Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cams
Mar 28, 2003

I hope he comes out to Miseria Cantere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

The ironic thing here is that Punk could see this as an opportunity to make his stock rise then waltz back into WWE on a part-time schedule like Brock...but he might get so hosed up that he'll never be able to pass a WWE physical again
can't decide which is funnier, punk having to get his stock up to go back to the wwe or a wwe physical

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The level to which people think Punk has no idea how to fight another human being is pretty funny.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Yuriy posted:

im pretty sure he takes painkillers and poo poo for medical stuff
no

The level to which people in this thread think CM Punk could not hang with whatever bottom-level can the UFC throws at him is pretty hilarious. Punk can win or lose but the idea that he's gonna get blown out of the loving water is silly.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Raffles posted:

i don't think cm punk will do well at the sport of mixed martial arts
i think he will completely dominate his opponent, setting up Nick Diaz vs CM Punk, the greatest event in mma history

cams
Mar 28, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

tbh he has enough money, contacts and free time that he can train intensely for six months with a good-quality team and be good enough to beat a hand-picked opponent who's basically a tomato can but not so much that it's obvious to people who don't watch MMA regularly. afterwards Chael Sonnen will come in the octagon, give him his purple belt, and they'll do a pose together and go to a strip club

if that isn't doing well, I don't know what is
On the recent podcast with Colt Cabana, he mentioned several times that since he left WWE, he's pretty much been doing nothing but having fun, relaxing, and training as much as he possibly can.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

fatherdog posted:

His first fight is almost certainly going to be on the televised prelims on a show in Chicago.
While I think this is the most "reasonable" course of action, I would not be surprised in the least if they put Punk in the first match of the actual PPV because Punk WILL get them more buys.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

for real, people talking about joe rogan beating cm punk in a fight is the highest point of this thread

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Daniel Bryan posted:

From CM Punk's official website (which probably hasn't been updated in years):
CM Punk is the best in the world and needs to be respected.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think any rassleposters think Punk is going to be a contender.
Chris Wiedman couldn't even lace CM Punk's boots.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Aaaaand here is the semi-monthly argument about what straight edge is from people who aren't straight edge.
hey, i found a logical fallacy with the made up lifestyle someone has chosen for themselves! what a loving hypocrite!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dexters Secret posted:

Aaaaand here is the semi-hourly post from someone who doesn't get jokes.
jokes are funny

cams
Mar 28, 2003

While it is entirely possible, even likely, that Punk loses because he is 37 years old, the level to which people think he is a weak, inept loser is shameful.

That said, Punk gonna win with a flying knee into bulldog followers by a Go to Sleep for the no victory.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

i htink you are mischaracterizing or at least misunderstanding what everyone is saying
people are proposing that he would lose to ed o'neil and posters in this thread

cams
Mar 28, 2003

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Post history ctrl f the level to which
this part is true though i love that phrase

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

some of the posters in this thread have had amateur fights, and some have had pro fights
that's cool and i still think people think way too little of the athletic capabilities of cm punk

of whom i am like the biggest fan in the world but that has nothing to do with it obviously

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

cams have you ever previously watched mma, or anything similar?
lol

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael you are really taking personally my assertion that cm punk will not die in the octagon

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

huh? that's not what you said. i'm trying to understand what you are getting at.
i said that i think people in this thread are vastly underestimating what he can do

it's a really simple concept

cams
Mar 28, 2003

RacistGuidingLight posted:

The level to which people think CM Punk isn't a good fighter is insane. It's off the charts even. It's... no this can't be right. This CAN'T be an accurate reading! It's.... over...9...*static*
great joke

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

so what do you think he can do, that other people thinks he can't? like what part of his skill set are we underestimating
i think he is a really tough dude with a ton of willpower and i don't really have trouble believing he could stand against a guy with 0-2 pro fights under his belt

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

you won't point to anything concrete, or really state anything whatsoever. you just keep saying "THOSE guys. THOSE guys are wrong. you'll see. even if he loses they are wrong" which doesn't actually mean anything
lol my bad i was ruining the thoughtful intelligent discussion of this thread

hahahaha

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

Are you really taking personal my assertion that anyone identifying as straight edge is, uhhhh, a bad f word
i have yet to acknowledge that you exist

you're welcome

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

also, to clarify: he is not a green lantern so "willpower" doesn't actually matter
lol

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

but i'm genuinely curious if you watch/follow/care about mma at all or if you are basing your opinions of his toughness and willpower exclusively on pro-wrestling stuff
yes my mma dick is in fact bigger than yours

seriously the phenomenon of people being super defensive in this thread about a wrestleguy coming in to the ufc is really weird. like people believe that dudes on the facebook prelims are godlike warriors who's skills are trained like ninjas

i've said "i think punk is more capable than people in this thread are saying" and a bunch of people are freaking out

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Seltzer posted:

You've made a lot of bad posts.
cool i was super worried about that

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

lots of pro-wrestlers have successfully transitioned into mma. everyone pretty much unanimously said that punk would be better than someone with his level of experience. we are trying to figure out what you are arguing against. no one is being defensive
that's cool, i disagree with your summary of this thread. i see a lot more people discounting him completely and those are the ones i am speaking to. you don't need to keep defending the others any more.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

lol sup

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Yuriy posted:

just a reminder that cams thinks that bendo won all his fights and the judges had nothing to do with it

he watches fight, he just watches them like a retard
a reminder that you are yuriy

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

oh god this is like choosing which of my idiot children i hate the most
you are trying to make me have a serious discussion about the fact that i think a lot of people in this thread are being dumb

the reason you have decided to stand up for this thread as some bastion of reasonable opinions is unknown to me but its weird

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

i am not standing up for the thread. i am saying that you, personally, are stupid.
hahaha cool then keep it up bro gj

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

further clarification: i maintain that you might not be stupid, it is possible that you are instead mentally ill.
oh noooo

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hahaha

cams
Mar 28, 2003

freud mayweather posted:

if anyone's underestimating punk's "athletic capabilities" it's probably because he's an injury prone wreck of a man who wasn't very athletic or coordinated by pro wrestling standards. also he refuses to take drugs like a good fighter.
fair point, he also fractured his skull and cracked his hip and his knees would probably function better if they were legos

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

further clarification: i maintain that you might not be stupid, it is possible that you are instead mentally ill.
no no lets go back to you trying to pretend that you're smart and you want to have an "intelligent discussion" about the outcomes of a future fight between cm punk and whoever while being super defensive on behalf of this thread

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Grifter posted:

Can you name a few guys on the prelims like Punk.
  • Debuted in the UFC
  • Debuted in their late 30s
  • Have no significant background in any martial art or combat sport
I'm actually hoping you'll find people because those sound like cool guys to follow.
sounds like he's a completely unknown variable, to me! i hope the odds are way against him i want to place my first mma bet since i bet against anderson silva and then he shattered his own leg

cams
Mar 28, 2003

david carmichael posted:

if at any point it was not clear that i was making fun of you then i apologize completely
no you really got me all those times you used "we" to refer to you and the thread

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Skip My Posts posted:

More footage of punk training:

http://youtu.be/q7eK85rFZNo
is howard stern's voice really that low or you guys think they do something to modulate it?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Great White Hope posted:

It's almost a lock that any odds made will have Punk as a very heavy favorite against anybody he's going to face while he's an unknown.
eh to be fair if he's a favorite i doubt it's by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i am always happy to have yuriy on the other side of anything i believe

also you showing off your amazing reading comprehension with the first thing on that list bro

• Locked thread