Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Lloyd Boner posted:

Sign Del Rio, start WWEight division

Make the fights semi-worked. PRIDE WILL RISE AGAIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

In a few years UFC shows will be called by CM Punk and Chael Sonnen.

I have no issues with that. Chael was decent on the B-show he did with JR, and Punk did guest commentary in WWE better than drat near anyone in the past 20 years.

Triple Helix posted:

I don't know who they're going to match up with Punk for his first fight. They have to put someone else inexperienced in front of him, but I can't see that type of match being part of a PPV.

It's one thing if they would of stuck him in a season of TUF but I just can't figure out how this will work.

Why wouldn't it be part of a PPV? It'd easily be the first fight on the card, and you'd have to have a decent main/semi-main to go with, but I don't see the problem. Punk is going to draw tons of money, you can guarantee that.

I mean, I guess you could put him on a Fox card, and have it do record numbers for UFC there, but that just seems like a waste. He only fights for the first time once, and that's where Dana and Lorenzo see money, and frankly why he's signed to UFC and not fighting in some podunk MMA promotion in Arkansas.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

coconono posted:

I love Punk but he really should be thrown to the wolves because thats the best money decision. Unless he gets magically good in several months of training, UFC can only bank on 1 or 2 fights before he's no longer a draw.

3 fights seems about right to find out if he's got the talent/skills to actually compete. Throw him 1-2 cans, and then someone with a name who is semi-good/experienced to see if he can actually compete. That gets a bunch of buys from WWE fans to see him beat people up, and then gets a bunch of buys from MMA fans who want to see him get killed. After that, if he's no good, put him on the undercard or Fox cards until he retires, or move him into commentary/analyst for Fox.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

fatherdog posted:

His first fight is almost certainly going to be on the televised prelims on a show in Chicago.

There's literally no reason NOT to put him on a PPV for his first fight. He only has one first fight and that could be the biggest draw of his MMA career if he doesn't do well. Putting him on FS1 for free on an undercard doesn't make any sense at all when he has more twitter followers than anyone employed by UFC excluding Dana White and Anderson Silva.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Spoiler: He's going to do well against whatever tomato can they line up for him

the UFC always, always, always puts a big/popular name on the televised undercard, because it induces people to tune in and then buy the ppv.

Sure, I get that. But putting a guy who's first fight going to draw a ton of PPV buys from WWE fans on the main card is a no brainer. Why would you waste that on free TV with fans who are just going to tune out when you can pop a PPV buyrate?

Plus he basically stated in the Helwani interview that his debut will be on PPV.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Borrowed Ladder posted:

In regards to Punk coming out to Cult Of Personality, does that work on a legal level? I know Punk owns the rights to his name, but does WWE have any claims as far as WWE Superstar CM Punk? Could he make a t-shirt in the same font that says Best In The World, wear his actual WWE tights, and come out to the song? Could WWE sue UFC for some sort of IP theft?

I know that he regained control of the trademark on his name as part of his settlement as far as merchandising goes, especially since he has merch up on ProWrestlingTees now. As far as his character/likeness, no one really knows, because that's probably in the settlement which is sealed. You could say possibly so, since one of his shirts is a cartoon of him in gear sitting indian style with his recognizable kickpads, but it's also vague enough that he might not.

WWE probably owns a trademark on "Best in the World", but why would he want to use that in MMA as a 0-0 fighter?

And again, the LAST thing WWE wants to do is to make media waves by suing Punk/UFC. Punk has enough dirt on them to put the business/stock price at serious risk, and the first thing he would do if they filed suit is go on a HUGE media tour talking about the medical malpractice/independent contractor thing that goes on in the WWE.

EDIT: And obviously everyone else has addressed the Cult of Personality thing. They'll license that poo poo to anyone for money.

Viper_3000 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 8, 2014

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Joe Rogan is on so much TRT/HGH he looks like a human gorilla.

Punk should go on the podcast though. (As long as Joe won't make the entire thing about being straightedge, which he probably would.)

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

Does Chael have any remaining credibility?

Not after this. Seriously, the guy doesn't even know what weight class he's going to be in and Chael says he knows who his opponent is going to be? So much bullshit there....

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'm now imagining them having a sleepover at Dana's and Dana showing off his guns carved out of bibles.

I would kill to see CM Punk in one of those videos Nick the Tooth does with Dana when he goes on a boys trip to his place in Maine and does stupid poo poo.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

Add to this that according to his interview with Ariel he was planning this for a year.

I'm starting to think that he's going to be his own worst enemy in this, and it's going to take some serious management by Dana to keep this going the way the UFC would like.

Yeah, but he's also said he didn't expect to be able to sign/announce until this summer because of his legal situation with WWE. And by planning, I doubt that means much more than thinking about what organization to sign with, rolling more with Rener, and vaguely thinking about what gym he might want to go to. He was still under contract to WWE until June when he got married, and had a year long non-compete forced on him until his lawyer got it cleared up, so I doubt he thought he'd be fighting next year.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

david carmichael posted:

if he was taking this at all seriously, why would he not want to use that extra time to prepare

Again, your talking about a guy who nearly died from an undiagnosed MRSA infection, who's knees were trashed at the end of his pro-wrestling career from constant abuse, and who has been on the road 260+ days a year for the past 10+ years, 300+ days for the past 3. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to sit on a couch for half a year while he heals, gets married, figures out how best to make the transition, and waits for his legal matters to get settled. Plus he's not a guy who can just walk into any MMA gym in Chicago without a huge target immediately put on his back and douchebags trying to break the fake wrestlers arm. It's half the reason why he's only rolled with Rener out in LA.

david carmichael posted:

its the brock lesnar thing: if he hasn't taken it seriously up till now, what makes you believe he's gonna start

He's talked about buying a condo in whatever city the gym he's settled on is located in so he can train twice a day. He's been rolling with Rener twice a day in LA since the UFC deal was in negotiations. He's stopped eating like poo poo and dropped 15lbs off his walking around weight already. Plus, he can't really just start turning up in MMA Gyms without word getting out that he's going to be fighting and ruining the UFC announcement. (Assuming he was actually going to be announced at the Reebok thing.) I think you have to wait a little bit and see how he does in a camp before we can talk about how he is or isn't taking it seriously. Punk's a smart guy, he knows and has admitted he's behind the curb, but he's also someone who sets goals and works ruthlessly towards them with determination. (As evidenced by his wrestling career.)

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

This really is pretty much the most ridiculous thing possible. Even the pride and dream freak shows usually involved guys with some sort of background in a martial art. Even Jose canseco had more of a fighting pedigree

Is it the best move for the UFC as a sport? gently caress no. It's pretty awful, and his fighting career could turn out horribly. Especially if you think of the UFC as MLB and every other promotion as the minors. (Even Jordan didn't jump right into the MLB when he played baseball)

Is it the best business move for the UFC? Absolutely. They just locked up a guy with huge name value, who can't go to any of the competition or back to WWE. He's going to pop a buy rate with his first fight and Dana and Lorenzo aren't stupid, they know how good he is in front of a camera/with a microphone. If his fight career doesn't work out, he's going to make a killer commentator/analyst/host for any number of shows they produce because he's a huge MMA nerd.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Perdido posted:

But it makes perfect sense for him to jump into a professional MMA fight after 3+ years of being on the road for 300+ days, having trashed knees and having spent the last year convalescing and not training the limited amount of experience that he does have.

Jesus Christ. The guy isn't fighting next month. More than likely we won't see him fight until October/November/December. Everyone makes it out to sound like he's going to be fighting in March. He's going to have close to a solid year of top tier professional coaching and training under his belt before he steps in the cage and he'll be facing a 1-0 or 0-0 guy. How many 0-0 or 1-0 guys are going to have the resources he has? The training team/coaches/camp that he'll have? How many will be able to devote their entire life to nothing but training and learning for the fight? Because that's what they're going to go up against in Punk. Would an extra 6 months of training help him? Absolutely, but I'm not going to fault the guy for taking some time to rehab his injuries and consider if he really wants to get in the cage or not.

Is he going to embarrass himself? Probably. But it'll be an interesting fight purely to see what kind of outing someone who has that much money/time/dedication can have vs. someone with a more legit fighting background and not as many resources.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Puppy Doll posted:

All this on the heels of Punk publicly condemning how fast the WWE was to clear him after concussions. Obviously clearing someone hurt is different than clearing someone on a lot of drugs, but jeez. Talk about throwing rocks on your way to a shiny new glass penthouse.

A commission isn't going to clear him to fight the very next night after a concussion. The WWE would demand that he go back out there and take a bunch of bumps the very next night. (A big no-no with concussions)That's the problem he had with the the WWE.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

With the incredulity with which Meltzer is talking about Punk revealing his (lack of) credentials and saying that he's setting the bar intentionally low, is there any possible way he's training in secret and is more skilled than he lets on? I may be but a mark but it seems so bizarre that someone with any sense would try this with so few credentials.

This isn't pro wrestling. If he was training anywhere, SOMEONE (especially someone like Dave) would have heard about it. Honestly, it's not that bizarre, I'm sure Punk knows that Dana and Lorenzo are going to treat him with kid gloves when it comes to making sure he's up against similar competition to begin with. (That is to say, a complete can.)

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Burt Buckle posted:

Cena would crush every competitor in the UFC. It would get real boring real fast.

Cena couldn't pass a drug test if you told him it was in 3 months. That guy is held together by more HGH and TRT than Joe Rogan will use in his lifetime.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Jason Funk posted:

and I don't want PTSD from this mockery that was the decline of pure mixed martial arts

I have PTSD from this stupid thread. The least you can do is put a little effort into a minute by minute account.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

I'm watching CB Dolloway vs some guy but if I don't drink myself to sleep before then I'll do the minute by minute thing

Hurry up and chugg the bottle. I promise it's for your health.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

fatherdog posted:

Looks like Punk training at Roufussport is more or less confirmed -

Didn't Askren completely slam the signing or am I remembering that wrong?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Whoever said he gets a championship match because of money is insane.

That said, if he does well (which is a HUGE if), I can absolutely see him getting a crack at someone in the top 10 on a Fox card or as a bonus draw on a stacked show.

And he'll get murdered and become a commentator/analyst if he doesn't have permanent brain damage from it.

I'm actually really interested in that 30 for 30 they are putting together for his debut. That could potentially turn out to be really good.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Or he could be really bad, because he has 0 experience with commentating MMA, or performing MMA, or organized sports.

Rogan had dick for experience and from what I can tell Punk is as much of a superfan as he was back in the day. Plus he did a decent run as a commentator in WWE when he had hip problems, so he already knows the ins and outs of how a broadcast is run. I'd put way more money on him making it as a commentator or broadcaster than as a fighter.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

1st AD posted:

Joe Rogan is a BJJ black belt and won a TKD national championship do when he was young.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_nyuuuJjh0

Rogan didn't even start training BJJ until 96 and took over color commentary in 2002. So roughly 6 years? Punk will have about half that by the time they tap him for commentary, and he's already well versed as a broadcaster, which Rogan wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I guess I'm just stretching it too far thinking that a guy who went out and did live tv for years might succeed doing a different version of live tv. I'd certainly rather see him host the post fight shows than loving Jay Glazer.

• Locked thread