Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Stevefin posted:

So I heard of this game ages ago, and how its grind would put many Asian free to play MMO's to shame.
So I guess my question that has been asked for the 100th time, Is it any good now that its up?

I got Fishing from 20-70 in about half a day of off and on play. I got Archery from 20-50 in an hour or so of shooting chickens. You can pretty much get newbies combat ready in a day's time, compared to weeks of hitting scarecrow targets for hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Avocados posted:

I got Fishing from 20-70 in about half a day of off and on play. I got Archery from 20-50 in an hour or so of shooting chickens. You can pretty much get newbies combat ready in a day's time, compared to weeks of hitting scarecrow targets for hours.
please stop hacking

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

So me and my friend capped out on the archery target, what's the easiest/quickest way of advancing past that? Shooting each other with shafts?

Also I guess the permissions aren't set up at the new place so we can't get added to the deed quite yet.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Justin Tyme posted:

So me and my friend capped out on the archery target, what's the easiest/quickest way of advancing past that? Shooting each other with shafts?

Also I guess the permissions aren't set up at the new place so we can't get added to the deed quite yet.

load up several thousand shafts, hope one of you can drive a boat, and go murder wildlife very slowly

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Making those thousands of shafts will also make you body control and fletching skyrocket.

Borat
Apr 20, 2004
Speaking of Testvan, he was another of our greatest terraformers. He built this ramp up to the Bearback Castle:

[/quote]

Hey I took that photo...

Back in as lljkBorat but just for a quick look..
Good I love this game.. tho I always end up walking off and getting lost and then spending days running from wild creatures ..

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I'd like an invite to the challenger village, Name is Stevefin in game. How original

Edit

Which one of you guys built a pillar to the sky?

Stevefin fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 26, 2014

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Oh man, has it really been seven years?

Really did not expect "lowtax" to be available as a username, welp :getin:

downloading graphics.jar
downloading sound.jar

edit: Killed by a hyena, then almost drowned trying to swim to what I think is the island

double edit: I made it to the island! I found some structures about buttholes and "idonteven" and "love shack", I'm assuming this is the right place?!

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Dec 26, 2014

bone napoleon
May 9, 2012

there is nothing
just got on the challenge server, could Naploon get an invite? thats me

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Things looking pretty grim for goons and our side on challenge, all the goons joined black summit for now. If you're not just looking to gently caress around it's a pretty bad idea to join up now, servers half way towards wipe and it's already looking like we lost.

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

Join up for the next round guys, this one is a flop.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Our shot at being the next greatest village superpower should be on Jan 10th.

e: also I had a dream spiders invaded earth last night but they were the same low res low poly hardly animated arachnids from Wurm online.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 26, 2014

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Delamore posted:

Things looking pretty grim for goons and our side on challenge, all the goons joined black summit for now. If you're not just looking to gently caress around it's a pretty bad idea to join up now, servers half way towards wipe and it's already looking like we lost.

So what you're saying is we need to use asymmetric insurgent tactics :getin:

Registered Loser
Dec 29, 2006

Jump into the steam chat again for a special wurming online project.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

70 archery now, allahu ackbar

we must go wreck havoc on the countryside

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Yeah I hope the devs were paying attention because I'd say it's bad design that the challenge is pretty much already won by one side less than halfway through the challenge time frame. However we have lots of good ideas on how to do better next time assuming the next challenge isn't pay to play.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Good lord get on goons, big battle going on and we need war arrow resupply from the fort.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Well that is a shame. guess I will have to wait till next one than

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Xibanya posted:

Yeah I hope the devs were paying attention because I'd say it's bad design that the challenge is pretty much already won by one side less than halfway through the challenge time frame. However we have lots of good ideas on how to do better next time assuming the next challenge isn't pay to play.

I would say that being able to pay 100 euros for an infinite heal item, half-cost spell casts, double favour regeneration, global guard tower attack notifications and locations when they get hit, and fighting bonus across half of your town is also a bad design???

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

I made it to the goon town! The map on the first page is very wrong.

Shame about this challenge, hopefully the next one isn't pay to play

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
Alright now that things have settled here's a quick review of this goon village and all the political drama that went down at the end of it.

Political Factions
  • Horde of the Summoned (HOTS] - One of the three default kingdoms. Members of this kingdom have a different deity than the other two kingdoms, and may attack each other without penalty. During this scenario it was plagued by in-fighting and lack of inter-village cooperation.
  • Chode Caliphate - The goon village for this scenario. Part of the HOTS kingdom. Led by myself as Ratskull.
  • Black Summit - Originally the largest and strongest village in the HOTS kingdom. It soon lost several members due to poor leadership, and alienated several allies due to monopolizing the resource spawns. Led by Defiance.
  • Blacker Summit - A group that broke off from Black Summit because of disagreements with the leadership. Formed another village nearby in the HOTS kingdom. Led by Gorillas.
  • Sebastiano's Group - I don't know the name of this village, but they're mostly players from the other vanilla PvP servers. They were in the HOTS kingdom and were led by Sebastiano.
  • Mol-Rehan (MR) - One of the three default kingdoms. Intended by the developers to be a smaller kingdom made of elite and experienced players. Apparently well organized and relatively egalitarian. Their frequent raids managed to unite the feuding HOTS villages but also drove Chode Caliphate mostly out of the game.
  • Jenn-Kellon (JK) - One of the three default kingdoms. Intended by the developers to be the default kingdom with a large number of new and inexperienced players. During this scenario it was a complete non-entity, with only a few small villages that were quickly overrun, and a few unorganized hermits that were hunted by much stronger villages.
  • Dateline NBC - A player-made kingdom based off the JK kingdom template. Apparently very well organized and composed of a small number of experienced players from the vanilla PvP servers. Most members eventually split off to join the HOTS villages after a disagreement with their leadership.

The founding of Chode Caliphate
The Challenge Server went live on December 10th around 3PM CST after a few hours of delays. I set out alone to scout for a good village location on the southern coast of the main landmass and was ganked by members of Black Summit who apparently mistook me for a member of another kingdom. Between this and Black Summit's dumb recruitment thread I decided they would be poor allies, I mean seriously take a look at their ridiculous leadership position titles. I chose a small island near HOTS and JK territory with plentiful resources under the assumption that our island location and distance from MR would protect us from raiding parties for 1-2 weeks. I was soon joined by a few veterans of earlier goon villages, and we founded the village of Chode Caliphate on a low-lying patch of flat ground to reduce the amount of labor needed to terraform the village foundation.

The goon village gains momentum
We quickly discovered that the notorious Wurm grind was removed from Challenge Server, and the goon village grew to a height of about 15-20 active players and a total membership count of about 30-35 players. Each day our experienced veteran players were organizing multiple hunting trips and gank squads, and we hunted down the unorganized pubbies in the JK kingdom without fear of reprisal. We launched a successful gank-raid against the MR kingdom, but they quickly retaliated and looted our off-deed mine forge while most of our players were offline and our village defenses were only 1/4 complete. I expected that boats would not be available until the end of the first week, but both we and our rivals had them by the 3rd day, and our island location offered little protection against seaborne raiding parties. We also discovered that Black Summit had walled in the nearby resource spawns, but kept our distance - they were too antisocial to cooperate with, but too powerful to antagonize.

The HOTS kingdom splinters
After the first raid by MR against our village we relocated everything from our off-deed mine to the village center, constructed two rings of walls with fortified guardhouses on the corners, and continued to organize hunting parties and raids in the unprotected JK lands. Black Summit began to lose allies at this point, and several players split off to found Blacker Summit under the leadership of Gorillas. A second and much larger raid by MR on the 10th day of the scenario smashed through both of our walls, although we put up significant resistance and almost repelled them with help from Blacker Summit. The next day a massive drama bomb exploded in the HOTS kingdom as Gorillas went nuts and banished most of his players for currently unknown reasons. Most of them joined Chode Caliphate as a temporary measure, and we also started to recruit some of the JK chumps whom we had previously been hunting for fun and practice. For a day we were officially the capital of HOTS, and our village was full of activity as refugees forged new weapons and armor to replace everything they lost in the political realignment.

The HOTS kingdom reunites
Gorillas somehow managed to regain the trust and loyalty of his followers, and they left along with most of the JK refugees to reestablish their village. Sebastiano's group briefly joined our village but dropped back out just as quickly to focus more time and attention to their village on the vanilla PvP servers. Our village membership dropped down to about 10 active players with a handful of pubbie refugees from various other villages. By this point we realized that each HOTS village was full of egomaniac spergs who all believed they were the best PvPers in the game and were entitled to all the kingdom titles and resource spawns, and each HOTS village hated the others with a burning passion. The threat of MR raids made them desperate for allies however, and they grudgingly agreed to a mutual defense pact. The next time MR launched a raid against Black Summit they were repelled by a large force composed of members from each HOTS village, but they retreated and reorganized in more advantageous terrain nearby, and the disorganized HOTS forces launched a badly timed and executed follow-up attack that was completely wiped out.

The goon village disintegrates
Normally goon villages start to run out of steam by the 2nd week as players get sick of the grind, but in this case I think it was mostly fear of MR raids and the busy holiday season that drove our membership down. Weekdays have significantly fewer players than the weekends too, and so when MR launched their 3rd raid on December 23rd we only had a handful of defenders online. Previous MR raids left most of our equipment and fortifications intact, but this latest raid was scorched earth, and the MR players also abused an exploit with siege shields to prevent our defenders from leaving the village to counterattack. I disbanded the village and everyone still interested in PvP has joined Black Summit for now. I'm going to spend some more time on my IRL commitments while I wait for details on the next Challenge Server scenario, and if it's still free-to-play I'll negotiate an alliance with a different faction with less sperginess and infighting than HOTS.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I was wondering what MR stood for, I was sitting in Mad Door reading the wiki when some guy was screaming text in the local chat MR was on their way. when I asked who MR was he said that they would kill me

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yay history posts! Player made history appeals to me in some strange way. Can't really explain it.

I think our Alliances changed today, that or the dude we were hunting a few days ago joined a friendly village and left his old one. I don't know anymore. Provided next round is still free to play, I think we'll have a far better chance should we remain relatively active. I don't really mind being the losing kingdom, but I think it's universally agreeable that being steamrolled in all confrontations is pretty undesirable. Despite that, I still had fun this round with Wurm being the strange niche game it's always been, especially with skill rates boosted.

I'm hoping we get far saner allies next round, though. Its pretty shocking to see how quickly alliances change on a daily basis, and its equally frustrating not knowing whats going on with former friends being enemies and blah blah blah blah :psyduck:

e: Also I think our Silent Hill friends/enemies got steamrolled today by MR. They're giving out the scorched earth treatment more.

buglord fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 27, 2014

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Black Summit is asking one of you to tell one of their officers that I, Lowtax, am legit :downs: thanks

Edit: I shall henceforth be known as Lowtax The Timberman! I cut down a loooot of trees for Black Summit. I finally got in, then some scrubs killed me while I was cutting more trees :(

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 27, 2014

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Avocados posted:

Yay history posts! Player made history appeals to me in some strange way. Can't really explain it.

I think our Alliances changed today, that or the dude we were hunting a few days ago joined a friendly village and left his old one. I don't know anymore. Provided next round is still free to play, I think we'll have a far better chance should we remain relatively active. I don't really mind being the losing kingdom, but I think it's universally agreeable that being steamrolled in all confrontations is pretty undesirable. Despite that, I still had fun this round with Wurm being the strange niche game it's always been, especially with skill rates boosted.

I'm hoping we get far saner allies next round, though. Its pretty shocking to see how quickly alliances change on a daily basis, and its equally frustrating not knowing whats going on with former friends being enemies and blah blah blah blah :psyduck:

e: Also I think our Silent Hill friends/enemies got steamrolled today by MR. They're giving out the scorched earth treatment more.

Yeah we got annihilated by MR yesterday in a day-long battle. I died maybe 4-5 times during the conflict but slayed many enemy horses with my bow :getin: Got up to 80+ archery skill and 55~ longbow skill in one battle.

These pubbies are absolutely insufferable to cooperate with. Half our army was running around naked trying to scavenge any weapons they could get their hands on while a few losers were hoarding all the "loot" to themselves. A few guys were even throwing a shitfit about wondering who had the dragon armor RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE of an intense melee when everyone was very busy trying not to die. Give me a break.

In true goon fashion, me and Cuck Yeager routed once everyone got trapped inside the smith building (cause goons are smart creatures) and managed to sneak out a back exit only to find a few fellow goon troopers that had the same idea as us, and we fled back to Black Summit with our lives and equipment :v: I only imagine all the pubbies that hid in the smithy eventually got slaughtered as the last thing we heard when we fled was the sound of mauls smashing the building walls down. Many lives were lost that day, but the goons escaped inshallah

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 27, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm conflicted about Wurm pubbies. They range from incredibly decent, welcoming and helpful people like in Epic, to overly aggressive get-off-my-lawn sperg types, to well meaning but sorta stupid allies in Chaos, or the insufferable sperglords of HOTS this round. Seems like each map and type has its own personality.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Avocados posted:

I'm conflicted about Wurm pubbies. They range from incredibly decent, welcoming and helpful people like in Epic, to overly aggressive get-off-my-lawn sperg types, to well meaning but sorta stupid allies in Chaos, or the insufferable sperglords of HOTS this round. Seems like each map and type has its own personality.

We were lucky that one of the biggest assholes of the group we joined up with was already burnt out and mostly gone by the time we got there.

I think if we do this again we need a better spot and a plan to follow going in. Everyone was kind of floating around the first couple days. Put the new guys straight to work with assigned jobs like we did back in the old towns.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Depends posted:

We were lucky that one of the biggest assholes of the group we joined up with was already burnt out and mostly gone by the time we got there.

I think if we do this again we need a better spot and a plan to follow going in. Everyone was kind of floating around the first couple days. Put the new guys straight to work with assigned jobs like we did back in the old towns.

Also pick a more defensible location, we all saw what happened at Silent Hill when you give the enemy convenient avenues to attack. Can ballistas be deployed on multi-story buildings? They might be good at counterbattery vs catapaults. Put em on every corner of the deed in bigass towers so those plate armor fuckers can't wail away with impunity.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is this F2P? Can I get good without paying?

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Turtlicious posted:

Is this F2P? Can I get good without paying?

The current scenario is F2P and Rolf is using a temporary hack to give every character on Challenge Server premium time for like the next century or something. We don't know if the next scenario will be F2P, and probably won't find out until January 2nd at the earliest. The current scenario also ends in like 13 days but that's more than enough time to get 70 fighting and archery skill and get involved in some large battles during the last two weekends of the scenario, if you don't mind fighting against an overwhelmingly strong alliance with tepid support from terrible spergy allies.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I am so going to download this when I get off of work. I'm going to RP soo hard as a bad rear end weirdo cook.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I think I am gonna wait till the reset, that battle at Silent Hill left me pretty disillusioned with the current situation.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Justin Tyme posted:

I think I am gonna wait till the reset, that battle at Silent Hill left me pretty disillusioned with the current situation.

If the battle went anything like our run-ins with MR and NBC Dateline I don't blame you. It was kind of hard to get motivated to do things after you know the enemy can cut right into your base at leisure.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Avocados posted:

If the battle went anything like our run-ins with MR and NBC Dateline I don't blame you. It was kind of hard to get motivated to do things after you know the enemy can cut right into your base at leisure.

Even wearing ql70 full plate I would get whacked with severes and within 10 seconds need to run away less I be killed. There can't even be effective melee/tanking/shot calling when everyone can cripple everyone that quick. It seems that large cart battle chariots are the effective tactic to use, they had two being pulled by bison (who are difficult to kill with arrows due to their thicker hides) and whenever someone would be too injured to fight and get away they would hop on and make it away safely. Next round whenever we go to battle we should invest in chariots given how effectively they were utilized in that battle.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I have 80ql+ armour and usually died in under 5s last fight I was in

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
It's the loving adamantine I'd wager. I hope in the next challenge the resource drops are semi-random or otherwise impossible to monopolize.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Xibanya posted:

It's the loving adamantine I'd wager. I hope in the next challenge the resource drops are semi-random or otherwise impossible to monopolize.

Is there a thread on the wurm forums we can go whine in about this?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I don't like these pubbies we play with, they take things too seriously.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Justin Tyme posted:

I don't like these pubbies we play with, they take things too seriously.

I think you joined right after we repelled MR from Black Summit and then unsuccessfully charged at them. Though most folks concluded that, even though we suffered a preventable loss, the whole skirmish was still fun and at least a change of pace from regular grind. But there were a few dudes on Teamspeak from Black/Blacker Summit losing their heads about it the entire way though, and then playing the blame game so someone could pay for the defeat. One dude was on the verge of having a meltdown until he was banned from the lobby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Avocados posted:

I think you joined right after we repelled MR from Black Summit and then unsuccessfully charged at them. Though most folks concluded that, even though we suffered a preventable loss, the whole skirmish was still fun and at least a change of pace from regular grind. But there were a few dudes on Teamspeak from Black/Blacker Summit losing their heads about it the entire way though, and then playing the blame game so someone could pay for the defeat. One dude was on the verge of having a meltdown until he was banned from the lobby.

That's how I see things, like the other day when Silent Hill was screaming in kchat all day for help against the MR raiders and everyone at Black Summit just gave a resigned "meh, we are 8, they are 8, they will easily kill us all, to go there would be to go to our deaths and we can't just give them gear and battle rank so easily!!!" It's like, gently caress dude, is this game even fun for you anymore? Is everything just purely about items and numbers now? I was saying we should go assist them (mainly because I wanted to try out my newly-grinded archery skills in pvp and I had scavenged hundreds of arrows from the battlefield) all day until we all just seemingly randomly assembled at an arbitrary time. Why we didn't go earlier, who knows.

I said it once and I said it before, these people are like the people in Project Reality who form a tank squad but refuse to take the tanks out because they don't want to risk getting them blown up and losing a bunch of tickets. It's refusing to play the game so that you never have the possibility of losing.

• Locked thread