Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So CM Punk is either gonna be fed nobodies so UFC can use his name as much as possible or he's going to get loving demolished, right? Like...he's not in a good way as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box posted:

i really love the idea of a wrestler attempting to get their spots in in a legit fight

"So Jon, I'm gonna get up on the corner and ow dude stop being so stiff oh god no"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheKingslayer posted:

Am I a monster for thinking an MMA elimination chamber would be cool as hell?

It strikes me that as soon as the third guy comes out it stops being a fight and more a mini riot.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not really an MMA guy but wasn't there a bunch of MMA fans throwing hissyfits when Brock was champion?

I think their main issue was, if I remember right, he was pushed right to the front of the line, which is a valid thing to think is bullshit. Punk is, at the lest, working his way up, so I really doubt people will care if he actually works his way up.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DeathChicken posted:

It probably would have served Brock a lot better if he hadn't been pushed right to the top of the line. It really says a lot for him that he *still* managed to do as well as he did while basically fighting top-ish guys and learning as he went. Dude's a freak.

Yea it was a lovely move from a political perspective but can't say he didn't prove he was at that level at least.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gonzo McFee posted:

Again not much of a MMA guy, but from watching his fights his style was "Be a gigantic freak of nature, sit on my opponents and hit them until they stop moving" yes?

More or less his style was 'I'm a big monster' yea. Like, I'm sure a way bigger MMA fan than me (not hard at all to be) can breakdown exactly what made his stuff work but his strat of 'be a big man who crushes people' worked fairly well!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dangersim posted:

He was a freak athlete who was a good wrestler and picked poo poo up fast but he didn't react well to getting hit.

Nifty. I know this is exactly what the plan was but this kinda probably could push me from 'casual fan who only watches fights when his buddies buy them and tell him they're going to be good' to someone who actually watches UFC somewhat often. I guess it helps that I care about more things than CM Punk being in it, though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JohnsonsJohnson posted:

Most UFC rookies have extensive ametuer and semi-pro records unless they were super elite in another combat sport like wrestling or BJJ.

I think this is what is making me not have any faith in Punk being anything but a name draw. In wrestling there are lots of dudes getting plucked from nothing to enter the bottom level/training stuff and work out, but in UFC even the rando dudes who make even the super fans go 'who?' have a strong background in some level of 'he beat up people pretty good'. Punk is literally coming from 'some experience' and a sport where the entire point is to make things LOOK bad but be safe to a thing where had injury is a goal. Even if he wasn't getting broken down I'd not have high hopes for him, but coming off so many head injuries and other things he's just gonna get fed nothing or someone who legitimately is a title contender in whatever his weight class is is going to beat the poo poo out of him.

Like, to be clear I don't think he's going to enter the ring and someone's just gonna punch his loving jaw off, but I don't think he's going to get very far unless White's goal is to just put "AND CM PUNK" on the posters as much as he can.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

FullLeatherJacket posted:

considering brock lesnar's debut drew ridiculously large numbers despite him having not been in a WWE ring for three years, having the charisma of a bag of apples, and being booed out of his final match, I don't think Dana White will really give a poo poo as long as they can promote having a guy who got 1m+ views for a two-hour podcast doing Ryback impressions and bitching about how he didn't like his job

I don't think anyone's doubting that any match with Punk in it is going to sell like hotcakes. I just think it's a little lovely that after spending how many years bitching about being a commodity he's signing on to literally just be a name on a poster.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Sadly we'll never see another Lesnar level marketing strategy.

"Hey you gonna buy the UFC fight coming up?"

"Uh, yea, the shaved bear that walks among us as a man is gonna be in it."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Snap into a Slim Jim!

*picture of Punk's arm breaking after being in an actual submission hold*

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The entire Zack Ryder/Cena/Kane plotline was basically Man's Inhumanity to Man, and chokeslams.

Mostly chokeslams.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yuriy posted:

This isn't a goddamn joke

Are you sure, because this sounds like a very funny joke

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Skinty McEdger posted:

It's got to hurt some people to know that he seemingly enjoys getting the poo poo kicked out of them more than the thought of wrestling for them ever again.

I love it and hope he remains the UFC's punching bag for a while. He apparently likes it and it's funny to watch a real life Glass Joe.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RagingHematoma posted:

He says he is going to continue his journey. Why would the UFC allow this to continue at this point? There is really nowhere for him to go from here.

Because he sells tickets and if he wasn't lying in his little after match speech he seems to enjoy being paid well to get really beaten up in hilarious ways? I mean, surely there must be someone in his weight who needs to be fed a win.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Marching Powder posted:

He was 100% in over his head and was still less embarrassing than Chris avila

Yea there is a difference between 'hilariously outmatched' and 'shameful'. He got his rear end beat and it was funny but at least he backed his poo poo up and, for all the good it did, tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Do it ironically posted:

really? really? do people actually think this? gently caress me punk marks will do anything in their mind to get him over, is it because of AJ Lee? he absolutely embarrassed himself after two loving years and money no option in training to get destroyed, and people like you are actually commending this? at the very least he's taking someone's spot who can actually fight and make some money for themselves

lmao gently caress me wwe fandom know no end

I have no clue how you think me mainly saying how funny it was he got wrecked was some weepy mark meltdown just because I also said "but hey point for backing all his talk up and trying at least". Like, I'm just giving the guy the literal bare minimum of "at least he showed up and just got a normal mma style hilarious beat down rather than some insane self destruct thing".

He lost like tons of other guys wanting to start their UFC career but super aren't ready to would. It was funny because of all the outside context but I doubt it'll be remembered beyond another brick in the "people assuming past athletic experiences would carry over to mma and finding it super doesn't" wall.

• Locked thread