Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It also turned Sakuraba into a shambling corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
A mark is not a wrestling term.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Azithromycin is an antibiotic that usually comes in a pack of six thus Z-pak. It is used for all kinds of poo poo but is basically useless for MRSA.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Yuriy posted:

I guess I'm at a loss how any of those things except for the talking bits translate over to mma or him as a person

He has engendered goodwill with his fan base that isn't a difficult thing to understand.

He will create more goodwill when he fights anyone halfway decent and gets obliterated.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Yuriy posted:

i 100% agree because seeing nick break him in the cage mentally and physically would be the single funniest thing ive seen in mma

Seeing him crumble to a million body shots would be cool as gently caress.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Anderson Silva had to dope himself to the gills to prepare for that what is that straight edge guy going to do?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

NienNunb posted:

Does Don Frye still fight?

He fights and loses to the bottle every day.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

I don't really believe that's true and nothing that Dana's ever done has indicated that he would force a dude to fight injured if he could.

And considering his reactions to the whole TRT issue and then the UFC's decision to start their own random testing, I'm pretty sure both Dana and the Ferttitas are in favor of drug testing.

Also, the whole insurance thing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

2015 and people still making fun of people who don't want to do drugs or drink? wow

Yes, of course.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I bet that hypocrite takes Advil.

Edit: He'll need it.

Edit 2: Because he's gonna get punched a lot.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 24, 2015

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
More broadly it is an unsanctioned fight that was commonly held in a bar or a shady cellar somewhere. Think of the first fight in Rocky. The small time, local mma events are often called smokers as well.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Eat This Glob posted:

As everyone has mentioned, CM Punk is not fighting anyone who has a bunch of pro wins because no proper commission in the world (:laffo:) would sanction the fight, but for the sake of the pro wrestling posters, the people talking about him getting a title shot "because of the money" or whatever (joking or not), this is the current champion on the left:

This is his opponent after Lawler finished him

That's him spraying blood at the end of the round and stalking down an equally unemotional serial killer looking motherfucker. He's probably the last person in the UFC I'd want to be locked in a cage with (although they'd all kick my rear end, he's just a dude who is violence personified). I sure as poo poo don't want to see him fight Phil Brooks. Punk will fight a guy who's also making his UFC debut, or maybe has a fight in the promotion under his belt, imo.

That fight was insane on multiple, perhaps all, levels.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

1st AD posted:

The UFC has a health insurance policy for every fighter on the roster and cover claims while they're in training.

I don't remember, don't they have to have a fight scheduled for that to kick in?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

RacistGuidingLight posted:

hmm I was skeptical so I looked back briefly and nope it looks like it's mostly people joking about him getting killed on tv, or being paired up with a sack for a real bad fight that he might lose to anyway.

You don't read very well.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

Guy got herniated disc surgery four months ago. I don't get how people can make fun of Punk for that,

Because he said he was completely fine and looked forward to fighting Gall then the next day he was getting surgery on his back.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BGrifter posted:

So he gets to hang around in the gym all day, collect free healthcare and have fake fights with his buddies in front of a crowd of screaming people? I can't imagine he ever wants to actually fight, he must be having the time of his life. It's like kids space camp but for MMA-loving ex-pro wrestlers.

Getting hit in head for free is not fun.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's not good for your brain.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

manyak posted:

Anyway i dont know anything about CM punk but the fact that he decided to do a bizarre MMA fantasy camp instead of getting a real job or doing literally anything else means a) he probably doesnt need the money that badly and b) he probably thinks its fun

Then why hasn't he fought anyone?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That isn't what anyone means when they talk about fighters being old and injured. Except for hot brain.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

manyak posted:

It kinda does though, look how much people turned on Rousey after her 1 loss when she was the biggest star ever before that

I think the way she lost and her behavior after had more to do with it than actually losing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

I assure you that nobody who's been sparring at Duke Roufus' gym for over a year is new to blind, terrible aggression

That doesn't necessarily mean he'll have the tools to deal with it. Pretty Tony certainly doesn't have any besides winging looping punches.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Happy Happyist posted:

Alberto Del Rio fought in a modified lucha mask, so maybe!

Apples to oranges

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I like the belly wiggle.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
War Machine is up there.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
As far as I know he hasn't raped anyone nor killed anyone so he's still far behind Joe Son.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

oldpainless posted:

The best thing about CM Punk is his WWE documentary where almost everyone, including Punk and his friends, says that he's an rear end in a top hat and if you don't like him then that is your problem.

This reminds me of Dominick Cruz in a press conference saying something like "Even my friends think I'm a jerk." But Cruz is salty, smart, great at fighting and doesn't give a poo poo whose feelings he hurts so it's pretty endearing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

He said a lot of disrespectful and borderline racist things about these Brazilian and Mexican guys he was matched up with, he ducked one of the best wrestlers in the game, and when he finally lost a match he called his own rematch and refused to do any promos for it so he got pulled from the biggest ppv of the year

E: wait sorry that's the wrong one

Haha bravo

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

ninety posted:

Brock Lesnar will be heavyweight champion again and Phillip "CM Punk" Brooks will be victorious in his UFC debut. Scared?

I would like to see Miocic or Werdum push his poo poo in.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
A cross counter is a specific kind of counter punch that goes over the opponents jab though. Everything you are saying just makes it clear that you don't actually know what you're talking about

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

uncleKitchener posted:

Isn't a cross counter meant to go over another cross? I thought it applied to both. I do admit I haven't even persued any of this knowledge in a decade so I'm admittedly not sharp.

I have not. Teach me, Senpai!

If both fighters are orthodox a cross counter happens when fighter A throws a jab and fighter B throws a right hand over the jab, crossing their arms.

If you want to see examples of this watch Glover Texeira fights. It's one of his favorite punches. Roy Nelson also likes it.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fushin posted:

I train under a brown belt once a week because of time so unless I go to a school where I can test under one of the owners I'll be a white belt for life. He did the Gracie Online University and could have at least video tested for their online blue belt which would have counted for something.

No, those don't count for poo poo.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Isn't that what happened with Rich Franklin back in the day?

I remember him basically being a tribute to the withered husk of Ken Shamrock for their reality show, and then Rich Franklin beat Shamrock's rear end and got a title shot from it

Tito Ortiz coached against Shamrock and Franklin was middleweight champion at the time.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

dan henderson

with enough money for medical bills and coaches to work to minimize the impact of your physical limitations while emphasizing your strengths, you can be competitive with a 2-0 guy and if you can't, that's insanely embarrassing and not just for punk.

Dan Henderson is on steroids though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

This isn't meant to be any sort of insight to the fight but pro wrestlers (especially guys like Punk) tend to have ridiculous cardio, yeah. If I had to pick one thing for Punk to worry least about it would probably be his ability to not gas out if a fight went the distance.

I got a good laugh out of this, thanks.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Incredibly muscular men, such as John CENA and myself, always look awkward in suits.

Not if they're tailored.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Bluedeanie posted:

GSP, the living embodiment of the Greek ideal of beauty, never looked good in a suit due to the size of his shoulders in proportion to the rest of his body and he is nowhere near as big as guys like John Cena.

The Greeks had a different kind of beard though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

He's literally the top promoted fighter on the card. He's the first segment in every embedded. He was given a reality television show. I'm not making any claims that Punk's going to draw but UFC clearly thinks he's going to do more than the main and co-main.

Paige Van Zant gets lots of featured time as well do you think she's getting ppv points?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

RagingHematoma posted:

Is it typical to not shake someone's hand at the weigh in?

It isn't unusual but most guys do. Yves Edwards was the master of weigh in staredowns though.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Sage's camp wants the fight so it looks like UFC is trying to make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

SirDippingSauce posted:

is there something UFC-specific I'm missing out here?

Everyone in the UFC is way better than him because he loving sucks. Also, he probably gets paid way more than his (lack of) skill warrants.

• Locked thread