Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

First opponent confirmed: Chris Jericho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I didn't see this talked about or confirmed, but was the Punk signing what Dana was going to announce a few weeks ago when he had that press conference that ended up being "jk we're not announcing poo poo"?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Hey it takes a long time to hand-sew your Macho Man tribute fight shorts

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Viper_3000 posted:

If his fight career doesn't work out, he's going to make a killer commentator/analyst/host for any number of shows they produce because he's a huge MMA nerd.

It's not outside of the realm of possibility that he gets knocked so senseless that, combined with the brain injuries he already has, he ends up talking like Rocky in Rocky II.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

No he's right. Replace Mike Goldberg with Jesse Ventura

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

Could god crank a kimura so tight, even a Gracie would tap to it? makes u think

Your arms are too short to kimura god.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

With the incredulity with which Meltzer is talking about Punk revealing his (lack of) credentials and saying that he's setting the bar intentionally low, is there any possible way he's training in secret and is more skilled than he lets on? I may be but a mark but it seems so bizarre that someone with any sense would try this with so few credentials.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

david carmichael posted:

nope.

6+ months of full time training is more than reasonable for someone having their first fight, its just usually it would be an amateur fight. most guys wouldn't even have a real training camp for their first amateur fight, or even their first pro fight.

the questions are: will punk actually be training full time? how seriously will he take it? will he join an existing team or build a camp around him? how will his body hold up? how will his ego hold up? etc. etc. etc.

if he goes in and trains smart and full time under real coaches with real sparring partners he will have a large advantage over anyone else making their pro debut, unless they have a significant athletic (amateur mma, wrestling, bjj, boxing, etc.) background.

Point taken - I'm trying to look at this from UFC's perspective though. The criteria for this pontential opponent seems so specific that I can't see who they'd get. It needs to be someone with no skills and no record, but I'd think it'd also have to be someone that they could market if he beats Punk. I mean, the first fight is going to pop a buyrate no matter what, but how many cans do people want to see Punk go to a decision with, or how many times will people want to see Punk lose?

Then again Kimbo Slice is proof that a guy doesn't ever have to win or look even halfway competent to keep people watching so what do I know.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Detroit_Dogg posted:

It's like that thing with the marshmallow where you can have one now, or 2 in a minute, or 3 in 2 minutes or whatever. It might be nice to get that immediate boost but if you play it smart you can get a much bigger payoff down the road.

Or he gets waxed by some nobody who spent 2 years of middle school wrestling

A marshmallow is the best CM Punk analogy posted yet in this thread.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

If he wasn't in his late 60s, sure. Even with his years of training he'd be an old man with a full time acting schedule going into a fight with a guy 30 years young who will be coming off a full MMA training camp.

A full-time schedule of shooting for Modern Family is like 90 days/year (and it's hardly grueling stunt work or anything), and he doesn't do much else outside of that. I don't know if O'Neill would necessarily win a fight with Punk but he'd be more than competitive, especially with his size advantage. I don't think Punk has any method of getting a guy to the ground whatsoever, even if we want to allow that he could do something with his opponent once he gets there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe this doesn't count as 'significant background' but it's more than Punk has.

quote:

Mitrione also trained in Shotokan Karate, Kickboxing, and other combat sports as a teenager. Mitrione even competed in Toughman Contests while he was still in high school, and finished second in a tournament in his hometown of Springfield, during his sophomore year of college.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

freud mayweather posted:

I wish people would stop saying z-pack. Mainly because I have no idea what it is, and assume most of the people using it don't either.

In his shoot interview, Punk talked about how every injury he got in WWE, no matter how serious, he was prescribed nothing more than a Z-Pack (antibiotics) by their incompetent doctor when in fact he probably needed surgery or at least some kind of more serious medical treatment.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Yeah drat those docters, giving medicine to sick people

My name is Z-Pak and I'm here to say
I'm entirely inappropriate for MSRA

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lid posted:

CM Punk is going to hook up with Ronda Rousey and people will get very mad.

Why? When he cheats on her with Rose Namajunas you'll still get to see him get gloriously wrecked, except this time by a name fighter.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There's even a bad listicle (like there's another kind of listicle) about it! Though I think the Kelly Kelly thing is a bit of a stretch.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

uncleKitchener posted:

Sending a total rookie to a cage to get beaten isn't fun anyway.

Maybe not to them

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grifter posted:

Since this is basically the MMA/WWE crossover thread, I've got a question. Everything I read about Vince seems to indicate that he is an insane megalomaniac who is terrible to work for and makes all kinds of bad decisions that should damage his business. Why is the WWE so dominant then? Is it purely momentum from having the biggest brand?

Because that's the exact kind of personality it takes to manage and market a locker room of roided up rapists and drug addicts who are completely up their own asses to protect their spots on a fake fighting television drama.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grifter posted:

Are there good books I can read about the competition companies? They sound like trainwrecks by comparison.

WCW was their biggest competition and this is the most thorough read you can find on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Death-WCW-R-D-Reynolds/dp/1770411763

Their current TV competition in North America is a company called TNA, and they're detailed in that book as well (as long as you get the most recent edition).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WCW had Bob fuckin Sapp in developmental when they shuttered

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'd watch Punk on Hip Show, probably

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Punk would get injured trying to learn Mandarin

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Will Punk's fight or the Overeem fight go on last on the card, do you think?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bluedeanie posted:

It's the middle fight on the main card. There has only been like one time in history where a non title fight was main over a title fight.

Wikipedia lists fights in descending order they will appear, for example

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFC_203

Ah thanks, I didn't know that. I won't be able to watch the whole thing but will hopefully at least be able to see a man die.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Could Scott Coker beat CM Punk

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

Punk would take one look at Sage's masterfully sculpted thighs and tap instantly.

Heck, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I figured Riddle would either be a big star in a B-league or get a commentary/announcing gig. I don't think anyone predicted exactly how great he turned out to be at pro wrestling.

• Locked thread