ironic Twist of Fate, bisping has called out CM Punk

you see, it is also a wrestling move and about as real as the prospects of CM Punk winning a fight against someone who isn't a can or paid to take a dive

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yuriy posted:

I want to see the light fade from his eyes as he realizes he done hosed up and I want to be here to watch wrestle-posters realize that CM Punk is a 36 year old washed up whiny wrestler who never main evented a Wrestlemania or won a fight
all of the wrestle posters are already making fun of him for going into mma dude

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
So how serious is Punk about the straight-edge thing? I could see him winning fights against some nobodies simply on the ground that he can afford way better designer gear than most.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grifter posted:

So how serious is Punk about the straight-edge thing? I could see him winning fights against some nobodies simply on the ground that he can afford way better designer gear than most.
he has like 50 tattoos and has never even taken painkillers even when he had a huge staph infection

he's really hardcore about it

alternate answer: WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
There are two certainties in this:

1. I will buy whatever UFC PPV Punk is on
2. Punk gonna die

I mean, I'll be cheering for him and all, but yeah...

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

all of the wrestle posters are already making fun of him for going into mma dude

Most are but there are people in this and other threads who are legitimately convinced he has a chance

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I think a lot of people are counting out CM Punk's intangibles, his will to win and his unorthodox offense.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Grifter posted:

Serious enough that he'll write fanfiction about his beliefs.

http://cmpunk.livejournal.com/11306.html

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 9 days!)

Q: Can I watch Punk's MMA debut on the Netwwerk?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Endorph posted:

he has like 50 tattoos and has never even taken painkillers even when he had a huge staph infection

he's really hardcore about it

alternate answer: WHAT DO MY KNUCKLES SAY

He most likely is but I don't think "taking a dude's word for it" is the best way to determine if someone's clean.

Also it's funny one of the things Punk bitched about was part-timers coming in and taking top spots in wrestling, and here he's doing the same thing in MMA. At least the wrestling part-timers he complained about were some of the most famous dudes in wrestling and had proven their worth there, rather than just random dudes trying to trade on their fame to finish their bucket lists or w/e.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

when he said 'i hated that the rock came in and took away a top spot from actual wrestlers,' he meant 'i hated that the rock came in and took away a top spot from me, cm punk'

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

alansmithee posted:

He most likely is but I don't think "taking a dude's word for it" is the best way to determine if someone's clean.

Also it's funny one of the things Punk bitched about was part-timers coming in and taking top spots in wrestling, and here he's doing the same thing in MMA. At least the wrestling part-timers he complained about were some of the most famous dudes in wrestling and had proven their worth there, rather than just random dudes trying to trade on their fame to finish their bucket lists or w/e.

He's not really taking a spot from anyone as I doubt he'll be a main or semi-main position on the card. As well, UFC cards and rosters have been diluted for a while, which is a much different situation than WWE's where the rosters have been stacked.

I don't know how the pay structure is in UFC, either, but fighters are generally paid per fight, with (some?) main events getting a cut of PPV buy money, yes? If anything, Punk will probably pop a buyrate for 1-2 cards.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

So is every MMA poster an infuriating dicklord or are we just privileged in that respect

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

Punk is an incredibly driven individual and I think he has a decent chance of defeating another UFC rookie. But even if he doesn't, it's not gonna be a big deal, other than his next fight won't be as much of a draw. He's doing this for fun anyway, and is a writer for Marvel now.

I think all the remarks that Punk is gonna get literally murdered is comin' from people that are just upset deep down that this nigh-clenches the fact he's never returning to the WWE.

Dexters Secret posted:

So is every MMA poster an infuriating dicklord or are we just privileged in that respect

Lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dexter's secret is an idiot but that doesnt mean you're not a dicklord

like seriously i have never seen you contribute anything that wasn't aggressively smug posturing over loving fake fighting.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 7, 2014

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

1) check your privilege

2) i'm interested why you think the only people who think there's a very high chance Punk gets turned into roadkill are just bitter WWE fans. I know I've been clowning a bit in this thread, but I am a fan of the guy and would love to see him do well. His age, prior injuries and inexperience are all pretty significant loving hurdles to clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Endorph posted:

dexter's secret is an idiot but that doesnt mean you're not a dicklord

like seriously i have never seen you contribute anything that wasn't aggressively smug posturing over loving fake fighting.

Endorph is a monstrous human being but he's completely correct in this situation.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread