Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

flashy_mcflash posted:

First opponent confirmed: Chris Jericho

But if Punk does nothing but job to part-timers and Jericho does nothing but job to full-timers, ???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

as far as I am aware there are two UFC fighters, Bork Laser and Ronda Rousey so I'm pretty sure no matter which one he is going to fight he's going to die

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

this whole thing won't not be funny. here's an example of a time when an mma guy went to pro wrestling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_12qn29WKA

Wasn't this literally the drill instructor scene from starship troopers

Angle (legitimately) broke the guy before's ribs so this guy decided to try his ~sick cage fighting~ and owned him super hard, then got owned super hard in retaliation for making Angle look like a dummy on national TV

e:

quote:

Kurt came over and said who wants a chance, I raised my hand as fast as I could. Just because, I knew that I wrestled, my old coach was Danny Shay…Danny only lost to him in the Olympic trials by a couple of points, so I knew I had trained with guys that are as good as him. I wasn't really scared of him, plus I had the MMA stuff and I knew he wasn't really into that as much. So I got in there, they said the rules were no striking…and I caught him in a key lock…he's a strong guy. He's freakin' strong. So I caught him in a key lock, pulled him into a Kamura and tried to snap his arm off. It nearly worked, you guys can see how close it was.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Wasn't Kurt injured too when they shot that, like his knee or his neck was hosed up again which was his excuse as to why he got owned

Sanguinia posted:

Everything about that situation was retarded, up to and including the fact that Eddy, Benoit and Hardcore Holly decided to take liberties on the kid ON PAY PER VIEW in that years ROYAL loving RUMBLE in retaliation.

beginning of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXAsImy3IlM

in fact, everyone in this video is retarded

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Dec 9, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

maffew buildings posted:

maybe punk should've gone through the amateur ranks instead of going pro in someone's backyard so early

So his ceiling is Jeff Hardy?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah uh the rule is subtract 3 inches and 25 pounds from wrestling height so he's probably 5'10-5'11 and maybe 200 when he's fat

Kevin Nash (legit 6'10) said he was inspired to take up wrestling because Hulk Hogan (billed 6'10) walked past him at a show and he saw he had like 3 or 4 inches on the Hulkster.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Expected Butterbean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S652hvQaWfY

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Al Bundy literally has better credentials than CM Punk, that's dope as all hell

Well he did score four touchdowns in one game, what did Punk ever do

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

let's go EWR

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

dsriggs posted:

Say the Seahawks signed a guy who played flag football in the park. That hosed.

So is CM Punk Shane Falco or Tommy Maddox?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Daniel Bryan has trained MMA for years and said he would never do UFC because he doesn't like getting hit in the face but he'd love to do grappling tournaments after he retires.

He also kicked the rear end of a guy who robbed his house and put him in a rear naked choke hold until the cops showed up but I assume he didn't actually choke him because the guy was not dead

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gonzo McFee posted:

But enough about his feud with Jericho.

Hey he knows 1004 holds and 502 of them are armbars

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Does Goldberg, at age 48, have literally any MMA training at all, up to and including Punk's "sometimes I show up on Gracie Breakdown" recreational rolling?

Because why not go the whole hog and have Jim Ross fight Bas Rutten

He was an EliteXC color commentator, runs a muay thai gym, and wants to be a professional kickboxer.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Daniel Bryan said he would be interested in doing professional grappling after he retires from wrestling, maybe we can get him and Goldberg!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Even knowing Vince McMahon, I don't see how that New Jack story is a thing, unless someone from the back office literally hired New Jack and Vince didn't know anything about it until he's shaking hands with the guy.

Vince hates Raven. Someone hired Raven. Vince doesn't know until he sees him on TV and screams "WHO THE gently caress HIRED RAVEN" and demands they fire him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dangersim posted:

Wrestling posters have lots of good stories about carny wrestler's which I enjoy

vince mcmahon didn't go away on steroids charges because nailz is insane

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Aesop Poprock posted:

This is one of those stories I really doubt happened considering Raven was made hardcore champ within like two months and was given a championship match at Wrestlemania with Kane and Big Show when they still kind of mattered soon after. Not to mention that he remain employed from 2000-2003

What about the "Vince hates Raven because he did every drug you put in front of him and was Shane's best friend so he gave him all the drugs ever" story?

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 26, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

as a wrestlin fan, I enjoy the UFC because there is a giant referee who looks like Tommy Dreamer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

WCW paid KISS infinity dollars to play a song at a pay per view
WCW paid Michael Buffer infinity plus one dollars to announce every Nitro main event

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Bruce Buffer rules. Michael Buffer spent 6 months loving up everyone's name and couldn't look like he gave less of a poo poo.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Half the fun of wrestling is that everyone backstage is insane and half the people on the roster each other for various real or perceived slights. WCW was the excess and insanity of the wrestling business taken to heights it had never seen before and will never reach again.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Vince McMahon held a gimpy shoot fighting tournament with wacky rules in 1997 to cash in on the UFC. It was derided as not being wrestling and apparently designed to make Steve Williams (a badass amateur wrestler and megastar in Japan) a star in the WWF. So much so, that they paid him his winning bonus before the tournament ended. He ended up blowing out his knee in the semifinals. (Ken Shamrock and Dan Severn were under contract but "pulled out" after round 1/weren't allowed to compete.)

After half the people in it were injured, eventually Bart Gunn was victorious. They decided to have him SHOOT FIGHT BUTTERBEAN on pay per view. Butterbean said he would take a dive or at least make it competitive, Vince said no way, Bart Gunn can totally beat you so shoot dammit!

Bart Gunn was KOed in 15 seconds.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 30, 2015

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Then there was the time WWE tried to treat Tough Enough as a shoot (a reality TV program about people trying to break into the wrestling business) and had Daniel Puder put Kurt Angle (a big WWE star by this time) in a kimura. If the referees hadn't intervened to count Puder down (which he wasn't), he would've broken Kurt's arm and/or embarrassed him and the company on a Smackdown broadcast, because Kurt was not really in a position to tap out.

Never under-estimate how big the chip on WWE's shoulder is as regards MMA.

And on top of this, they decided to do this while Angle was recovering from yet another neck surgery. The idea was that the match would be after making the guys do a billion squat thrusts so they'd be gassed before it started. Angle actually broke the first guy's ribs, Puder was the second guy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

From what I remember, the intent was for Angle to put the rookies through the wringer by shoot wrestling them, but former MMA fighter Puder decided to fight back and caught Angle in a kimura after being taken down.

Yes, after he got murdered in the Rumble he left to go 8-0 in professional MMA.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This is OK but MMA junkies probably have lots to say about the quality of opponents that a guy will get in sub-UFC MMA like Strikeforce.

I just assume all non-UFC promotions are basically TNA

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, Angle was an Olympic heavyweight gold medalist. It's not unreasonable to think somebody with those credentials could outgrapple a MMA journeyman. Did Puder even have any pro fights at that point? Problem is Angle's body was a wreck.

He had 1. Angle's body was destroyed and he was coming off surgery.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

DeathChicken posted:

This is just a reminder that Angle apparently wanted to go into MMA himself to the point where he got to the physical, and then it all stopped because they pretty much went "Dear god, you are dead. Like legally dead, you are held together with silly putty and obscene amounts of painkillers, please go to a hospital." Kurt Angle is insane.

He had been pestering the UFC for years. Dana told him "pass your physical and you can be on Ultimate Fighter Heavyweights" and he failed it spectacularly. The reason he's not with the WWE right now is because Vince refuses to have an Olympian die in his ring, since Kurt is insane and does things like jump 15 feet off cages onto his neck. Dixie Carter seems to have no problem with that.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Oh yeah, he also has been on every steroid ever invented plus whatever else poo poo he shoved up his nose.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Butterbean did it because he wanted to be a wrestler and he thought that was the best way to do it, too.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

He wanted to be a wrestler but didn't get to? Hell, even Tank Abbott got to be a wrestler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sz7z-Z0dhw

Well, he wanted to be in the WWF and thought doing the Brawl For All match would be his way in. Turns out all it did was make everyone in the locker room hate him.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

This is the company that called up and fired a writer over and over again because they didn't think he was taking it hard enough.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Didn't Daniel Bryan do some training at an MMA gym to make his submission offense look more realistic? I mean other than the "chased guy who robbed his house five blocks and put him in a rear naked choke" thing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Street Horrrsing posted:

Art Jimmerson makes his triumphant return to the octagon. Disturbingly plausible.

Can Joe Son take fights in prison?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

1st AD posted:

honestly I'm surprised they couldn't get another ancient WWE guy to join CM Punk, that way whoever wins we...the fans win.

THAT'S KANE'S MUSIC

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

1st AD posted:

looks like they're just working stiff and not actually shooting

oh no I know it's not a shoot, it's just really funny seeing Kane work like that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ty1990 posted:

Seriously. He was a good pro wrestler and entertaining therefore he would be a good mma commentator? Maybe the play by play guy can be Ric Flair.

I see nothing wrong with this.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Being back the G-Man imo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

acai moonsault posted:

here's Hulk Hogan the racist being a big liar and saying he was offered a UFC contract. probably around the same time as he was offered to join Metallica http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2015/0504/593975/ufc-founder-responds-to-hulk-hogan-saying-he-was-offered-a-spot/

He has the credentials though, he fought the Undertaker in PRIDE in 1979

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

What if CM Punk wins because the Xes on his gloves are made of nanothermite paint

• Locked thread