Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeathChicken posted:

He's already said himself that it's win win, he either does well and anyone who likes him gets to see it, or he gets beaten silly and anyone who hates him gets to see it. I would say something about the indifferent, but people seem *just so mad* about it all, that doesn't look like the case.

I'm pretty indifferent and basically it means that I get to drink in the joy of one side and the tears of the other no matter what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CM Punk was a top entertainer putting on four-five live performances a week for like 15 years I think he'll be ok if they stick him in on commentary.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

-Atom- posted:

one has nothing to do with the other.

You think this but if commentary is boring it doesn't matter if they're accurate because none of the casual fans (and probably a lot of non-casual fans) are going to notice if you don't perfectly identify a move or strategy.

Also I assume if they use him as a commentator it would be more along the lines of an analyst desk thing and not actual pbp/color.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Endless Mike posted:

Looking forward to CM Wyatt.

CM Punk is Sister Abigail

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FullLeatherJacket posted:

FIGHTSPORTS

For all the poo poo Punk gets about not being able to learn a professional sport from scratch simply by having a stick up your rear end, though, every time I watch that fight I remember that Kimbo Slice became a pro MMA fighter in the year 2007 and nine years later hadn't developed the rudimentary skills required to finish a fight from mount against a man literally in the process of dying

I remember watching The Ultimate Fighter where the big deal was that Kimbo was on the show and then someone (was it Nelson?) went after him in like the first episode and kicked his rear end to eliminate him.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MinibarMatchman posted:

Also funny how Kevin's probably more amicable and yet is the way better heel character right now by a mile.

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhzwhAYy5hA

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gorn Myson posted:

That, and the whole Straight Edge Society angle.

I was going to post the video of him singing Happy Birthday to Mysterio's daughter too but I couldn't find a good one in a couple tries and I'm at work so I had to stop looking for a little bit.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bluedeanie posted:

That seems like the kind of thing only 12 people in the world will know and care about, so I doubt it. Besides, the whole real reason they're rushing to Cleveland for the first time ever is because Stipe broke the curse.

Yeah but CM Punk and Vince McMahon are two of those people.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Bluedeanie posted:

The UFC isn't in the business of trying to gently caress with the WWE in any meaningful way, so the fact that it's the sort of thing that Vince McMahon would get irrationally upset about is all the more reason that is not a deliberate choice on the UFC's part.

Yeah but you already said nobody in UFC knows.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Codependent Poster posted:

CP Munk would be just as successful in UFC as CM Punk.

Depends on who's under th-

Luigi Thirty posted:

CP Munk, played by Necro Butcher of all people

....I disagree with the previous statement, as CP Munk would clearly be more successful in UFC

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

coconono posted:

There's a reason why you never see Mike Quakenbush and CM Punk in the same room together. Because the results would be embarrassing.

(for CM Punk)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oldpainless posted:

CM Punk will fight any day now. I know it in my heart of hearts.

44 days, in theory

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chris James 2 posted:

It's...finally happening??

Punk has that "oh god what did I get myself in to?" look on his face

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Not putting Punk's fight on PPV would be like just setting fire to a big pile of money

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brock Lesnar was also a freak athlete who was an incredible amateur wrestler in college. Punk is not very gifted athletically (if at all) and I don't think he did any amateur stuff either.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mr. Nice! posted:

So he's only good at faking getting knocked down?

It's harder than it sounds but yes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

this is the wrong thread but lol CM Punk

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cabbit posted:

Actually this is the right thread to lol at CM Punk

I meant that I had initially posted in the wrong thread, but as I wanted to have a post with content I chose to laugh at CM Punk.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

What's the over/under that cm punk misses weight

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Eat Bum Zen posted:

I think this too + your other post makes sense so I'll probably put a little bit of money on Punk. Maybe his cardio is just ungodly or something and he has an iron chin? Maybe the Xe lifestyle is good??

This isn't meant to be any sort of insight to the fight but pro wrestlers (especially guys like Punk) tend to have ridiculous cardio, yeah. If I had to pick one thing for Punk to worry least about it would probably be his ability to not gas out if a fight went the distance.

That's also a bit moot though because I don't think anyone expects it to go the distance.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Liquid Communism posted:

Except Brock, who just turns more and more purple. But then his cardio isn't -bad- for a guy his size.

Yeah, I should have added a caveat that the Real Big Guys generally have poo poo for cardio, I was mainly talking about guys Punk's size.

Bluedeanie posted:

In MMA it is not really an accepted thing for both guys lay on the ground and pretend to be hurt for a few seconds as an excuse to catch their breath, although if your exposure to the sport is based on The Ultimate Fighter and Kimbo Slice I could see how you might believe that.

Outside of what's already been covered, pro wrestling doesn't really have a 1-2 minute break every five minutes either :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Halloween Jack posted:

In a shocking twist, Gall will make Brooks tap to the figure-four leglock.

he was clearly practicing the Sharpshooter

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Chris James 2 posted:

Look in my eyes

What do you see

A guy getting KO'd on PPV

That doesn't fit the meter at all!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

nooneofconsequence posted:

Any man can beat another man on any given night

What if that other man is Brock Lesnar?

Or Braun Stroman

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CM Punk made weight and Gall missed it.

lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dr. Abysmal posted:

It looks like Gall weighed in at 170.5. You get a pound allowance for non-title fights, so he also made weight.

That's a dumb rule (solely because it makes it far less amusing)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

-Atom- posted:

hahaha you don't know how that works.

A Bad Post

Sprecherscrow posted:

A rule about MMA weigh ins you probably don't know is that non-title fights have a "grace pound" so you can come in up to 1 lbs over and still be considered on weight. Gall came in at 170.5 so he made weight.

A Good Post (from the UFC gameday thread when I asked about Gall missing weight)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It will always be Crazy Mariachi to me

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sprecherscrow posted:

Gall got 15/15. If Punk had missed weight, Gall's pay would've quadrupled.

What does 15/15 mean?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Luigi Thirty posted:

$15k for showing up, $15k for winning.

Thanks friend

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jetfire posted:

It took me something like 100 loops for me to realize that's ... Eve? in the corner.

AJ, CM Punk's now wife. They were doing a love triangle thing between her, Bryan, and Punk.

Also that "tribute" was almost 100% Punk's idea I'd bet.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HerraS posted:

That actually is Eve at the end, you can only see AJ for like 1/10 of a second in the beginning. They had a AJ/Punk vs. Bryan/Eve match.

Well I'll be dammed, I completely forgot about her.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Herr Tog posted:

that was the fight were a dude was temporarily blind right? And the 'time out'?

That was the timeout, the temporary blindness was the second fight I think

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Martinpale posted:

People often forget the most hilarious thing about Punk's time in OVW..and an amazing look at how the WWE operates: According to Heyman, he'd get an email weekly from someone..not even someone in talent relations (the people in charge of who's signed/released), but often a secretary or something, going 'we want you to finish Punk up (end his storylines, etc.) and then you release him.' Heyman would go 'how about you fill out his release with a date he's gone, and THEN i'll finish him up', and the whole thing devolved into a circle with Heyman going 'No, YOU do it', and the office going 'No, YOU do it'..and no one ever actually did anything about releasing Punk.

Didn't HBK basically save his job by interrupting a writer circle-jerk of them making fun of him?

e: found it

quote:

Vince McMahon was scheduled to appear on ECW for the first time in the start of a new storyline. He was going to rid ECW of it’s “Original” stars and make the way for a “New Breed.” The meeting quickly turned into another CM Punk bash fest. My role was to run the meeting but dare not speak out of turn on the veteran agents. This was how the previous months meetings had gone but this day was different. It was a new voice in the room that changed everything. “Um, if you don’t like something the kid is doing, why don’t you work with him to fix it...instead of killing him.” That voice belonged to Shawn Michaels

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 21, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ty1990 posted:

greg hardy is getting into mma

He knows he has to fight men, right?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Baron Corbyn posted:

#MickeyGall2020

he won't even be old enough to be a senator in 2020

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bradzilla posted:

Jokey jokes are a thing. Much like CM Punk's MMA career :roflolmao:

Good jokes are based in reality :colbert:

Much like CM Punk's MMA Career!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

coconono posted:

Sage is actually bad and Punk is actually worse.

Clearly there's only one way to know for sure

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Punk probably doesn't even like video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LobsterMobster posted:

guy that smokes a ton of weed (like rvd, matt sydal) and doesn't actually connect with his punches is a big wrestling star?

whom indeed would have thunked such a thing

Matt Sydal doesn't smoke weed he smokes synthetic weed because he's a dumbass.

• Locked thread