Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER
My favorite response was from Nate Diaz.

E: https://twitter.com/NateDiaz209/status/541436933948178433

Perdido fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Dec 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

VoLaTiLe posted:

I wish Punk luck in this but with the amount of complaining he's done about taking bumps in the WWE. I'm surprised he's willing to step into the octagon and actually fight for real.

I guess nobody will know how good he is untill he actually fights but I hope its not a white wash like the video of that Navy Seal which was linked earlier

Punk was more annoyed with the fact he wasn't given time to recuperate and was constantly being asked to come back early...and then wasn't being properly compensated for it.

He's going to have nowhere near the schedule that he had in WWE, is going to have actual loving doctors that won't let him get in the ring if he isn't 100%, and he's going to get paid handsomely to get his poo poo pushed in.

I'm expecting Punk to lose in UFC. I'm at about the same skill level as Punk is with BJJ and it's laughable that he thinks he's going to be able to run with these guys. Like, does he really think he's going to be able to hang against guys who have training for this all of their life?

I honestly thought we might have seen him try a Metamoris competition or something, not straight up UFC.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

We were so close to people finally being able to stop debating on whether or not CM Punk was ever coming back

So close

This is Punk being an eccentric millionaire. He's not coming back.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

E: ^^ Ooh, gotcha. Sorry, just got home from work and it's 530AM, haha.

I'm so loving excited for this, and the fact that Dana White has said there's plans for a UFC in my hometown next year means there's a great chance I'll be able to see Punk most likely get his head kicked clean off.

If Punk manages to secure a win right off the bat, awesome. This is going to be fantastic.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

can anyone tell me who the gently caress is cm punk

he's the husband of a famous WWE wrestler. also he writes comic books.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

like, how heavy is he, what does he look like, what relevant experience does he have?

He's been involved with professional wrestling in some way or another since he was 18(?) years old, he's 36 years old now. He does not have much in the way of formal MMA training -- he started training BJJ at Gracie schools like 2 years or so ago and apparently has been doing "MMA training" for the past 6 months or so. He has no amateur record to speak of.

His knees are shot to poo poo and he's had several surgeries to deal with them, he's looking to compete in middleweight or light heavyweight.

He's better than your average professional wrestler because he's straight edge and has avoided PEDs, but he's never been one of the most athletic guys out there. His selling point as a wrestler was being more of a personality than as an athletic freak a la Lesnar. He was a good wrestler, but his strengths laid more in story telling and plotting out matches.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I also need to know if he should be hated or loved. What are his feelings on Mark Hunt?

Punk and Sonnen are quite a lot alike, in terms of personality. Unlike Sonnen, Punk has actually managed to run with the ball when he's been given it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdRo9JsfBZM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YALSvyje8no

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

making fun of a man's illness... that's low

Ahaha, what's the joke I'm missing here?

All I know about Sonnen is he's had a number of great opportunities laid out for him and through a number of unfortunate circumstances, he's had them all blow up in his face (almost beating Jones, getting popped for PEDs, etc.)

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

that's seriously awesome and I hope Chael starts repping Punk if only for the surreality of having a known PED user back an avowed straight edger.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Shots fired by Ben Askren,

https://twitter.com/Benaskren/status/541435768778915840

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Yuriy, you're going to need to embrace this as something absolutely magical.

CM Punk is going to be the reverse Lesnar. There is going to be a hope, deep in the back of everyone's minds that Punk is going to pull it off and become dominant in MMA despite every single indicator being that the deck is heavily stacked against him. We're already getting people making spurious claims and rationalizing it, thinking that Punk is going to do well. And then something like this is gonna happen.

Like, yeah, maybe Punk will win a match against a blindfolded Nick Ring or something. But this is gonna be a tragic comedy and it's gonna be great.

Enjoy it, hahaha.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

Actually after Metamoris I feel less bad about this because that's 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back that I spent watching an asian dude cosplaying a mummy with no knees

Who do you think should join UFC next after WWE:

- Zack Ryder
- Dolph Ziggler
- Alberto Del Rio
- The Bunny

On the one hand, I think Ryder could really do something without being held down by Vince McMahon and Triple HHH, but I do think that Ziggler has shown to be a legitimate tough SOB on the basis that he takes such a shitkicking night in and night out on Monday Night RAW. Del Rio has prior MMA experience and the Bunny could be a legitimate dark horse candidate, if you'll pardon the pun, LOL!

Can I start sending LividLiquid PMs about War Machine?

EDIT: Also, this reminds me of my comic books........

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Well on the one hand Kimbo beat up hobos and on the other hand Punk sometimes looked like a hobo.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I'm really curious as to what his ground game is like (:laffo:) because I've actually watched a number of the Gracie Breakdowns where he's popped up and....I dunno! To my admittedly very green-as-goatshit eyes, he seems very very very rudimentary with his training. But most clips that we've seen of Punk rolling are very brief, are extreme closeups where it looks like he's drilling rather than rolling or are a combination of lovely camerawork and clips.

Seeing Punk get wrestlefucked would be an experience. I say this as a fan of the guy, too.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 7, 2014

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Kimbo had some form of fighting experience before even if it was against people they found in a kmart parking lot whereas punk backhanded an innocent man in a wrestling crowd once which I believe is his only shoot fight

Excuse me sir, it should be noted that Punk also got into a legitimate (NOT WORKED) shoot fight against one Teddy Hart in the middle of a Denny's or some poo poo many moons ago.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

I have one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdhkIgsK7Dk

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Davros1 posted:

"sometimes"?

Other times he looked like a cult leader or the lead singer of Maroon 5.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

oatgan posted:

no actually he's worse off for avoiding PEDs

I meant within the context of being able to get cleared for a fight. But then again, Dave Batista, so I dunno where the gently caress I was going with that.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Grifter posted:

So how serious is Punk about the straight-edge thing? I could see him winning fights against some nobodies simply on the ground that he can afford way better designer gear than most.

Serious enough that he'll write fanfiction about his beliefs.

http://cmpunk.livejournal.com/11306.html

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

alansmithee posted:

He most likely is but I don't think "taking a dude's word for it" is the best way to determine if someone's clean.

Also it's funny one of the things Punk bitched about was part-timers coming in and taking top spots in wrestling, and here he's doing the same thing in MMA. At least the wrestling part-timers he complained about were some of the most famous dudes in wrestling and had proven their worth there, rather than just random dudes trying to trade on their fame to finish their bucket lists or w/e.

He's not really taking a spot from anyone as I doubt he'll be a main or semi-main position on the card. As well, UFC cards and rosters have been diluted for a while, which is a much different situation than WWE's where the rosters have been stacked.

I don't know how the pay structure is in UFC, either, but fighters are generally paid per fight, with (some?) main events getting a cut of PPV buy money, yes? If anything, Punk will probably pop a buyrate for 1-2 cards.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Dexters Secret posted:

So is every MMA poster an infuriating dicklord or are we just privileged in that respect

1) check your privilege

2) i'm interested why you think the only people who think there's a very high chance Punk gets turned into roadkill are just bitter WWE fans. I know I've been clowning a bit in this thread, but I am a fan of the guy and would love to see him do well. His age, prior injuries and inexperience are all pretty significant loving hurdles to clear.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

1st AD posted:

Lol, so CM Punk isn't remotely a blue belt. He's trained infrequently with Rener.

Yeah, this is why I don't loving get people saying he's practically a purple belt. Don't you have to have been a blue belt for like 3 years before you're eligible for purple belt consideration under IBJJF rules? (This is where someone tells me that the Gracie Academies go by their own system.)

And I don't think it's "he's trained infrequently with Rener." He apparently trains in Chicago (one of the Gracie Breakdowns he featured on had him giving a shout out to someone there IIRC), but given that up until this year he was on the road constantly and was also incredibly banged up, I'm curious as to how well he has been training. It's more "he's been training very infrequently", period.

The clips they've had of him rolling on Gracie Breakdowns are interesting. Again, going off foggy memory, but there was one where he was making a fairly common white belt mistake and put himself into a submission fairly easily...and again, I'm saying this as a guy who has been training 2-3 days a week for about 2 years now (ie, not very experienced or knowledgeable.) It's going to be interesting seeing what guys with solid grappling backgrounds are gonna do with Punk, both training and in whatever actual fight he gets.

Perdido fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 11, 2014

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Viper_3000 posted:

Again, your talking about a guy who nearly died from an undiagnosed MRSA infection, who's knees were trashed at the end of his pro-wrestling career from constant abuse, and who has been on the road 260+ days a year for the past 10+ years, 300+ days for the past 3. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to sit on a couch for half a year while he heals, gets married, figures out how best to make the transition, and waits for his legal matters to get settled.

But it makes perfect sense for him to jump into a professional MMA fight after 3+ years of being on the road for 300+ days, having trashed knees and having spent the last year convalescing and not training the limited amount of experience that he does have.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Viper_3000 posted:

Jesus Christ. The guy isn't fighting next month. More than likely we won't see him fight until October/November/December. Everyone makes it out to sound like he's going to be fighting in March. He's going to have close to a solid year of top tier professional coaching and training under his belt before he steps in the cage and he'll be facing a 1-0 or 0-0 guy. How many 0-0 or 1-0 guys are going to have the resources he has? The training team/coaches/camp that he'll have? How many will be able to devote their entire life to nothing but training and learning for the fight? Because that's what they're going to go up against in Punk. Would an extra 6 months of training help him? Absolutely, but I'm not going to fault the guy for taking some time to rehab his injuries and consider if he really wants to get in the cage or not.

Is he going to embarrass himself? Probably. But it'll be an interesting fight purely to see what kind of outing someone who has that much money/time/dedication can have vs. someone with a more legit fighting background and not as many resources.

Yeah, I get that, but again, dude is gonna be 37 next year and has far less experience than your typical MMA dude.

Most guys (I say this only because I don't have encyclopedic knowledge of every mixed martial artist) who are competing at the UFC level have competed in tournaments and competitions and have a lot more general experience of getting punched in the face or tossed into a guillotine. There's so much that he's going to have to learn and adjust and fix that I don't think "almost a year" is going to fix.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Someone please post the picture of a confused Nick Diaz talking to Paul Heyman

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Has former MMA fighter Hulk Hogan chimed in on this recent turn of events? As a pro-wrestling/MMA pioneer (he fought in Pride, you know!) I figure he'd have lots to say. :allears:

And no one has that picture of Nick Diaz and Heyman? Only one I could find through Google searches was a tiny-rear end thumbnail.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Spoiler: His opponent will not have seriously trained any martial art for any real length of time

I wanna be like "why on Earth would an athletic commission go for this?" and I know that the answer relies upon millions of dollars and :lol: athletic commissions :lol:

I just hope that Punk is healthy enough to play for the Ice Hogs after this stint in MMA ends. Punk on Ice has got a nice ring to it.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

One of the only smart things I've heard brendan Schaub say was he personally told CM Punk that he should have done a whole training camp in private and see how his body feels, then decide if he wants to fight in UFC.

The fact that he chose to do the big announcement and sign right away makes me think either he just wants the money or he truly believes he's ready, which is insane.

I still think he's just being an eccentric millionaire and this is a bucket list thing for him. Next up will probably be doing a duet with Lars Fredriksen and then signing a PTO for the Chicago Blackhawks.

Punk is basically living the life I would have killed to have lived when I was like 16, hahaha.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

1st AD posted:

Do you even train? If you’re as credible as you say you are, you can’t take the opinions of people on the Internet to heart, without talking to somebody who knows what they’re talking about — me included. I take jiu-jitsu three times a week. I know the difference between a kimura, an armbar, a reverse armbar and an Americana from side control, because I study it.

But what about ARM-bar or arm-BAR?

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

MotU posted:

punk is very brave for making his money elsewhere and getting his online bjj certificate

I think he only did open mats with Hener, not full on train there.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

You don't think Punk is brave? Let's see a youtube video of your rear end.

I don't have enough money to get WWE to sue me, so no youtube of my rear end.

I'm guessing, like someone else said, TUF for him or he fucks off to New Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

Memento posted:

He's said he can't stand wrestling, but as other people have said, if the limelight is off him long enough, who knows what he'll do. TUF would be perfect for him because he'll a) be on television and b) be about the right level of competition if it's a bunch of amateurs and 2-3 dudes in their 30s having one last crack at the big time.

He was asked about it in a recent interview. I'd imagine if he was still wanting to pad his bank account, he could get a decent payday with NJPW, while being able to enjoy the relative anonymity and poo poo, since he seems to hate his fans cherishes his privacy.

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/09/08/cm-punk-ufc-203-debut-interview-preview

• Locked thread