Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Andy Dufresne posted:

I guess I disagree, the entire reason he was brought on was to draw in fans so it makes perfect sense to pay him based on that.

He's not getting points because he's not the main or co-main.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

When has there ever been a ufc ppv on a friday
Here's a list of every UFC friday event. Last PPV was Lesnar/Overeem.

The Ultimate Fighter: Team Joanna vs. Team Cláudia Finale 8-Jul-16
The Ultimate Fighter: Team McGregor vs. Team Faber Finale 11-Dec-15
The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned Finale 12-Dec-14
UFC Fight Night: Jacaré vs. Mousasi 5-Sep-14
UFC Fight Night: Nogueira vs. Nelson 11-Apr-14
UFC on FX: Browne vs. Bigfoot 5-Oct-12
UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida 22-Jun-12
UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall 8-Jun-12
The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale 1-Jun-12
UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller 20-Jan-12
UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem 30-Dec-11
UFC 55: Fury 7-Oct-05
UFC 50: The War of '04 22-Oct-04
UFC 47: It's On! 2-Apr-04
UFC 45: Revolution 21-Nov-03
UFC 44: Undisputed 26-Sep-03
UFC 43: Meltdown 6-Jun-03
UFC 42: Sudden Impact 25-Apr-03
UFC 41: Onslaught 28-Feb-03
UFC 40: Vendetta 22-Nov-02
UFC 39: The Warriors Return 27-Sep-02
UFC 37: High Impact 10-May-02
UFC 36: Worlds Collide 22-Mar-02
UFC 35: Throwdown 11-Jan-02
UFC 34: High Voltage 2-Nov-01
UFC 33: Victory in Vegas 28-Sep-01
UFC 32: Showdown in the Meadowlands 29-Jun-01
UFC 31: Locked and Loaded 4-May-01
UFC 30: Battle on the Boardwalk 23-Feb-01
UFC 28: High Stakes 17-Nov-00
UFC 27: Ultimate Bad Boyz 22-Sep-00
UFC 26: Ultimate Field of Dreams 9-Jun-00
UFC 25: Ultimate Japan 3 14-Apr-00
UFC 24: First Defense 10-Mar-00
UFC 23: Ultimate Japan 2 19-Nov-99
UFC 22: Only One Can be Champion 24-Sep-99
UFC 21: Return of the Champions 16-Jul-99
UFC 20: Battle for the Gold 7-May-99
UFC 19: Ultimate Young Guns 5-Mar-99
UFC 18: The Road to the Heavyweight Title 8-Jan-99
UFC Brazil: Ultimate Brazil 16-Oct-98
UFC 17: Redemption 15-May-98
UFC 16: Battle in the Bayou 13-Mar-98
UFC 15: Collision Course 17-Oct-97
UFC 13: The Ultimate Force 30-May-97
UFC 12: Judgement Day 7-Feb-97
UFC 11: The Proving Ground 20-Sep-96
UFC 10: The Tournament 12-Jul-96
UFC 9: Motor City Madness 17-May-96
UFC 8: David vs. Goliath 16-Feb-96
UFC 7: The Brawl in Buffalo 8-Sep-95
UFC 6: Clash of the Titans 14-Jul-95
UFC 5: The Return of the Beast 7-Apr-95
UFC 4: Revenge of the Warriors 16-Dec-94
UFC 3: The American Dream 9-Sep-94
UFC 2: No Way Out 11-Mar-94
UFC 1: The Beginning 12-Nov-93

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

super macho dude posted:

lmao when CM Punk throws his back out getting out of the car on the way to the event and cant compete tonight.

Nah he'll step into the cage. I'll give the man credit. It takes something special to be willing to stand across from a man ready to (and very likely to) beat the hell out of you. He's got loving guts if nothing else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Would he get another fight so far up the card if he fought again?

Unless there's serious interest in seeing him he obliterated again

I doubt he fights in the UFC ever again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

The weird thing is it seems like wrestling fans are the ones who're more mad post-fight while it the general mma fan reaction has been "gently caress he sucked but hell he loving did it"

Because actually getting in there and fighting takes balls that 99% of people on the planet do not have. Brooks got his rear end whooped exactly like everyone expected, but he still had enough sack to go out there and loving do it. He got his rear end beat and knew that it was likely to happen going in, but he still stood in there and loving went for it. That's commendable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Andy Dufresne posted:

On MMA Hour Gall said he didn't get a backroom bonus on top of the 15/15. Pretty surprised.

I'm not. With the new ownership we don't know if the backroom bonus system will continue. Also he beat the poo poo out of Brooks basically flushing the chance of an future returns on the Punk experiment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

RagingHematoma posted:

After the flood of articles about how inspirational Punk was, it seems like the tide is turning. People are starting to come back to reality and acknowledge how stupid this was.

Do you guys think he tries to continue this just because he is too proud to admit he failed at something?

I absolutely think that he'll have at least 1 or 2 fights at whatever fight events Duke Roufas is running these days. He won't ever have another UFC fight, though, and he'll either be fighting other 30+ year olds making their pro debuts, or people that are 0-2 or 0-3 professionally.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

coconono posted:

No more stupid than jumping in a tub full of hot sauce or whatever not harmful to anyone else poo poo rich people do these days.

I suspect the new management will either release Punk from his contract or re-negotiate it so they can loan him to one of the fightpass feds. I'm sure they can find dudes a little closer to his skillset.

He's going to be straight up cut. He provides zero value to the UFC now, especially at such a high pay rate.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Renry
Rank
Rarold
Rarry
Renrietta

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Did he win his second fight yet?

He's currently medically suspended and cannot train at all until mid October and isn't allowed to have any contact for another 15 days after. Assuming Brooks got into camp right away following his suspension we won't see him fight until January at the earliest.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Senerio posted:

Please fight Jason David Frank. :pray:

JDF would probably crush Punk as well even though I'm certain Gall would destroy JDF also.

I don't think JDF a would do well under USADA either.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DeathChicken posted:

Sage would murder Punk dead

Absolutely.

Chris James 2 posted:

We'll find out when Sage fights Gall in 2 days

Even if Gall buzzsaws Sage the way he did Punk I still firmly believe Sage would have KOed him in round 1. Punk is far far too green to fare very well against anyone who has been fighting for a few years let alone someone who has competed in striking competitions his whole life. Micky Gall will probably beat Sage because he's a much better grappler than Northcutt. That doesn't in any way diminish that Sage is a very experienced striker and Phil Brooks is, well, not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bluedeanie posted:

You're describing Toney Couture. James Toney stood there and looked confused as Randy landed an ankle pick from a mile away with no setup and continued to lie flat on his back, still confused and occasionally throwing a punch to Randy's ribs, as Randy methodically and easily applied an arm triangle.

CM Punk defended sun attempts and in general at least tried to do the right things, he just wasn't good or athletically gifted enough to do it. Hence, he looked like a fighter out of his league, and not a celebrity (or unrelated combat sports athlete) pretending to be an MMA fighter.

Just watched it again and when Couture has the first triangle on him, Toney doesn't know how to give up and is saying "i give" into Randy's ears. Randy lets up the choke and starts telling Yamasaki that Toney said "I give." Yamasaki asks Toney if he's ok, and Toney free from the choke is like "yeah I'm fine" so the fight continues. While Randy is punching him, Yamasaki tells him to tap if he's done. Then Randy puts the arm triangle on the ground and Toney just waves his arm in the air at the ref because he doesn't know what else to do before he goes to sleep.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lid posted:

CM Punk is going to follow the career of Tila Tequila at this rate.

I think being a killer android on robot chicken is a pretty good life goal.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lid posted:

Googled her to see what shes up to

Literally a flat earth literal Nazi antisemite white supremacist

Well

That i didnt expect

Oh yeah she's absolutely batshit crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzsLxdiRF8

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HerraS posted:

much like CM Punk, a professional wrestler, got clowned on when he tried to step up to a fighter who has trained for decades to be as good as he can possibly be instead of a few months for a fat paycheck, so too do the untrained pro wrestling posters get humiliated when they get into an argument with the ufc posters who have honed their shitposting in the ufc threads so that they too might one day be as good as Keven

You know Gall hasn't actually been training for decades and may actually be just really good. I mean he was training a few years longer than Mr. Bump, but he is still very green in the combat sports world.

I mean I guess if you count some boxing when he was a teenager then Gall has been training technically for 12 years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Or you know, you could let the members of this forum talk about the topics that they want to.

Do you post anything anymore that isn't bitching about Jerusalem? He's doing a solid job.

• Locked thread