Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I am still overall enjoying my game related posting experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Eonwe posted:

every post I've seen you make in games or gbs is super unfunny, but I don't read the xbox thread, maybe you are a superstar there

He's just bitter.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Stux posted:

There is a correlation here, see if you can find it.

Does it have something to do with hot dog hats?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Widestancer posted:

It's way more fun to actually play a bad game with other people than it is to just bitch about it. I think that idea has a lot of merit to it. There are several cheap terrible games out there and not only that terrible mods and servers for various games most of us probably already own as well.

With steam broadcast the potential for sharing funny poo poo with other goons just got way better too!

Steam's free-to-play section isn't just lovely Korean MMOs anymore, either. There's a great big mess of free indie masterpieces of highly questionable value.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Shooting Blanks posted:

Does it have something to do with hot dog hats?

:wink:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

Steam's free-to-play section isn't just lovely Korean MMOs anymore, either. There's a great big mess of free indie masterpieces of highly questionable value.

This sounds like a good time in the making. As much as some goons loathe making funny pictures and videos that's what draws people in and honestly some of it is really loving funny once one takes the stick out of one's butt.

poo poo, I bet Garbage Day would love to have more material to work with for front page shenanigans. Maybe not, but I'll hazard a guess.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think School of Dragons would be a fun terrible f2p game outing. Its a 'MMO' based on the How to Train your Dragon franchise, lol

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
i guess my problem or irritation maybe is that it took a thread like this to get people talking about doing something like that which leads me to think that people still are for some reason afraid to post threads and i hate that

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
Hello kewpuH.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Kewpuh posted:

i guess my problem or irritation maybe is that it took a thread like this to get people talking about doing something like that which leads me to think that people still are for some reason afraid to post threads and i hate that

we aren't allowed to post fun threads everyone knows that

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

THE PENETRATOR posted:

Hello kewpuH.

heLO

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Kewpuh posted:

I will post a thread a day as a shining example to everyone.

My guess: People are still worried about not only moderation (less so now I think) but also about a pile of goons going "ugh this thread sucks" as if that means anything. I mean, poo poo, these are the same people who think Guacamelee was a bad game because of memes and hate the shibe so gently caress them.

If they are worried, well they shouldn't worry about that because if the thread sucks enough it will get trolled to death and/or gassed.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kewpuh posted:

Honestly until Imp Zone came into the Archeage thread I didn't know that the rules had relaxed. I have a feeling a lot of people are in that same situation. I've been on Mumble with people and they see posts without punctuation even and they seem to think those people are at risk of being probated.

But yes, what Widestancer said as well. It'll just take goons telling the negative goons to stop being dicks probably before people loosen up on making threads.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i refuse to post threads because experience has shown that nobody watches my youtube videos, clearly i am an undesirable. thank you for listening.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Eonwe posted:

Honestly until Imp Zone came into the Archeage thread I didn't know that the rules had relaxed. I have a feeling a lot of people are in that same situation. I've been on Mumble with people and they see posts without punctuation even and they seem to think those people are at risk of being probated.

this is also true. are no capitalising and no punctuation posts even ok outside of threads like that and the xbone thread?? who knows?!? perhaps the rules could be updated a bit with specifics on things like this to reflect the new more relaxed moderation in games

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

this is also true. are no capitalising and no punctuation posts even ok outside of threads like that and the xbone thread?? who knows?!? perhaps the rules could be updated a bit with specifics on things like this to reflect the new more relaxed moderation in games

Yeah the rules need to be looked at.

I mean if this rule in Zoolooman's sticky:

quote:

Console Warriors:

Buying a PS4 or playing on PC doesn't make you a member of a special tribe. Playing Dota doesn't make you better than playing League. Don't be the guy who defines himself with his purchasing decisions. Don't kill other people because they prefer something else.

Were actually enforced we would have a lot of people probated all the time.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

With that being said tribalism in gaming sucks and people should just have fun together.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Kewpuh posted:

It could just be that no one really had the idea or initiative until we came together to ramble about the forum itself. There's no real "general chat" or crew threads to generate ideas like some of the other subforums have. I don't think that's a bad thing or that we necessarily need them, but I think that makes your State of Games threads more valuable.

I've noticed more random fun threads and threads for smaller games over the last few months, so I think people are coming around.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I meant to post this bad post in the Scrapbook thread. Sorry!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I think a general chat thread could be a good idea. it would allow people to casually post together which would then lead to more community stuff like these game playing ideas

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kewpuh posted:

no matter how many times you slam out the :justpost: emote we're still a bunch of nerds who are terrified of the teacher calling on us

the idea of posting a thread triggers a deep, primal fear, because what if a goon calls you a fucklord

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

A Games chat thread would inevitably lead to people being really retarded and over sharing so I am okay with this.

Whether it's good for the forums or not is another thing but I bet it would end up unintentionally funny.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Here have fun people who wanted a chat thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686936

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Unless someone else wants to I'll make a Bad Games Extravaganza thread when I get home. What do people think, should they be weekly games, monthly games, post whatever you've got, some combination?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Zombie Samurai posted:

Unless someone else wants to I'll make a Bad Games Extravaganza thread when I get home. What do people think, should they be weekly games, monthly games, post whatever you've got, some combination?

I'm gonna throw in with monthly or weekly so that people have a chance to hop on board.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Its hard to wrangle goons so I think monthly is good

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
If being more relaxed means the future of the forum is filled with garbage posters like Widestancer then let's go back to heavy-handed moderation

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Widestancer posted:

I'm gonna throw in with monthly or weekly so that people have a chance to hop on board.

i think it could be good to maybe do both if that isnt over stretching it. that way the weekly ones could be the obviously and immediately terrible games no one would be able to stand, with a monthly game which is more of a slow burn/worth seeing through for all its horriblness. or perhaps do it based on the particular games.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Adam Bowen posted:

If being more relaxed means the future of the forum is filled with garbage posters like Widestancer then let's go back to heavy-handed moderation

If being more heavy-handed means the future of the forum is filled with garbage posters like Adam Bowen then let's stay with the relaxed moderation.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Stux posted:

i think it could be good to maybe do both if that isnt over stretching it. that way the weekly ones could be the obviously and immediately terrible games no one would be able to stand, with a monthly game which is more of a slow burn/worth seeing through for all its horriblness. or perhaps do it based on the particular games.

This is a good idea; some games will be a flash in the pan and others will probably be ones that people enjoy returning to. Like, when we did Evolve in Imp Zone it lasted a day or so but Town of Salem lasted way longer (we're still playing).

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Eonwe posted:

If being more heavy-handed means the future of the forum is filled with garbage posters like Adam Bowen then let's stay with the relaxed moderation.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Adam Bowen posted:

Ever since that gamers.txt thread got shut down because it sucked you've been really bitter. That's not cool.

What would you change moderation wise so that we have some concrete feedback and not just a really lame slapfight?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
By the way Town of Salem is pretty fun for a browser game. Highly recommended.

Oh! What about dungeon crawl stone soup? Browser based, tough, has a tutorial, doesn't require you to constantly look at a wiki.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Stux posted:

Widestancer posted:

This is a good idea; some games will be a flash in the pan and others will probably be ones that people enjoy returning to. Like, when we did Evolve in Imp Zone it lasted a day or so but Town of Salem lasted way longer (we're still playing).

Agreed. Those games I linked earlier are pretty hard to get more than one sitting out of, so they'd probably make for good weekly discussions. For monthlies we could do stuff like bad MMOs, botched sandbox games, indie RPG Maker epics... the possibilities are endless! And it would be easy enough to switch a game from one to the other if it has longer or shorter appeal than we expected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think you can avoid being heavy handed and still not support stupid console warrior bullshit. It's fine if there are dedicated threads or whatever but it's pretty meaningless in other threads.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Widestancer posted:

Go with monthly for now so goons can slowly transition. I think weekly might be too fast and it could burn out quickly.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Eonwe posted:

Oh! What about dungeon crawl stone soup? Browser based, tough, has a tutorial, doesn't require you to constantly look at a wiki.

I kind of want to say it shouldn't be stuff that already has a thread.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Stelas posted:

Yeah I guess so but I just suggested it because it'd be funny to see all the terrible ways people would die

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

Yeah, it seems kind of pointless to do stuff that already has a dedicated thread and a lot of playerbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

It shouldn't matter if it has a thread or not is my input but I do think it would be cool to try to track down some odd balls. lovely odd games don't usually get their own threads so that could solve itself.

But if a bunch of "Misunderstood Games (don't shoot can't breathe) thread" posters wanna dcss sure

• Locked thread