Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.
The worst part of this news is that were going to have to see wrassle posters talking about mma again while not knowing poo poo about poo poo

I eagerly await exciting topics like Meng, whether someone is a real shooter, and who is a "legit tough guy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Aurain posted:

Most of the MMA posters don't know a lot about MMA, let's be fair.

You remember posture-posting guy? You remember CivilDisobedience and rambling about stupid poo poo he knows nothing about?

Welcome to every day of post-CM Punk MMA

Do we introduce BeanFried and DM Punk or will love find a way?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The only good that could come of this is if Ryback slimmed down, started training and made it his life's goal to beat the poo poo out of CM Punk for realsies and end this stupidity

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

There are only two wrestler/MMA crossover dudes who aren't infuriating garbage and one can't eat a salad and the other is currently playing a draft while listening to Bolt Thrower

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Ben Askren and Nate Diaz made the best points about this and Nate did it in 3 letters

Why

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

Curious, what's your issue with Sakuraba?

Sheeiiiiittttt, I knew I forgot someone

Perdido posted:

Yuriy, you're going to need to embrace this as something absolutely magical.

CM Punk is going to be the reverse Lesnar. There is going to be a hope, deep in the back of everyone's minds that Punk is going to pull it off and become dominant in MMA despite every single indicator being that the deck is heavily stacked against him. We're already getting people making spurious claims and rationalizing it, thinking that Punk is going to do well. And then something like this is gonna happen.

Like, yeah, maybe Punk will win a match against a blindfolded Nick Ring or something. But this is gonna be a tragic comedy and it's gonna be great.

Enjoy it, hahaha.

Ya but if I wanted to watch a loving idiot try to rationalize and make excuses for someone who isn't even particularly good at fighting, I'd dig up the old Socrates/Fedor posts

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

Curious, what's your issue with Sakuraba?

Actually after Metamoris I feel less bad about this because that's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back that I spent watching an asian dude cosplaying a mummy with no knees

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Couldn't he gently caress off to Inoki Genome Federation and play pretend there?

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Perdido posted:

Can I start sending LividLiquid PMs about War Machine?

dont even joke about that

also del rio would beat the poo poo out of punk and it'd probably own

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Hobo-beating and gypsy removal are actually both good MMA backgrounds

I really hope his first fight is against some cornfed Iowan drunk that just lays on top of him for 15 minutes and slowly grinds away any desire wrassle-fans have to watch this sport

b-b-b-b-but where's the finishers?!

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

I genuinely hope for a pure Fitching for Punk's debut, just relentless Fitchery

I want there to be a glimmer of hope as Punk scrambles and escapes only to get instantly doubled back down

I want to see the light fade from his eyes as he realizes he done hosed up and I want to be here to watch wrestle-posters realize that CM Punk is a 36 year old washed up whiny wrestler who never main evented a Wrestlemania or won a fight

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The real victim in all of this is WillieDee, just imagine how pissed he must be that a guy who doesn't even fight got into the UFC and James Thompson is stuck in loving Bellator

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

KoldPT posted:

CM Punk is better than my other favorite mma person Bob Sapp so he will be really good & win a lot

Bob Sapp at one point was a real fighter and has had real fights making him about infinity times more relevant and deserving of UFC $ than CM Punk

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Teddy Hart's cats deserve a UFC spot and money more than CM Punk in that I'm pretty sure cats have had a real fight and aren't broken down, washed up 36 year old men playing pretend in spandex

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

I mean there's no rule that says cats can't be cage fighters

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

I have compiled a comprehensive list of people in the UFC with less skill and experience than CM Punk:

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

The literally homeless 1-10 boxer that they brought in to take a dive to a 62 year old Mickey Rourke in Moscow has more of a fighting background than CM Punk

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

SaberToothedPie posted:

Are we counting chinese fighters?

That yoga instructor from TUF: China has had at least 1 exhibition fight making him more relevant and credulous than CM Punk

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

I wonder if Yuriy thinks CM Punk is qualified enough to be an MMA fighter. I'm having a hard time getting a clear picture from this thread

No

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

in an ironic Twist of Fate, bisping has called out CM Punk

you see, it is also a wrestling move and about as real as the prospects of CM Punk winning a fight against someone who isn't a can or paid to take a dive

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

Punk is an incredibly driven individual and I think he has a decent chance of defeating another UFC rookie. But even if he doesn't, it's not gonna be a big deal, other than his next fight won't be as much of a draw. He's doing this for fun anyway, and is a writer for Marvel now.

I think all the remarks that Punk is gonna get literally murdered is comin' from people that are just upset deep down that this nigh-clenches the fact he's never returning to the WWE.

Dexters Secret posted:

So is every MMA poster an infuriating dicklord or are we just privileged in that respect

Lol

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

Endorph is a monstrous human being but he's completely correct in this situation.

Quoting this so you don't edit it

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

I got into MMA because of Brock. Went to sports bars to watch his fights, had to deal with mouth-breathers wearing Affliction shirts who pissed all over the bathroom and had all the manners you would expect from inbreds.

Brock stopped fighting, I stopped caring about MMA.

I'm assuming Punk's run will be the same for myself and other wrestling fans.

How was their posture though

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Dexters Secret posted:

I think it's weird people are measuring Punk solely on his Muay Thai experience, like the professional wrestling stuff doesn't matter.

Lol are you like trying to make posts this laughable

Punk is no josh Barnett or sakuraba

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Phil Baroni:
@cmpunk yeeeeaaahh Rrriiigghht you bitch. You ain't fighting
Nobody. Let's go #homo

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Spermgod posted:

kinda surprising no freakshow japanese mma promotion has ever done a 3 way match tbh

I'm sure ZST has, they do tag team mma

Cardboard Box posted:

who is phil baroni

The new York badass

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah most likely

i don't respect him for using homophobic language

He drank cobra blood with roger huerta

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

archerb posted:

Anyone laughing at and wishing ill upon elderly, worn-out stage fighter cm punk for following his (alleged, huge guaranteed payday) dream and becoming an actual fighter are basically the bad guys in a disney channel sports movie and I'm not sure how you could live with yourself in that case.

Actually Punk is the bad guy because he's taken a slot and money that should be going to up & comer Ben Askren with 0 credibility or any reasoning other than "he's kinda famous!!!"

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

ChampRamp posted:

One day Askren says he wants to fight in the UFC, the next day he doesn't want to fight in the UFC.

That's partially on him. Make up your loving mind.

Well, maybe they should have taken the money they're spending on a guy who has never fought before and has no skill set to speak of and use it to pay Ben enough to get him to come to the UFC instead of beating up asians for six figure paydays

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

It's fitting that this is being announced on December 7th because this is an even bigger tragedy

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Thauros posted:

I know you've hated Punk for years and it's fair to dislike the fact that a beat up pro wrestler with no legit background is getting a shot over dudes with far better credentials due to name value.

You know drat well why this is happening though, this has already gotten publicity from plenty of mainstream news sources and Lesnar has shown that a popular WWE guy will draw fans who otherwise wouldn't purchase a show.

Yes, Lesnar obviously had infinitely more potential to be a top level guy due to his amateur background and size, but that's not necessary to build excitement and draw. It's not like there's not plenty of precedent for MMA orgs to do poo poo to make money that's not in the best interest of pure competitive sport value either.

I know "why" they did/are doing it, I absolutely hate it and don't think it's comparable to Brock who had an extremely strong wrestling pedigree

It's a bitch move that sounds like something out of the Strikeforce/Bellator play book

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

we do not get invested in Pro Wrestling.

good joke

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

CarlCX posted:

-Randy Couture getting a heavyweight title shot after getting knocked out at a lower weightclass and retiring
-Nick Diaz losing, retiring in a huff, getting a title shot, losing, retiring in a huff, then getting Anderson Silva
-Kimbo Slice flunking out of TUF, being brought in anyway and getting multiple fights
-Tito/Ken: the trilogy that always ends exactly the same way
-Mark Hunt, the comeback so improbable the UFC didn't even want it until he forced them and lost in a minute
-Joe Silva's desire to see Yoshihiro Akiyama murdered forever
-Rin Nakai escapes Japanese slavery, gets punched several times by a confused-looking model
-James Toney, a fighter who literally does not know what MMA is

MMA is built on bitch moves, yuriy, it's just a question of which ones hit, which ones miss, and which ones are hilarious, and this will be hilarious no matter what happens.

Embrace the love.

1) hes randy couture
2) 209 bitch
3) i have no investment in kimbo slice but his credentials are better than that of punk
4) don't care, way before my time
5) mark hunt has k1 level striking
6) Sexyama owns
7) confused-looking model Can't be a model if you look like you're constantly sniffing farts
8) boxing credentials

i already said that it'd be funny to see him get fitched, so i'm down for seeing cm punk get beaten up but instead they'll feed him a can and we get to do it all over again and the GDT for any CM Punk UFC thread are going to be so bad

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Triticum Guzzler posted:

what does cm stand for

after his podcast i'm gonna guess "crying minge"

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

CM Punk is stealing valuable main card slots from Todd Duffee

i fixed that for you

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Gatts posted:

So how is Phil gonna do with bring straight edge and healing after getting demolished. Like does he have 6 to 8 months between fights?

im pretty sure he takes painkillers and poo poo for medical stuff and if he fought that often he'd fight more frequently than just about every ufc champ and most people

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

okay i take it back

if the ufc does this:

i will be all for cm punk in the UFC

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

it's what lets him absorb the light of the lord so well

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jason-David-Frank-59303

okay so he's not 0-0, but he's close, 3 ammy fights, 1 pro fight

this could work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

or fight mickey rourke in his mma debut

i would be down for that as well

if we're gonna make the ufc into a freakshow, let's go all out

• Locked thread