Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Punk has way too much pride to come back to the WWE as a wrestler, and he also seems kinda over the whole "wrestling" thing, really. I wouldn't be surprised if 10, 15 years down the line he popped up for a quick paycheck as a Legend, but I don't think he'll ever work in-ring for them again. There's a reason he decided to get embarrassed live in front of hundreds of thousands instead of working the indie circuit for some drat good money. Maybe one day when his savings run dry he'll come back to wrestling, but nothing really points towards it right now.

Also I watched the series and the recent-ish sparring session he had and welp I'll miss the CM Punk, another tragic wrestling death. Dude's gonna eat it and I think he realizes it too, but again, too much pride to quit now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It really feels like he has a case of sadbrains in one form or another, soon to be substituted by a case of mashed brains. Basically why I don't wish the guy a terrible time, because him being an rear end in a top hat only seems to hurt him and I'd rather see that than assholes that hurt other people, which are plentiful in WWE and UFC. Plus it can give us moments of entertainment like him getting knocked out in 30s by Mickey Gall.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fire Barrel posted:

Is it safe to assume, then, that this is why so many people seem to despise Punk and want to see him get stomped into bits in his UFC debut? Cause the guy has crazy vitriol being flung his way.

Yes. It's half WWE fans that got burned on the guy leaving and his personality, half MMA fans that are pissed a complete newbie is getting an UFC contract based on fake fighting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've also watched anime

More of a fighting game thing, as is "counter-hit", although I feel it's anal as gently caress to call someone out for the latter.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

What's the over/under that cm punk misses weight

Right now it's over 30lbs, according to rumors.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

Mickey Gall sucks and I hope he gets million dollar babby'd

No need to call CM Punk names.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
http://uproxx.com/mma/pimp-slap-knockout-mma/

Hey, we got a preview of Gall's KOTN already!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Assume that all my posts are prefaced with "all I know about combat sports is poo poo I picked up from watching the occasional UFC event", but Punk doesn't look like he has to cut a LOT to my casual-rear end eyes. It's probably a bad idea to do it for the first time in your UFC debut without any special guidance tho, even if you need to cut 10lbs.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

EugeneJ posted:

When Punk gets knocked out does he come crawling back to wrestling, or does he sulk for the rest of his life like Ronda

I dunno why people assume Punk is doing this poo poo because he NEEDS it as in so much as he's ticking off an item from his bucket list that he got UFC to pay him for. If he loses, he goes back to watching hockey, training BJJ and writing comics. :shrug:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

TheHock posted:

Mostly because he seems like he's so full of himself that he NEEDS to be doing something at a high level at all times or he'd go nuts. I've always gotten the impression that he's never going to be wholly satisfied with just chilling out and retiring on his mountain of cash. Once this disaster falls apart, he'll be right on to something else. I'm guessing it won't ever be wrestling again, but I could see him trying to get into acting or TV work. Something to keep him from sitting still.

I can see that, but on the other hand I feel like anything he does from now on is for his own satisfaction so the whole "punk's gonna break down and crawl back to wrestling after losing" thing doesn't make sense to me. He has some other poo poo going on and as you pointed out, he could do acting or commentary if he wanted to - hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he was angling for that eventually.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dromal phrenia posted:

John Cena exclusively wears hand-me-down suits donated by The Big Show so he always looks bad, but other wrestlers have looked good in theirs

I just wanted to post a picture of Finn Balor, nevermind me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Bluedeanie posted:

If there's one thing universally true about rich arrogant guys, it's that they never want more money like they're gunning for some fiscal high score and they're always perfectly happy with getting paid the bottom of a pay scale

Punk's probably getting a decent payday but I also don't think he's that kind of arrogant, hehe. It's definitely not 10k/10k tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Gaz2k21 posted:

I watched the footage of the Weigh-in's punk looks in pretty decent shape and didn't look like he was massively dehydrated in my opinion of course other more experienced eyes may say different.
He's always got a puncher's chance at scoring a win I guess (despite the horrid sparring footage I've seen) so hopefully he at least puts up a decent performance.

He looked alright to me too. Kinda felt like he didn't have to cut A LOT from his recent footage, dude just seems the type that complains a lot as an acceptance device (I can relate).

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RagingHematoma posted:

Is it typical to not shake someone's hand at the weigh in?

It can be replaced by a kiss sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo2oMBADrOE&t=280s

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Punk's hard-headed and not really doing poo poo for money, he ain't going back to wrestling anytime soon. Hell, I think despite a big loss tonight he might try his hand at MMA again even.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think the best result out of this fight would be Gall getting popped in the drug test.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

EugeneJ posted:

He could have been a top guy in Japan or Mexico easy

Not sure if today hurt his stock badly in the wrestling world

If getting hosed in MMA hurt your stock Del Rio would never have made it to WWE.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

EugeneJ posted:

...Del Rio was 9-5 in MMA

Oh, he really was, I went for him instead of Nakamura exacty because all I remembered was him masked eating a roundhouse kick from Crocop.

alternatively it was all a work

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baron Corbyn posted:

Nakamura was 3-1-1.

Yeah that's why I went for Del Rio, I remember he did okay.

oatgan posted:

does he have a win over a single respectable fighter

worst case scenario he did as well as punk did really

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Again, to be fair, Punk only took the UFC deal because they gave it to him. I wouldn't be surprised if he went for it anyway at an amateur level, seeing that prior to this whole debacle he talked about trying MMA out after being done with wrestling. Maybe he was delusional thinking he could hang with the big names, but I don't think he REALLY felt like he had a shot, maybe he'd catch Gall with a lucky punch but from his interviews he felt like an underdog.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

twitter and bisted posted:

Welp, there's no gainsaying the (what I felt to be) prefight Wrestlehut/Punchsport Pagoda/Rowdy Ringsports consensus of "Punk deserves credit for trying but is going to get his rear end handed to him" but I feel that the true winner of the night is being overlooked and that is Bluedeanie, whose GDT OP is the best post of 2016 so far.

That wasn't even top 3 Bluedeanie OPs tho.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The Sphinxster posted:

The take away is that Living Color song is the poo poo

Cult of Personality is dope.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

RBX posted:

Wrestling fans don't care about the Punk UFC money grab. They just want him back. UFC fans have been way more mad. It really doesn't matter if he won or lost because he's Norma real fighter anyway. I'd die laughing if he actually won but still.

Who's Norma?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Wrong song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xxgRUyzgs0

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
To be fair you weren't wrong, I wouldn't put that past UFC. It's just the "getting some wins" part that would never ever happen.

I'm happy Punk got out of WWE and realized his life-long dream of getting punched in the face on purpose instead of by accident.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Skip My Posts posted:

yeah i also wouldnt put it past the ufc to give a title shot to a guy who won all his fights

I'm glad you proved to be smart, my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

chaleski posted:

To be fair, I'm certain that if Punk went to Japan to fight he'd get thrown into some freakshow title fight immediately

Oh man, we were a decade too late to see Punk get his head kicked in by Crocop.

Actually, I think we could set that one up regardless.

• Locked thread