Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

cams posted:

The level to which people think Punk has no idea how to fight another human being is pretty funny.

Like that time Ryback kicked him and his ribs broke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

that's what makes this funny you killjoy

I watch both and don't give a gently caress as long as whatever happens is funny

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It'll be more legit than Mickey Rourke's opponent

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Skinty McEdger posted:

Counterpoint. The WWE's case rests upon a 5 minute conspiracy video they made of slow zoom ins on Punks rear end.

In an effort to show the lump on Punk's rear end wasn't literally baseball-sized like Punk figuratively said.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I too think 4 posts in a thread that is 49 pages is out of control

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yuriy posted:

Man, gently caress CM Punk in UFC, Alberto Del Rio is apparently going to be fighting for Glory and that's a billion times cooler

Potentially against Goldberg hahahahah

This isn't a goddamn joke

I love this year

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

2015 and people still making fun of people who don't want to do drugs or drink? wow

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Detroit_Dogg posted:

get tattoos of the pepsi logo? wow

That part deserves to be made fun of though

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

2015 and people still taking every post seriously? wow

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Viper_3000 posted:

Rogan had dick for experience and from what I can tell Punk is as much of a superfan as he was back in the day. Plus he did a decent run as a commentator in WWE when he had hip problems, so he already knows the ins and outs of how a broadcast is run. I'd put way more money on him making it as a commentator or broadcaster than as a fighter.

Pretty much, although I'd put 0 money on him making it as a fighter even though I'm optimistic he could beat an actual bum.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He was thinking it'd generate even a little bit of extra money and a decent amount of people talking about it

So far they exceeded expectations with the latter

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

our savior :swoon:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

lmao

quote:

When Jackson first got a call from Legacy matchmaker Collin Cantrell recently, he was really confused. Cantrell was talking about Gall and Legacy and a fight in early February. Jackson wasn't really sure where he fit in.

"In my head I'm thinking, 'Y'all gonna fly me to Minnesota to come take pictures of Mickey Gall?'" Jackson said.

No, Cantrell explained to Jackson. We want you to fight Gall, the matchmaker told him.

"I was like, 'Fight who?'" Jackson said. "He's like, 'If you fight Mickey Gall, you get CM Punk.' That's how they're hyping this up to me. I was like, 'This makes no sense. What are you talking about?'"

quote:

"To me, this is a big troll," Jackson said. "This is a massive troll by everyone involved here."

"You have CM Punk, who has no MMA experience, fighting. You got this kid Mickey Gall, who literally wins one fight -- he's fighting in some small town in Jersey that Dana White happened to be at and was like, 'I want to fight CM Punk.' And he gets signed by the UFC. And then you got me. All my experience is in boxing and kickboxing. Now I'm in the UFC. It's like, 'What the gently caress is going on here?'"

quote:

"Literally a week after I got back in the gym, they were like, 'Hey, do you want to fight in the UFC?'" Jackson said. "I was like, 'What the gently caress?'"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

Homosexuality is cool and good.

:agreed:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Okay I'm starting to side with the people who think he's never going to fight

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Food Court Druid posted:

Those tests would take out half the UFC roster

So only 250 people would still be able to compete? wow

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Skip My Posts posted:

obtuse retard

Oh wow you're right I was off. It would be 304

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/Weight_Class

quote:

Results 1-20 of 608

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I've always liked Bisping, but nearly 7 full years later that's still one of my favorite UFC moments

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

So what else had stuff like this happen?

When MMA was just starting to get big in Japan, New Japan (under Inoki's advisement) had crossovers between MMA and wrestling. Inoki thought some big up-and-coming names in their company would be bigger if they were also good at MMA, so they had fights, both arranged by the company on their shows and elsewhere.

The most famous example was Yuji Nagata. 2001, he was in the perfect position to be their star. Everything they wanted. Everything Inoki wanted. About to be New Japan champ. And he wanted to show his prize to the world.

So he did a special event (Bom-Be-Ye). Nagata, with no legit experience to speak of, Inoki thought was capable of beating Cro Cop, who was in his prime.

Needless to say, quick and embarrassing, and the company responded by instead giving their belt to a former sumo wrestler (Tadao Yusuda) who submitted a K-1 guy (Jerome Le Banner) on the same show.

It happened to at least a couple other people, but wasn't as embarrassing (off the top of my head, Nakamura lost his MMA debut to a Gracie but won 2 or 3 more fights after, and Sasaki did alright)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

Josh Barnett said Nakamura had one of the quickest double legs he's ever seen. I wrote about Shinsuke's MMA career here

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/before-the-swag-chronicling-shinsuke-nakamuras-mma-history/

Also if you want to feel super sad, watch Alexey Ignashov vs Dr Death

Because why not put a wrestler vs a really good kickboxer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS7V5KJoF1c

wow

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

It looks doubtful. Meltzer said recently that he's not progressing well at all. That he's no longer talking to the media and there's still no date just about halfway through the year (and so close to their biggest event) is damning. I'd give it a few more months; if there's still no date announced by then, the "he's never fighting" crew are right.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/CMPunk/status/733707331767275520

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They're apparently filming stuff with Gall now for a special, so I have to imagine a fight date announcement is coming soonish.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Captain Log posted:

At first I thought, "Good for Punk, get your rear end kicked, mark something off the bucket list, good for you man."

Now after two years of having the best training money can buy and him STILL not having a date set I want to see him get loving wrecked.

I'm waiting until after UFC 200 to be safe, if that ends and there's still no date then I'll be fully onboard with this

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bluedeanie posted:

To fully appreciate the time capsule of tragedy this thread has become, this post was from the first page and I don't think MassRafTer or anyone else could have possibly predicted the dire consequences of ironically demanding Kimbo return to fighting at that time.

For those unaware:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I thought he only technically physically died once

Unless that embarrassment of a fight was a second, metaphorical death

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm fine with Punk, these people I'm fans of often may be egotastic dicks to some degree irl who knows, he's entertaining. I definitely sided with him on the WWE stuff, his podcast with Cabana was really good. (by sided I mean he sounds in the right, I still buy WWE network etc)

Yeah, I still like Punk. Just less so this fighting experiment that progressively seems like it's not going to happen

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kimbo has knee arthritis and was still able to put on the fight of the year mentioned earlier

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

RZApublican posted:

I would give anything to read that live journal.

http://cmpunk.livejournal.com/11306.html

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DannoMack posted:

You didn't ask him to give anything you dunderhead

Entertainment should be free. We didn't have to pay for Kimbo/Dada after all

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

With how quickly he made an announcement both with them and with Marvel, I'd find it hard to believe he didn't have previous talks with them while in the company. Too quickly timed and random to reach otherwise if there hadn't been mutual interest for some time

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I miss that article Seanbaby did for Cracked about the history of goony goobers telling hilarious lies about their mostly fictitious MMA careers. I presume it got pulled for legal reasons, but you can still find textdumps of it kicking about.

Yeah, it's no longer on the official site but the full text is http://www.bullshido.net/forums/archive/index.php/t-95216.html

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's good when cops get owned.

Agreed. Which is why that lie about doing something brave is even more shameful than just an ordinary lie

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

I heard they're making a kaiju movie where Kota Ibushi is made giant to beat up a monster?

Kota Ibushi and Minoru Suzuki

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

DDT making it

https://twitter.com/SenorLARIATO/status/736115652172369924

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Meltzer says Punk's fight is happening in August or September

Brock is officially coming back AND fighting before Punk :lol:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gall's already having stuff filmed