Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Catsplosion posted:

gently caress it, I was going to avoid playing but I don't think I can.
I'll make an account tomorrow. I've got work today and then two days off.

Use to play with SA (Bearback) before disband, then FP, then helped build Woodscove with Dadd and a group of my friends, then FP, then Kyara.

Wurm is the grindiest game I have played but also the most fun because it's all about the players. Directly being able to affect the landscape is something other MMO developers really need to pick up on.

Does anybody have any stories regarding the history of goon towns?

I remember Bearback mountain but none of the others, even though I remember joining the after the disband of the FP Pirate Outpost.

There is barely any grind on the new server. I gained 70 fletching, 65 bowyery, and 60 weaponsmithing in a day. With the skill curve on top of the increased skill gain, haven't needed to grind since then. 70 skill is effectively somewhere around 90.
On this go round spamming items is the best gains. Any small item you can spam thousands of with the shorter timers makes your skills shoot through the roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

BERGfu posted:

I've been busy collecting all the wood and resources we have scattered across the kingdom. We should probably pull the tiny iron lumps out of the forge to cool and then combine them in a bsb. Sure the quality will be poo poo but we can at least use it to skill boost then melt down again to do whatever.

You can use low quality iron to make arrowheads, nails, iron ribbons and such. The low quality logs are good for carving up into shafts, arrow shafts, handles and stuff like that. Or just using as forge fuel.

GoldenJoe posted:

Fourth time something something; I'm back in as Stegaman.

Kill me now god.

We kept your giant farm in the desert on Indy for at least a year after you quit last time. Serp renamed it "The GoldenJoe Memorial Farm" and used it to grind until some random guy exploited a bug to remove the gatehouse and deed it for himself.

Depends fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 18, 2014

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Making those thousands of shafts will also make you body control and fletching skyrocket.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Avocados posted:

I'm conflicted about Wurm pubbies. They range from incredibly decent, welcoming and helpful people like in Epic, to overly aggressive get-off-my-lawn sperg types, to well meaning but sorta stupid allies in Chaos, or the insufferable sperglords of HOTS this round. Seems like each map and type has its own personality.

We were lucky that one of the biggest assholes of the group we joined up with was already burnt out and mostly gone by the time we got there.

I think if we do this again we need a better spot and a plan to follow going in. Everyone was kind of floating around the first couple days. Put the new guys straight to work with assigned jobs like we did back in the old towns.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Biowarfare posted:

what is this

The GMs used to take the valuable items from permabanned players and stuff it in chests and hide it somewhere on the server, then drop hints on the forums.
Apparently they are starting something like that again except without the banned player part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
Looks like the next round starts on the 11th. Wonder if they'll manage to finally get the ballista working before the start.
Starting everyone with 70fs will be a nice change to get the action going quickly, and the ability to respawn with armor will be good during a siege so you don't have to try to defend half geared after your first death.
Screenshot of the map on the page.
http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/117886-news-update-work-and-progress-week-5/

quote:

Challenge Round 2, Dominance!

This round we want to give more incentives for kingdom cooperation.
Empowering starting players in order to make them feel more at par with the veteran Wurm players.
We have also made quite a lot of other changes based on the feedback from the forum.

First off, this time we will feature our very first fully hand crafted island.
As our earlier vision was we wanted to create a map with equal starting points and points of strategic interest and Cauldron is the result.

In Cauldron each of the three kingdoms start with a single starter deed each on one of the individual offshoots of the island.
In the middle is the Hunt Of The Ancients (HOTA) zone which will have one single and important resource point with a bit longer intervals between spawns.
The resource point will be guarded by buffed kingdom guards who are aggressive towards anyone threatening their loot.
There will be no building or terraforming allowed in the hota zone.

Between the starter deed and hota zone each kingdom has a “Battle Camp” which is a capture point.
No building or terraforming is allowed here.
This is a strategic asset as it will in the end determine which kingdom comes out as victorious.
As long as your kingdom is in control of a battle camp, the kingdom receives points over time.
It also means that the kingdom controlling two or more battle camps receive more points over time.

You will start with 70 fighting skill (which equals 90% of max skill), the possibility to ride horses from day one.
You will also with each respawn get a choice of starting gear.
For example: A High QL leather, Medium QL chain or low QL plate armor.
Also which weapon or weapon with shield in medium quality.
The starting gears can not be improved or recycled into crafting materials.
If they are dropped or its wearer dies they are instantly destroyed.

There will be no PMKs allowed for this round.

Treasure chests will get spawned at random locations on the map containing valuable resources.

The preliminary release date of Challenge round Dominance is set to Wednesday 11th of February.

• Locked thread