Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

I know the thought process behind this is that obviously it would do pretty big viewership for TUF this late in its production history, but there's way too high a chance it would have absolutely no longterm benefit for the UFC and be a colossal waste of time and resources. There's hardly any guarantee Punk would win even in a tournament of strictly debutantes or 0-1/1-0 fighters, and then you're stuck giving a longterm contract to some inexperienced, unremarkable, unmarketable nobody who could would lose to virtually any welterweight on the roster at this stage in their career.

If the UFC decides they want to keep Punk under contract and develop him or milk another fight or two out of him, that is obviously their call, but there's no logical benefit to doing so by investing their time and money into TUF: Scrubs, Team Dober vs. Team Barberena.

"Punk appears" is more the draw there than "Punk succeeds."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Bluedeanie posted:

The entire point of my post was that Punk would need to succeed to make a televised tournament of people with extremely green or non-existent pro mma records for the grand prize of a six fight six figure contract worthwhile to the ufc to put on. Punk appearing very likely could single handedly cause the ratings boost necessary to completely offset production costs of the television series, but they are stuck paying an unusually high amount of money for whoever the winner is, and the winner is just as likely or possibly even more likely to be 0-1 Chunky Cornhusker the Nebraska division 17 wrestling standout who will fight anyone the ufc puts in front of him all glory to Jesus than it is to be the single profitable guy they have on the roster, who is already under a multifight six figure contract to begin with.

The UFC got extremely lucky in that their search for an opponent for CM Punk turned up interesting, marketable fighters with clear upsides in Sage Northcutt and Mickey Gall. That lightning will not strike the 15 more times necessary to fill out a TUF lineup, when again, CM Punk is already on a contract better than the one TUF gives out anyway. There's absolutely no longterm upside to it.

Most of the point of shows like TUF are to generate interest and introduce people to the product, and very little of it is about finding the next big name.

Wikipedia posted:

The winners of the first three seasons of The Ultimate Fighter competition, and certain runners-up depending on their performance in their competition finals, receive the touted "six-figure" contract to fight in the UFC. These contracts are specifically three-year contracts with a guaranteed first year.[26] Each year consists of three fights, the first year's purse per fight consists of $12,000 guaranteed with a $12,000 win bonus (a maximum of $24,000 per fight). The second year's purse per fight is $16,000 with a $16,000 win bonus (a maximum of $32,000 per fight) and the third year's purse per fight is at $22,000 with a $22,000 win bonus (a maximum of $44,000 per fight).[26]

A TUF winner who goes 9–0 can earn $300,000 total on the contract, but only $150,000 is guaranteed for all three years if nine fights are fought.[26] Some TUF competitors who did not win the series were also offered UFC contracts, although not on as attractive terms.[27]

This is a tiny cost, the people who win the Diva Search/Tough Enough contests in WWE probably stand to earn as much or more and they are almost never developed.

quote:

In the very unlikely scenario that TUF: Punk happened, I'm sure that there'd be some heavy meddling involved so that CM Punk isn't in the first fight and loses early.

I somehow doubt that Dana will have any interest in protecting Punk at this point.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just watched it again and when Couture has the first triangle on him, Toney doesn't know how to give up and is saying "i give" into Randy's ears. Randy lets up the choke and starts telling Yamasaki that Toney said "I give." Yamasaki asks Toney if he's ok, and Toney free from the choke is like "yeah I'm fine" so the fight continues. While Randy is punching him, Yamasaki tells him to tap if he's done. Then Randy puts the arm triangle on the ground and Toney just waves his arm in the air at the ref because he doesn't know what else to do before he goes to sleep.

While it's definitely true that CM Punk was not on the short list for the worst ever, this does not mean he belonged there.

I really can't believe anyone truly watched that "fight" and thought it was anything other than embarrassing. It's not like it was a title shot or something, they found a can.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Memento posted:

I got the impression that fink there might have forgotten to type "could have" (found a can).

I'll use this as my escape card.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Back when it looked like Punk would fight within a year of being signed, wrestling fans were higher on him, but still doubtful because of his age. Then it dragged on and on and the hype videos as depicted featured Punk feeding his chin to sparring opponents and having horrible posture, in addition to reports of him getting whooped off-camera.

You can get good will for telling Vince McMahon to go gently caress himself, but I haven't the foggiest idea why he thought MMA was a good idea when he can't even train properly.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

maybe it's me but from how he looks lately he appears like he has loving aids or something, just haggard and awful as gently caress. maybe it's that godawful beard.

He has looked like that since age 10.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Foul Fowl posted:

idris elba

lol, first I've heard of this.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Chris James 2 posted:

Voided to No Contest due to steroid pop

Does that mean Mark Hunt gets a better purse? I hope so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

El Estrago Bonito posted:

It seems weird for a wrestler to transition to MMA because, in a weird way, they are total opposites. Like it would make more sense for a pro wrestler to go into something like competitive dancing or some kind of Cirque type of deal. Because at it's core when you're wrestling you're supposed to be protecting the other guy in the ring (obviously this is not how it always works, but still) all your trained movements, strikes and routines are built around dealing as little possible damage to your "enemy" and using your own body in many cases to break their falls or take the brunt of the force from various "destructive" moves. It seems like if you had decades of training on how to get into a ring and fake punch someone it might get in the way of actually punching them, especially if you do those kinds of things as a gut reaction (I'm always impressed when wrestlers who obviously get concussed are still able to throw worked punches and do worked spots and it happens kinda frequently too). It seems like there would be more crossover skill with a thing like Dancing with the Stars.

Honestly the best bet I think for him to make money is he should team up with some organization and do a kind of straight edge tough love reality TV detox show thing, where, like, Punk, Dr Drew and Andrew WK help people kick addictions and live clean. That seems like a concept that could run for 5-6 seasons on TruTV or whatever and make everyone involved modest second house money.

It's basically a cross between tumbling, action choreography, and acting.

Most wrestlers fancy themselves as legitimately tough and know that UFC is getting bigger, while wrestling is stagnant, and felt like it was shrinking a couple of years ago before NXT finally took off as a thing people really wanted to watch.

• Locked thread