Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Dias posted:

If getting hosed in MMA hurt your stock Del Rio would never have made it to WWE.

You don't know that was Del Rio. That masked man could have been anyone. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's too bad he trained. A completely untrained Punk has the outside chance of just going in like an idiot and looking good for a while by mistake and sheer crazy, like Kimo did in days of yore. Being trained just made sure he lost in a conventional manner.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bubba Smith posted:

in case you aren't joking: if Punk had 0 training he would have been tapped in 20 seconds, or rather wouldn't have known how to tap and would have had some serious ligament injury within seconds.

His training is what let him survive as long as he did

Yeah, I know, Iv'e just been binging the first 20 lately. Sometimes I miss the crazy from the early days.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah, saw that and said "Hey nice spinebuster!" and knew exactly what was going on when the commentary instead called it something like a wrestling or ametuer style takedown.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Andy Dufresne posted:

My main takeaway from this is that Miz and Bryan actually get along backstage, because Bryan was the last guy to mimic a major UFC fight in ring. Or at least if they didn't before they probably do now.

That shows one of the few things that always kind of pulled me out of matches a bit. Where guys who know that they are missing a strike or a clothesline throw really high, often over the head of a fully erect standing opponent, even though the other guy is ducking the move.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

cams posted:

yeah he wants to avoid hitting his buddy in the face. it's the wrestler's job to minimize that sort of thing, but sometimes you fail.

also punk was much more acclaimed for his storytelling in the ring as opposed to his spectacular athleticism :v

Well yeah, but they are constantly throwing close strikes that are meant to look like they hit, the really high clotheslines and such make it look like they are trying to miss.

To be clear, I know they are trying to miss. In general, they don't want it to look that way.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

cams posted:

cm punk's run with the straight edge society is imo the best heel act the wwe has had since i don't even know.
cm punk is from chicago

It's too bad the SES pretty much got fed to the Big Show.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Maybe they take up the Green Power Ranger on his challenge this time?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Gaz2k21 posted:

JDF is a lifelong martial artist who's body has not been destroyed by years of pro wrestling he'd definitely have the upper hand.

I didn't realize until now that he actually has MMA experience. I thought he was just a karate guy, but wiki gives him a 4-0 amateur and 1-0 pro fight record, so yeah, you're right, not a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Both Dan Severn and Ken Shamrock went from Pro wrestler to shoot fighter. Early MMA, especially in Japan was very much entangled with pro wrestling.

Obviously doesn't really happen like that today outside of freaks like Lesnar, the skillset is way more specialized now and you aren't going to come in from someplace else and do well without it.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 30, 2017

• Locked thread