Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

cams posted:

everybody should watch this whole shoot its great i've watched it like 30 times over the past decade

When the signing was announced I immediately thought of Punk trying to pick a fight between Chuck and Joe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Log posted:

Tonight, while closing down the restaurant I manage, two regulars were at the bar who know me as the guy who got his rear end handed to him in a tiny white belt Jiu Jitsu tournament recently. Some of the guys from the gym come in and MMA, jiu jitsu, and pro wrestling get discussed every now and then. Tonight these two regulars said some interesting things that I found interesting -

CM Punk fighting means they will sure as hell watch the card when it happens. They were pumped for it and even had a bit of a grasp that CM Punk might not be great. But, they all thought he was an elite grappler blackbelt. Really. A blackbelt.

They think Brock Lesnar is coming back to MMA when his contract is up because "he is in fighting shape now" and has "been in some real hard matches getting worked hard with shots to the face." I don't really know what the gently caress any of this means. I'd like to see Brock Lesnar come back if he actually joins a gym that he doesn't hand pick himself and set up. He needs to learn how to get hit in the face.

I still think this is the dumbest view of Brock and based mostly on "got knocked silly by two of the hardest hitting heavyweights" and Bas Rutten making way too much about a training partner not wanting to give details about a training camp. The dude reacted better than anyone else reacted to getting hit by Shane Carwin, he didn't go unconscious.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dangersim posted:

When Carwin caught Brock he covered up and backpedaled into the fence, against Cain he started cowering when Cain started landing. Against Overeem he straight up doubled over at the waist when in trouble. Brock not reacting well to getting hit is a real, observable thing.

Shane Carwin and Cain hit really god drat hard. Overeem kicked him in his weakest point and in general liver shots hurt like hell. What was he going to do against Carwin, stand there and inform him that he'd like another? Everyone else went dead when Carwin hit them, Brock actually survived. Cain is a crazy killing machine who looks to have broken JDS forever. These aren't signs of weakness they are signs of being a heavyweight fighter. He dealt with it fine when Randy and Mir hit him in the face indicating it is more of a "doesn't like getting hit with knockout blows." I don't think anyone does.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dangersim posted:

Shelling up and running away essentially is asking for another. He should have tied up or shot, literally anything other then what he did. Carwin caught JDS with a shot that left JDS not knowing where he was, but he kept his composure and didn't panic.

With Overeem I'm not talking about the final liver kick, yeah there was nothing he could do about that. There are 2 occasions where Overeem gets him with good knees and Brock again just shells up and lets Reem get hard punches off.

He did try to shoot after Carwin hurt him, this led to Carwin hurting him more. In the Overeem fight I thought he reacted like a lot of inferior strikers would against him, especially someone who was planning to retire after the fight. Even there I think he tried a really lovely takedown. His heart clearly wasn't in it based on everything we know about that fight. That's probably a sign he shouldn't come back to fight but the dude likes money and maybe he's convinced himself his guts are better now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

uncleKitchener posted:

He still has a job, so what is this case for outside of saving face.

He's someone who is used to getting top gigs in the sports world, it would be hard for him to get a new position with accusations of malpractice hanging around. If you were accused of nearly killing a guy and pressuring him to work through concussions would you sue him if you thought it was a lie?

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah Dave Meltzer talked about this. Basically they've been beaten at their own game and they've not reacted well to it, so because they're not allowed to do anything directly with Punk they're fully supporting the doctor instead. It's pretty much why Colt Cabana has been included in it. It's a petty move. If Punk gave that interview to a newspaper would they sue the newspaper? No, they're just doing it because he's Punk's friend and they know it'll cause a headache since one of them has a lot of money and one of them doesn't.

They would probably include the newspaper in the suit depending on the newspapers actions following the interview.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

He has to because his collection of Judge t-shirts is carefully stored away.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Who Gotch Ya posted:

He's going to fight "The Nudge" and win via TKO (Lat punches)?

They probably kept giving him z-packs because Punk looks like he has an STD.

Also see: Eric Bischoff

Bischoff was so fun to play as but you only wanted to play as him in the dark where no one could possibly see it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Memento posted:

Well he doesn't do drugs or drink, which are the usual ways wrestlers are dumb with their money. And grappling (metamoris etc) would be a much better idea than trying to get a vanity MMA run, because he's had about a bajillion concussions.

The usual way main eventers are dumb with money is through alimony. Unfortunately for Bryan he has a lot of training in that from his time at Extreme Couture. Fortunately for Bryan WWE has his back and doesn't think he's a main eventer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I was going to make a joke about how his previous boxing experience was helping Pac get knocked out but what's the point.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bradzilla posted:

Are there any actual booked fights for CM Punk yet

No, they won't even talk about opponents until summer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Could you imagine.

How hosed up he had to be to fail that medical when Kimbo who apparently had no knees got on?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chokes McGee posted:

Counterpoint: A guy coming up from NXT was told repeatedly, "Whatever you do, don't talk to Vince."

Seeing Vince in the hallway, his wrestler's training kicked in and he introduced himself for a handshake. (This is absolutely required of workers, it shows respect and enforces you can trust them with your safety in the ring.)

He was fired the next day.

And this person was? I've never heard that and it sounds like the New Jack story with names removed and NXT added.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Good to see she saw what she was missing in Jay Lethal.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Maybe CM Punk the guy who likes loving with people married someone who likes loving with people and they are loving with people while loving because Punk was backstage at Raw and he's gonna face Brock at Mania.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DannoMack posted:

lol that guy also fought someone named Michael Jackson. Is there a weird celebrity impersonator amateur mma scene and can someone link me to the vice article on it?

George Bush III was a fun name a few years ago.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm guessing Michael Jackson wouldn't fight him because no athletic commission worth its salt would sanction a fight between a guy with zero fights and a guy with 22 fights.

They most likely want Punk debuting at UFC 200 in Vegas and that is not a fight the NAC would sanction.

They would.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't know how much John Cena is worth, but still, tell that to John Cena.

Cena only likes clothes that match his cars, he has no time for suits.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ty1990 posted:

Putting him on UFC 200 doesn't make much sense to me. That card kinda sells itself and it's not like he needs the exposure. Let him heal up and fight at UFC 201 with Bones/Rumble and that'll help pop a nice buy rate then.

This is all assuming he's even planning on fighting at all.

Right now all they have for UFC 200 is hoping that Conor wins quickly in March so he can fight on UFC 200.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ty1990 posted:

Gotta think they're targeting that show for Robbie/Condit II or Robbie/Wonderboy as well.

That's a 300,000 buy fight on its own. UFC 100 had Brock/Mir, GSP/Alves and The Greatest Punch in History. If Conor is good to go that's a fine #2. If he's not, they have nothing huge for that show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It's also worth noting that this was after he shattered his ankle in a car accident and was practically unable to wrestle on a permanent basis.

And that his plan was to just leverage the angle into being paid "Lex Luger money" by WCW and wanted to just use the WWF to raise his price. The WWF was the only one offering guaranteed money after the accident so he went with them.

Then felt so guilty about signing a contract he couldn't live up to in the ring that he wrestled well before he should have and hosed himself up worse.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Being friends with Austin probably helped him get that WWF gig, since by '96 Austin was getting bigger by the week.

It was JR that actually helped. Pillman went up to Vince at a convention and Vince didn't want to deal with him since he thought he was a psychopath until JR convinced him it was all a work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

1st AD posted:

After Guardians of the Galaxy I'm sure he has no incentive to go back to pro wrestling or MMA (did he even do any real training?)

He basically subsidized a gym and did a real camp with Bonnar for his fight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I believed Michael Bisping when he said he was Strikeforce MW champion.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The John Cena meme, much like himself, is third-rate

He's the best wrestler in the world.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Well, there was the time WWE tried to haze a bunch of rookies on television by putting them in shoot grappling matches with Kurt Angle (who has a legit Olympic gold in freestyle wrestling). Unfortunately, what they don't teach you in freestyle wrestling is how to defend a kimura, and one of the young guys was a trained MMA guy (which WWE knew and promoted up front before deciding that this would be a good idea). Fortunately for Angle, the ref counted a very quick pin count to get him out of there, because god only knows that you're going to get a Gracie to tap before he does, and WWE were about ten seconds away from having one of their top guys on the shelf for three months because you thought it'd be super funny to do a stupid segment that nobody watched or cared about.

Later on Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Bob Holly pretty much beat the poo poo out of the dude on pay-per-view for having the temerity to defend himself in a fight he didn't ask for, and so the integrity and honor of professional wrestling was duly restored.

Puder wanted that fight. He tanked the challenges they set up for them earlier as he had an idea what was coming (that WWE wanted to tire them out before they got to Angle.) It doesn't excuse the petty bullshit in the Rumble but he definitely wanted to get in there with Angle.

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was also nearly a financial disaster for Vince Sr., who promoted it in New York with a closed-circuit broadcast in Shea Stadium. Problem was nobody in America knew who Inoki was so tickets weren't selling like he thought. Everyone went to see the André the Giant match that he put on as the semi-main.

What saved it was Bruno agreeing to wrestle Hansen while recovering from a broken neck.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 19, 2016

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fozzy The Bear posted:

The OP was posted Dec 6, 2014

And yet people expect CM Punk to become a UFC ready fighter in 18 months. Shame on all of you, some people train a lifetime and don't even become that good. Punk's coming along very quickly!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You just know Gabe went up to Punk after that and thanked him for being such a good locker room leader and making ROH what it had become.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Heavy Metal posted:

I just found it of note that it seemed everybody was saying Punk is old but not Brock. Granted Brock has a lot more going for him, just seemed like an observation to make. If it helps, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

While I'm defending Punk for no real reason, I find it odd people keep saying "he's of course not at all a naturally gifted athlete". Seen a few posts saying something like that. I mean, I think doing a springboard move where you jump, balance on the top rope, then catapult your body flying through the air and stuff, that's athletic. And having cardio to last for 30 minutes picking up huge people etc. Just saying.

Brock is in fact old. People are assuming he will lose to Mark Hunt (who is older, but his skill set ages better.) Brock is older than average in an old division.

Punk is much older than average in a younger, more talented division. Wrestling may be athletic, but Punk was never the smoothest, most coordinated wrestler. He has no athletic background in combat sports to speak of. Punk also wasn't really a cardio machine and let's not pretend he was a power wrestler who actually picked people up.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

manyak posted:

Its not even that hes super old, theres a bunch of fighters at WW that are in their mid 30's including the champ, and MMA has a lot of older athletes compared to other sports, its that hes old to be just starting to train now. Dont worry old guy in the thread you arent that old

He needs to embrace that he's old and going to die soon. I know I have.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I don't know, I watched Robbie Lawler and Carlos Condit go to a razor tight decision and as soon as I heard Robbie won I immediately realised Condit is a terrible fighter and was never good.

Carlos realized it too and almost retired. Steph knows her poo poo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BGrifter posted:

I dunno, he goes to the gym to the MMA equivalent of astronaut camp every day then heads home to his hot wife to sit on a throne made of money and write comic books for Marvel. Oh and he's a Cubs fan in 2016.

I'm guessing he's a pretty happy guy.

He's one Cubs fan who won't have to wait until October for his dreams to be crushed.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
CM Punk didn't like CHIKARA proving CM Punk is good and smart.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Guy about to make his UFC/MMA debut after immersing himself in MMA training for almost 2 years has no idea how MMA is actually scored. Seems about right.

At least you agree that Condit won all 5 rounds from Diaz.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JOHN CENA posted:

She is under contract to WWE essentially forever. By retiring, her contract is currently frozen.

That's not how it works. Contract do not extend in perpetuity if someone retires.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chokes McGee posted:

If that's the case, I would be shocked if AJ ever went back, even if Punk did. She was one of their best workers/personalities and got treated like garbage. The WWE is a hellhole to work in but especially so for female talent.

In what world was AJ Lee one of their best workers. She was one of the better women during a dark age for women's wrestling in WWE, but her in ring results don't put her even at the top of that list.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Foul Fowl posted:

how is bisping worse than a guy who tried to rape and murder his girlfriend

It all rests on if he beats Hendo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

He does have good stories about spotting Tito Ortiz at a nightclub and trying to goad a blackout drunk Samoa Joe into fighting him. Even more hilarious considering he's basically done the same thing to himself but on a grander stage and completely sober.

It was Chuck.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Noted pro wrestling Twitterer now has sources in Roufus Sport. Sure.

Why is this at all surprising? Mike Coughlin used all his willpower not to spill the beans of Faber's strategy after he trained with them, it's not an airtight camp.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Taintrunner posted:

So wait, CM Punk is going on some silly reality show, and he also might end up getting wrecked again in the UFC?

drat, what a letdown his post-WWE career has been.

It's way better than the alternative, him sitting on his couch and doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It seems weird for a wrestler to transition to MMA because, in a weird way, they are total opposites. Like it would make more sense for a pro wrestler to go into something like competitive dancing or some kind of Cirque type of deal. Because at it's core when you're wrestling you're supposed to be protecting the other guy in the ring (obviously this is not how it always works, but still) all your trained movements, strikes and routines are built around dealing as little possible damage to your "enemy" and using your own body in many cases to break their falls or take the brunt of the force from various "destructive" moves. It seems like if you had decades of training on how to get into a ring and fake punch someone it might get in the way of actually punching them, especially if you do those kinds of things as a gut reaction (I'm always impressed when wrestlers who obviously get concussed are still able to throw worked punches and do worked spots and it happens kinda frequently too). It seems like there would be more crossover skill with a thing like Dancing with the Stars.

Honestly the best bet I think for him to make money is he should team up with some organization and do a kind of straight edge tough love reality TV detox show thing, where, like, Punk, Dr Drew and Andrew WK help people kick addictions and live clean. That seems like a concept that could run for 5-6 seasons on TruTV or whatever and make everyone involved modest second house money.

It makes perfect sense because for generations pro wrestlers were actual tough guys, some could beat the top boxers in a fight because of their ground skills. Thus, many wrestlers had chips on their shoulders. They could fight, but the only real way to make money with their skillset was to fake fight. That has greatly declined in the last 40 years, but the mentality that you should be a legit tough guy won't go away completely. It's natural a guy paid to be a fake tough guy might wonder what would have happened if he went into real fights instead.

dont even fink about it posted:

It's basically a cross between tumbling, action choreography, and acting.

Most wrestlers fancy themselves as legitimately tough and know that UFC is getting bigger, while wrestling is stagnant, and felt like it was shrinking a couple of years ago before NXT finally took off as a thing people really wanted to watch.

The audience is still shrinking and NXT doesn't exactly have a huge audience.

• Locked thread