Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.
So how serious is Punk about the straight-edge thing? I could see him winning fights against some nobodies simply on the ground that he can afford way better designer gear than most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

LobsterMobster posted:

Also, since he's got a black belt, how about Punk vs Al Bundy?
Al would easily win. He once got four submissions in one tournament to clinch the city championships.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

30 pages, large chunks of which are wrestling posters rather than MMA posters. Whatever the UFC is paying Punk, it's worth it.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

cams posted:

seriously the phenomenon of people being super defensive in this thread about a wrestleguy coming in to the ufc is really weird. like people believe that dudes on the facebook prelims are godlike warriors who's skills are trained like ninjas
Can you name a few guys on the prelims like Punk.
  • Debuted in the UFC
  • Debuted in their late 30s
  • Have no significant background in any martial art or combat sport
I'm actually hoping you'll find people because those sound like cool guys to follow.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

So it's pretty cool that Punk got to walk in with Pettis, only to watch Pettis get savaged. His MMA future must be looking rosy right now.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Since this is basically the MMA/WWE crossover thread, I've got a question. Everything I read about Vince seems to indicate that he is an insane megalomaniac who is terrible to work for and makes all kinds of bad decisions that should damage his business. Why is the WWE so dominant then? Is it purely momentum from having the biggest brand?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

david carmichael posted:

vince is an rear end in a top hat, and has made all kinds of terrible business decisions and even though he lets his personality really get involved in his business he is primarily operating wwe as a business. which is something that no other major company in north america has done since in like minimum 20 years.
Are there good books I can read about the competition companies? They sound like trainwrecks by comparison.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

WCW was their biggest competition and this is the most thorough read you can find on it.

http://www.amazon.com/Death-WCW-R-D-Reynolds/dp/1770411763

Their current TV competition in North America is a company called TNA, and they're detailed in that book as well (as long as you get the most recent edition).
I'll check this out, thanks. For all the wrestling people, the UFC is pretty much the same way. The president is a guy who got the job by growing up with the owners. He now owns gun shaped bibles and dinosaur skulls and can't stop swearing at press conferences. On the other hand his competition murders dogs and gives 50% of their revenues to Russian (and/or Japanese) mobsters so the UFC is the best game in town.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Street Horrrsing posted:

Art Jimmerson makes his triumphant return to the octagon. Disturbingly plausible.
Bring back Fred Ettish. Then bet your house on Fred.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd still rather see CM Punk fight Octagon an Octagonecologyst.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

vainman posted:

I can't think of another sport that's more focused on what have you done for me lately than mma. Maybe boxing, but that's it
It's tough to compare it and show exact amounts but it's definitely out there in other sports. Like a week ago Steph Curry went from GOAT to "only a system player".

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Intruder posted:

No but that one's pretty cool too thanks

e: the one I'm thinking of, and it may not be Silva and I'm just misremembering, the fighter eats a big shot up against the cage and his legs are like jello but he just wings punch after punch and lands a knockout
I am 99% sure you're talking about Kongo/Barry but I don't have a gif handy.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

If Punk was only a near top card guy for a few years, how does he have 13 million bucks? Does the WWE pay that much for guys who aren't named Cena?

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Before this thread if I was asked which of these people writes about pro wrestling I wouldn't have picked the guy on the left.

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Chris James 2 posted:

If Dave says he's all natural, hell, I'll believe him
I'm not buying it yet, does he have some sort of knuckle based ethos to back it up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Ah yes, he's hiding all of his secret moves for the fight. Smart.
That's ridiculous. He's training at Roufusport, not Jackson's.

• Locked thread