Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/11991124/cm-punk-joins-ufc-fight-2015

Article on the front page of ESPN, this is definitely getting legit publicity from mainstream sources

Lloyd Boner posted:

Sign Del Rio, start WWEight division

Punk vs Nakamura in a shootfight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

There are only two wrestler/MMA crossover dudes who aren't infuriating garbage and one can't eat a salad and the other is currently playing a draft while listening to Bolt Thrower

Curious, what's your issue with Sakuraba?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Link to the Helwani/Punk interview if you missed it like I did.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/7/7347369/cm-punk-discusses-why-he-decided-to-sign-with-the-ufc-mma-debut

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/bisping/status/541436522730242049

quote:

michaelVerified account ‏@bisping

I see @cmpunk wants to kick rear end, well he can kiss my rear end! Welcome to the Ufc, let's do this! @ufc @danawhite

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yuriy posted:

Well, maybe they should have taken the money they're spending on a guy who has never fought before and has no skill set to speak of and use it to pay Ben enough to get him to come to the UFC instead of beating up asians for six figure paydays

I know you've hated Punk for years and it's fair to dislike the fact that a beat up pro wrestler with no legit background is getting a shot over dudes with far better credentials due to name value.

You know drat well why this is happening though, this has already gotten publicity from plenty of mainstream news sources and Lesnar has shown that a popular WWE guy will draw fans who otherwise wouldn't purchase a show.

Yes, Lesnar obviously had infinitely more potential to be a top level guy due to his amateur background and size, but that's not necessary to build excitement and draw. It's not like there's not plenty of precedent for MMA orgs to do poo poo to make money that's not in the best interest of pure competitive sport value either.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 7, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The Duck of Death posted:

Yuji Nagata had two MMA fights. His opponents were Cro Cop and Fedor.

The crazy thing about that is that those were both put on by Inoki himself who somehow thought it was a good idea to feed one of his top guys to those two.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Aurain posted:

Not that I believe that this is the straw that breaks the camels back regarding Sonnen's credibility, or that Sonnen is saying anything remotely true, but the weight class issue isn't a problem if this mystery man has a history of fighting at 170 and 185 themselves.

Sonnen vs. Punk would rule in NJPW, but I can't see Punk being remotely ready to fight a guy on Chael's level in a shootfight anytime soon.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

david carmichael posted:

if he was taking this at all seriously, why would he not want to use that extra time to prepare

The guy was incredibly hosed up physically and burnt out mentally and I'll believe he genuinely needed some time relaxing and watching hockey while in the process of switching careers.

I'm skeptical he'll ever be able to be competitive against anyone other than a hand picked can, but I honestly do believe he'll take it seriously from this point on.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

david carmichael posted:

its the brock lesnar thing: if he hasn't taken it seriously up till now, what makes you believe he's gonna start

It's certainly fair to question if a guy will be able to deal with getting punched for real when the last fight he was in was apparently many years ago against Teddy Hart outside a Denny's.

Obviously way too early to know the answer to that but Punk's never been accused of being lazy even by his detractors. He knows he's way behind the curve and genuinely seems to want to prove to himself and the skeptics he can do this. I think there's a hell of a lot of obstacles in his way but I don't think a lack of work ethic or desire is one of them.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Viper_3000 posted:

Again, your talking about a guy who nearly died from an undiagnosed MRSA infection, who's knees were trashed at the end of his pro-wrestling career from constant abuse, and who has been on the road 260+ days a year for the past 10+ years, 300+ days for the past 3. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to sit on a couch for half a year while he heals, gets married, figures out how best to make the transition, and waits for his legal matters to get settled.

Punk's a smart guy, he knows and has admitted he's behind the curb, but he's also someone who sets goals and works ruthlessly towards them with determination. (As evidenced by his wrestling career.)

Yeah.

Please keep in mind guys I'm not predicting greatness or even competence from him.

He's a 36 year old beat up pro wrestler with no legit background other than sporadically rolling with Rener and athleticism was never considered his strong suit to begin with. There's plenty of obvious reasons to doubt him before questioning the one thing he actually has going for him(access to top level training and the time/money to devote himself to it full time).

Thauros fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 11, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's a shame he unmasked when he went to WWE, I'd love to see a masked MMA guy in 2015.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ty1990 posted:

Punk is ok and I respect the fact that he's a talented wrestler but alot of his fans overlook the fact that he's one of the biggest whiners on earth. It's pretty incredible how much he can bitch about a company that made him a millionaire and I wouldn't be surprised if exaggerated a large portion of his Colt Cabana interview.

Whatever your opinion of Punk is, listen to everyone else who has left the company recently and has been willing and/or legally able to talk. They seem like a pretty dysfunctional company to work for right now and Meltzer has been saying for quite some time that current locker room morale is very low.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

The recent Lesnar news reminded me how completely loving insane it would have sounded back in the summer of 2011 if someone would have predicted that in 2015 Brock would be WWE Champion and Punk would be in the UFC.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah, the match held up nowhere near that great when I rewatched it years later, but it was fantastic at the time for the angle, build, crowd reaction, and genuine unpredictability.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ayn rand hand job posted:

John Cena does not have a ten inch penis.

[citation needed]

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Skinty McEdger posted:

Matt Hughes clearly.

Wouldn't it be Travis Browne?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

1st AD posted:

someone posted earlier that punk was a good athlete. I've only seen like 3 of his matches, but I think that is not true, he is not a good athlete and also he is old and not strong and is bad at BJJ and probably worse at kickboxing.

He was a fantastic pro wrestler but that was due to having charisma, promo ability, a great grasp of his character, and in ring psychology. The one knock on him even in a worked sport was lack of natural athleticism (witness his lovely elbow drop)

Thauros fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 24, 2016

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Ooh, Clevland's driveable and it's headlined by the Overeem/Miocic match. Might go as I've never seen MMA live, the card looks halfway decent, and I can say I was at what will probably be Punk's only MMA match.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

It's crazy how a young Vince looks exactly like the mental image of him you'd imagine.

Cena's also easily recognizable but looks older than mid 2000's rapper Cena.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Cubone posted:

For real though. I bet you could wake a wrestler up by laying your arm over him and counting to two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofkMReimM5I

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

They've done worse to people and they've come back, like Warrior.

Never say never. Punk always wanted to headline Wrestlemania, so I wouldn't rule out him coming back for that sometime down the road if WWE offered it.

Part of the reason why Warrior and Bruno came back is that while they hated Vince they were willing to talk to Hunter. Punk otoh could work with Vince at times but never trusted or got along well with Triple H

Thauros fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Aug 31, 2016

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

coconono posted:

In the end, Punk on PPV was a sound business decision. UFC gets a guy heated up(Gall) for higher profile fights at a fraction of what they're paying Punk.

Yeah. I get why a guy like Filthy Tom is pissed that a totally unqualified guy can walk into the UFC based purely on celebrity value and being friends with Dana, but there is value to a freakshow fight once in a while and hopefully it helps launch Gall's career. He absolutely shouldn't fight for them again based on that showing but once is defensible.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Once was totally defensible but even tho he's somewhat of a draw a second really looks sketchy imo.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Punk vs. Sakuraba in Rizin to let Saku get a win this decade would be perfect especially since they could hype Punk's connection to Rener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

exploded mummy posted:

A month ago, I'd say that I'd love to see Punk vs Shibata

Punk vs. Saku to let the latter hopefully retire with a win

• Locked thread