Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
Remember Sean Gannon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

So UFC guys, what was the most one-sided assbeating in history and does Punk have any potential to get assbeaten on that level?

Sean Gannon vs Brandon Lee Hinkle comes to mind. And is the reason there is 0 chance they match Punk up with a wrestler.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

In regards to Punk coming out to Cult Of Personality, does that work on a legal level? I know Punk owns the rights to his name, but does WWE have any claims as far as WWE Superstar CM Punk? Could he make a t-shirt in the same font that says Best In The World, wear his actual WWE tights, and come out to the song? Could WWE sue UFC for some sort of IP theft?

He used it as his entrance music as ROH champ, before he was ever in WWE. So I think he's good.

I don't think they'll do it, but after seeing the longer version of the Punk / Ariel Helwani interview, I think WWE could try to sue UFC for tampering. Punk pretty clearly had conversations, motivated by comments from Lorenzo Fertitta, about whether or not he would consider coming in to the UFC.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.
I'm still pretty torn on the signing, mostly because I think that Punk is happy and healthy and should try to stay that way. Training for a fight involves guaranteed injuries, and who knows what will happen in the fight itself. Plus, if you think WWE ownership is scuzzy, get a load of Dana White!

Selfishly, I'm pissed at WWE for having screwed things up with Punk so badly, because I really enjoyed seeing him in an environment where he got to cut entertaining promos and be a winner. I think there's going to be a lot less of that for him in the UFC. But WWE wore him into the ground and generally undervalued him, so I don't blame him for leaving. The loss to HHH, which seemed stupid at the time, seems even worse now.

I hope he gets on the card in a Chicago UFC show, because the pop will be even bigger than Money in the Bank 2011. That would be enough to get me to order a UFC show.

If he's insistent on fighting, he made the right choice in going to the UFC in terms of publicity and his own personal enjoyment of the experience. Now I'm expecting Bellator to sign Del Rio as a concession prize, and rooting for them to bring Alberto Rodriguez along too for introductions.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

Grifter posted:

Can you name a few guys on the prelims like Punk.
  • Debuted in the UFC
  • Debuted in their late 30s
  • Have no significant background in any martial art or combat sport
I'm actually hoping you'll find people because those sound like cool guys to follow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Mitrione

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

fatherdog posted:

MOD CHALLENGE: Watch Severn/Shamrock 2 and make your next post in this thread a minute-by-minute review.

Saw Hulkamatt's tweet, and this is even better than I could have hoped.

• Locked thread