Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Perdido posted:

He's been involved with professional wrestling in some way or another since he was 18(?) years old, he's 36 years old now. He does not have much in the way of formal MMA training -- he started training BJJ at Gracie schools like 2 years or so ago and apparently has been doing "MMA training" for the past 6 months or so. He has no amateur record to speak of.

His knees are shot to poo poo and he's had several surgeries to deal with them, he's looking to compete in middleweight or light heavyweight.

He's better than your average professional wrestler because he's straight edge and has avoided PEDs, but he's never been one of the most athletic guys out there. His selling point as a wrestler was being more of a personality than as an athletic freak a la Lesnar. He was a good wrestler, but his strengths laid more in story telling and plotting out matches.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
no one feels insecure about mma. no one is going to be upset if cm punk wins a fight or is good.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gonzo McFee posted:

Not really an MMA guy but wasn't there a bunch of MMA fans throwing hissyfits when Brock was champion?

a lot of people hated brock but I think it had more to do with his personality than anything

I only know of CM punk because he was on WTF. He seems like a cool person not a crazy egomaniac millionaire living out a woodsman fantasy in a log mansion with his fake titted wife

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 7, 2014

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gonzo McFee posted:

Again not much of a MMA guy, but from watching his fights his style was "Be a gigantic freak of nature, sit on my opponents and hit them until they stop moving" yes?

He didnt really know how to strike, but he was legitimately fast and strong as gently caress with his shots and there is plenty of precedent for a big strong guy like that to not only be successful but respected in MMA at heavyweight. Tom Erikson, Mark KErr, etc. They didn't have a lot of experience either and weren't any good standing.

Heavyweight just isnt a deep division, and guys can burn out fast, and so natural talent and technique go a long way. Just having that outstanding wrestling background made him a real fighter. Of course there were other, better fighters with physical advantages, great technique, and even better training and wrestling that brock.

I mean your impression is sort of right, but thats a real legit way to be at 206+ lbs

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
if his knees are really that bad hes going to have a hard time making it through a training camp let alone getting someone to the ground in a fight

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Lets be clear. Even if CM punk was in the top 100 talents ever in mma, like lesnar, he would absolutely get destroyed by Sonnen if it was his first fight

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Ive seen the guy, and I have to say I find it hard to believe that he's good at anything

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Or if they have knees

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
It is good how people are rationalizing that CM Punk will have better training so he has a good chance to beat his first opponent, because they're discounting the fact that his first opponent will probably have natural ability and also a non-old body. I think if we were anywhere but the internet forumsphere that in an average group of 18-31 year old males, probably half could beat up CM Punk.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Any 18 year old kid could walk to into a gym and say I cant afford to pay and mop the gym mats to train as much as CM Punk

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hopefully its all a joke and CM Punk does a clothesline and an elbow drop on the guy who flops and twitches all his limbs when hit and Joe Rogan goes Gotcha

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

LobsterMobster posted:

Chick Magnet Punk vs Mage of Blackest Night

mobn had more competitive experience. He wouldnt even have to take his glasses off.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
They count me as standing when I have to lean on the bar

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Aurain posted:

Isn't disliking Hendo actual treason over there in the US?
Like, you can get a prison sentence and everything.

You're thinking of Don Frye

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
This thread is cool now

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Shadalator posted:

CM Punk vs Ken Shamrock

honestly thats the best idea ive seen, and the only one that sort of makes sense to me

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I expect CM Punk to do as well as Herschel Walker did in Strikeforce at the age of 48.

That would be a major overachievment

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Gatts posted:

Has it already been suggested CM Punk face Brock Lesnar for real this time and let's see if they can have as good a match as their WWE PPV one?

I'm sure it has. Brock will destroy Punk. Probably never face each other/not same weight class.

Okay besides Ken Shamrock, this is the only idea that makes any sense that I've read so far

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Codependent Poster posted:

Will UFC put out a recap of his first fight that's just zooming in to close-ups of Punk's rear end?

Theres no cameras under the mat

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

cams posted:

1900 posts in this thread i wonder if it was a good business decision for the ufc to sign cm punk

Thats definitely how I'd evaluate it

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

colonel_korn posted:

Still curious about whether they'll actually try to find someone with some name recognition who won't embarrass him (I have no idea who this could be) or whether he'll just fight some guy no one's heard of.

This almost seems like an insurmountable problem to me. Theres no one at his level. There's no old, injured person with no experience.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
They should make him fight that cop who beat up Kimbo

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Onmi posted:

Why? Do you think Bubba's wife got off on hearing Hogan poo poo talk black people? Was she masturbating furiously going "Oh God Hogan, Put those niggers down, yes tell me how much you hate black people and how you imagine them loving your daughter, I'm so close!"

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

MysteryNad posted:

i couldn't believe it hughes pulled that off against almeida, gotta be up there with the best subs of all time

you probably really hurt fd bringing this up but i agree. hughes is probably one of the only guys whose legacy is so good, submitting big dog is small potatoes

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
John Cena isnt funny at all and youre slightly in love with him and his good looks if he makes you laugh.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i dont watch wwe and dont know anything about him other than the two movies ive seen him in + that "its john cena" meme. i guess my sense of humor is just more pedestrian than yours

Captain Log posted:

Was he on Parks and Rec? Because I remember laughing at that bit.

i dont really think youre in love if you think john cena is funny

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

The Sphinxster posted:

Gumgor's record is padded with unsanctioned Godzilla fights

lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Cavauro posted:

i'm creating a film called 'the problems that arise when one person is arguing based on one meaning of a single word and everyone else is talking about that word solely in the context that it's been used all along on this subject' and its going to be gooder than most

i feel like ive seen it 1000 times

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hermes Franca is a real piece of work too, iirc.

hes bad

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Skinty McEdger posted:

He had a stalker who used to go through his trash bins every day looking for something he had once touched. I think if I had to put up with that I would be even more of a dick.

Or alternatively I would be James Thompson

lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Hes just a guy following a dream

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
i assume hes scared of people too

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Did he ever fight ?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

oldpainless posted:

Punk used to be good friends with a midget wrestler named Hornswoggle and one day Hornswoggle asked Punk for the phone number of another wrestler, one they both saw every day at work, and Punk felt he was being used and ended their friendship

Liked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Fushin posted:

I'm not going to try and hide the fact I was wrong.

Respec

• Locked thread