Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
this whole thing won't not be funny. here's an example of a time when an mma guy went to pro wrestling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_12qn29WKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

henkman posted:

Kurt Angle sucks

true, but he has an olympic wrestling background and got humiliated by a lovely mma guy on his own stage. cm punk, however

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Seltzer posted:

I'm really glad someone made this thread so it didn't bleed over. 24 loving pages...

Go to 6:23 to hear the only opinion you need on the situation.
http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/11/7379215/nate-diaz-weighs-in-on-missing-open-workouts-ufc-uniforms-cm-punks

or listen to the whole loving thing cuz it's the realness

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I'd buy a wwe ppv if one or both diaz brothers were at the event and someone came out to challenge them in the ring pro wrestling style. History shows us that this would be worth my money.

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i wonder how many fans the ufc gained from brock being in the ufc and how many immediately left after he was annihilated

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

does anyone have a link to that thread in qcs post brockmaraccas.jpg?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

MOD CHALLENGE: Watch Severn/Shamrock 2 and make your next post in this thread a minute-by-minute review.

<3

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i was watching 11 the other day and lol'd when the ring girl was walking around with ARAXES or something on a card and then tank abbot pushed a guys face against the cage until he tapped out

good posting drunk goon

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

You beautiful, insane bastard

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

both proud mma traditions

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

he'd definitely get kicked out of the ufc for doing that to johnson

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Whoever told the anecdote about working in a video store in the 90's and realising that whenever a very obviously mentally retarded person walked in there was a 100% chance of them making a bee line to the wrestling section, you should know that I may have forgotten you, but your insights live on in my heart.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

1st AD posted:

Phillip Brooks has no background in any sports so he is probably not used to working hard

I don't know anything about pro wrestling training, but I would think whatever it entails would probably qualify as hard.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

If you practice doing anything for a year and half you better be more than ok at it by the end

*does a year of psych undergrad* hmmm. Autism.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

it's not that outrageous. i'd argue it's wrong but 1-4 were pretty drat close.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Punk won't chug a beer, but he drat sure will pump is rear end full of non human hormones

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

*CM Punk" posted:

"...We'll see how smart you are when the K-9 comes"
Thursday January 8th 2004, Baltimore Maryland

Allison Danger picks up the inoccent looking Punk rock wrestling hooligan who hasn't slept on a Wednesday night in the past three months at the Baltimore airport. What follows is their story. Names have been mostly made up due to Punks hatred for officers of "the law"...

So yeah, I let Allison drive my car, and she doesn't crash it, so we celebrate by me getting pulled over for (are you ready for this?).....
:drum roll:
Driving too close to the vehicle in front of me.
At least that's what the very clean cut looking officer who more than likely winds down his hard days "work" by downing a case of beer and beating his wife silly because he's embarassed he can't help his 8 year old with his math homework told me. I was told that I was following one and a half car lengths behind the guy that cut me off, when I was supposed to be following him TWO car lengths.
Officer Douche Mcallister asks me the usual questions, and the entire conversation went exactly like this:

Pig McBlueboy: Do you have anything in the car in the way of drugs or weapons?
Punk: Nope.
PM: Okay, i'm going to go run your license, just sit tight...
Punk: No worries.
::Idiot cop walks back to his car::
...in the meantime, another squad pulls up...
Punk: Figures they'd need two cars for something as stupid as this. I can't believe he's writing me a ticket for something this stupid.
Allison Danger (looking in the side mirror of my car): Um, Punker, I want you to keep calm.
Punk: Huh? I am calm, I just think it's stupid that (Punk sees that the second squad is a K-9 unit) WHAT THE gently caress?!?!?!?
Allison: Punk, just keep cool!
Punk: gently caress that, I don't....OH...OH! You've got to be kidding me!
::Officer #2 approachs my car with his DRUG DOG::
Punk rolls down passanger side window and yells at cop
Punk: ARE YOU RIBBING ME? GET THAT loving DOG AWAY FROM MY CAR!
::officer does'nt respond::
Punk: Serisouly, are you loving kidding me? Hey!
::officer starts to knock on Punks car with his hands::
Punk: Okay, Okay! Honestly, you loving DICK, get the gently caress away from my car, or i'll eat your dog.
::Officer #1 approachs Punks car once the dog and officer #2 are dog circling the car::
Officer Dickhead: Can I ask you to step out of the car?
Punk: Absolutely not.
Officer rear end in a top hat: Well, I need to explain this to you...
Punk: Do it with me in the car
Officer Bitchass: Well, can you step out of the car...
Punk: Ya know what, fine...
Now this is where it gets fairly hilarious people. I literally step out of the car, and once i'm fully stood up, i'm at least a foot taller than this cop. The look on his face was priceless. He takes a step back, and I poo poo you not, gulps. I'd imagine i'm horribly frighting looking by this point, because i'm legit furious that this little bullshit profile stop of my car results in a drug dog harassment. He backs up, never taking his eyes off me, and I nearly back him into traffic...
Officer Justshitinhispants: Um...this is your warning.
Punk: Great ::turns to walk away::
Officer Banana Brains: You need to take this, but before I give it to you, what do you want to tell me about what's in your car?
Punk (now turning green): What?
Officer pleasedontkillme: Is there anything in the car you want to tell me about, I'll give you the chance to tell me the truth, why were you in Nashville?
Punk::raising his fists right in the cops face:: What do my knuckles say?!
Cop: Why were you ::gets cut off by a very angry Punk::
Punk: WHAT. DO. MY. KNUCKLES. SAY?
a very sad looking police man: Drug free.
Punk: Exactly, so i'm a little offended about the dog right now.
Copper: Um...okay, well, here's your warning, have a nice day
Punk: Go gently caress yourself.

Reading this back now, it doen't even do it justice. Allison was sure that I was going to jail due to the way I was freaking out
Every day of my life is like this. Never slowing down, always topping the day before. Life is hard, and I hate politics.
Jimmy Rave is going bald.
Bill Behrens is a sonofabitch.
And I, soon to be the leader of the world, am better than you.
Go play in traffic.
Also, R.I.P Sterling James Keenans girlfriends Iguana.
XxX

RIP mma poster dangersim who got probated today for asking why grown men watch pro wrestling

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Even if that's true, given Rufusport's attitude towards beginners and sparring, it's entirely possible (and even likely) that every single one of those smoker opponents was a better and more experienced fighter than Gall.

put in perspective, mickey gall is roughly as experienced and successful in mma as forum poster Marching Powder

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

this might be the most counter-able punch ever thrown

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Team_q posted:

I know it's a bad arm punch, but what exactly is wrong? Is he not timing his hips with his arms? Mistimes a weak distraction jab, and basically commits his whole body to a tepid uppercut to the body?

it's disingenuous to say 'literally everything' but that is honestly what's going on. he's punching like he's doing a front lateral raise which might be the weakest possible arm punch. most of a punches power is generated in the legs and hips, and it looks like he is actually bouncing forward meaning he doesn't even have a base. defensively, it is really important to have your chin tucked to your chest to brace your neck, and it is desirable to have the hand that is not punching retracted to your face or 'chambered' so you can defend or attack again. if your style does not require your hands to be by your face at all times (see: dom cruz, tj dillashaw), then you need to have your feet in the perfect position and be completely on balance to react defensively to anything that might be coming back at you. punk is doing literally none of these things.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i'd like to reiterate that the punch punk is throwing is the most perfect invitation to the most brutal of knockouts, where the neck snaps around like a whip, their body goes completely limp, and their head bounces off the canvas, where they remain long past the time the fans are done hootin and hollerin about the sick ko and sobers everyone up with the reality that something could be seriously wrong. it might be the worst punch thrown in earnest both offensively and defensively. it's pretty much completely imperfect.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Good uppercuts are so beautiful to behold.

this actually contrasts really well with punk's uppercut to demonstrate the power generated in the legs (though not so much in the defensive aspect). notice how in this one his punch lands just as his feet leave the floor on the bounce. this indicates the full force of his hips and legs are on the end of that punch. conversely, in the punk uppercut, you can watch his bounce peak while his arm is still rising, his punch connects when the rest of his body is actually going down.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

for my money, the most technically perfect uppercut thrown in mma was from pickett. this is prescribed as a cure for erectile dysfunction in some countries

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

Also Ben Askren hit a Stone Cold Stunner on Punk at the end of a grappling practice and everyone laughs except Phil who is all "gently caress me!"

Hahaha

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

uncleKitchener posted:

Punk was pretty terrible early in training. Even if he fails, I'm sure he come out of this with a lot of experience.

he comes out of the experience roughly as experienced as several hundred 20 year olds today

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kurohashi posted:

Now that it's been about 20-months with that training schedule I think his chances are pretty good to compete with a springy, young 2-0 guy like Gall.

As much as I enjoy making GBS threads on Punk because I don't watch pro wrestling or whatever, if he gets blown out of the water by a 2-0 guy after 2 years personal training with world class* trainers, that's insanely pathetic for both him as an individual and his camp. It will be competitive.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Is War Machine still the most horrible piece of poo poo in MMA?

(I figure there's probably a guy who had at least one amateur fight and also committed murder, but he was on prime time television.)

Joe son is the only guy that's definitely worse.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

where are people watching this and is it worth the time?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I mean, I'm not going to say he's great but he does give us things like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In22IW_r2iE

how have i never seen this before? the rigidity of his body before he wakes up with an expression and a scream that indicates he's seeing c'thulu. incredible.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Alain Post posted:

CM Punk says he "isn't trying to talk anyone into the building" for his fight with Gall, which I'm sure is thrilling news to UFC who signed him to do specifically that

in fairness to punk, the only reason i invited a few close mates to watch me fight for the first time was so that i didn't wuss out and go scurrying out the back door. i'm trying to imagine what it must be like to have to invite a big bunch of children and often literally retarded adults who all think i'm just the loving best to come and see me get my rear end loving kicked. no matter how much you get paid, that's got to loving suck.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

what gyms do you guys go to where arms like that are 100% normal for a natty lifter?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CoolCat posted:

He used to work out a lot when he was younger. He looks like an old dude who just kept up up with it somewhat. Even if he left it for a while, muscle memory would kick in. People are acting like he looks like 70's Arnold FFS lol. He is in great shape for someone of his age, but let's not go insane and start going on about steroids.

lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

*looks at 56 year old man with the size and vascularity of at least .75 mutant vitor belforts* let's not go crazy and say things we can't take back about steroids

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dr. Abysmal posted:

CM Punk should make his entrance while carrying a giant X across his back

i think punk should fight in the ufc before trying to imitate the legendary joe son

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i hope to god that's < 6 months into it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Keg posted:

I liked when Punk gave an interview on FOX Sports and said that he would give Gall, a BJJ brown belt, problems on the ground.

It's not as outrageous to say that in MMA, for example, that documentary that featured Dustin Poirier arm barring that BJJ black belt when he was only a blue belt.

However good or bad punk is at this stage though I am almost positive he could not be as good as Poirier was then. So yeah it's still a stupid thing to say. Thanks for reading.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

potn regularly go to brutal knockouts

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Yeah he's at +375ish right now. I'm actually surprised the line isn't a lot crueler

if it stays about there i'll be betting on punk. i have absolutely nothing to go on other than imagining how far i could go in two years with top coaches, elite sparring partners and an open checkbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Memento posted:

You'd also need bad knees and back injuries and about fifty concussions

dan henderson

with enough money for medical bills and coaches to work to minimize the impact of your physical limitations while emphasizing your strengths, you can be competitive with a 2-0 guy and if you can't, that's insanely embarrassing and not just for punk.

• Locked thread